New here looking for FMS and depression support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kardog, Dec 4, 2002.

1. kardog

kardog New Member

Hi-
    I just found this site and spent 2 hours reading thru lots of messages. I am a stay at home mom and have had FMS and depression for about 7 years. Both have been a lot worse since June and I've been on the drug roller coaster since then. I am now taking Lexapro, Wellbutrin SR, Ativan (weaning off), Ambien or Trazodone for sleep. I keep hearing over and over that I need to exercise so I joined Curves and went for awhile, but I could never get past the exercise making the fibro worse. I have been very isolated the past few months and thought I'd try connecting with others in the "same boat" as I am. Any suggestions on how to motivate myself to get up and move and stop obsessing on how lousy I feel all the time? Sorry this is so long, hope someone can give me some support. THANKS!
  2. kardog

kardog New Member

Hi-
    I just found this site and spent 2 hours reading thru lots of messages. I am a stay at home mom and have had FMS and depression for about 7 years. Both have been a lot worse since June and I've been on the drug roller coaster since then. I am now taking Lexapro, Wellbutrin SR, Ativan (weaning off), Ambien or Trazodone for sleep. I keep hearing over and over that I need to exercise so I joined Curves and went for awhile, but I could never get past the exercise making the fibro worse. I have been very isolated the past few months and thought I'd try connecting with others in the "same boat" as I am. Any suggestions on how to motivate myself to get up and move and stop obsessing on how lousy I feel all the time? Sorry this is so long, hope someone can give me some support. THANKS!
  3. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

For starters, you're doing the right thing! Read all the posts to see what's out there, and that will help you define the specific questions you want answered. I've only been here a few weeks myself, but already this place has become my home. I am fortunate to have a loving supportive family, but this is a b*tch to live with, and sometimes this is the only place you can come for the support and empathy you need. As understanding as my husband tries to be, I don't get REAL support from him until I go off on one of my screaming weepies (which I try not to do to often, but you know what they say...stuff happens). I used to be so very very active, race horses, hike, fish, hunt....now I can't do squat without it worsening my symptoms. I just ordered a tape I heard about here, Yoga for aches and pains, and I'm going to try that (it just came today, along with my heated mattress pad...God is certainly smiling upon me today!) The motivation part I have a hard time offering suggestions on. I know my family doesn't understand it, but the only thing that gets my butt out of bed in the morning is the fact that I have a horse to feed who can't care for himself. I can't really ride anymore, but I love that darn nag and keep him anyway, so he's what get's me moving. Once I get going, I grit my teeth and tell myself that this DDDDD disease is not going to lick me (Gosh, now I sound like Scarlett O'Hara!). Anyway, welcome....I'm sure you will find all the support here you need to help you through.
    Peace, Stormy
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

You've found the right place to be to vent and rave and learn and support, so just sit back and read and be welcomed by all of us!!! You are gonna be glad you stopped here. I have gotten to know so much more by being here and I have met many friends who have supported and advised me since I came! I feel much more empowered when I go to the doctor now, because I have so much more info and other cases of FMS to compare mine with.
    I, too, have a serious problem with exercising. Some times I can tolerate it, but usually walking at the park is the best I can do....right now. Who knows what I'll feel like in a day or so!
    Read our bios and learn about each of us. Just click on our names beside our replies (after you've logged in) and read all about us. When you can, fill out your bio, too, and we can know you better!!!
    What could be better? Feeling good might be an answer, but that may not be an option for today, so just enjoy reading and writing here!
    Nice to meet you!
    Love and empathy!
    Kady
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You will definitely find people in the same boat here! I'm glad you found this site; and I think we've all had periods where we've obsessed about how crummy we feel all the time--that's all part of the package. I usually come here & read posts and realize that I'm not alone---other people get down, have the same symptoms I do, feel confused or hopeless at times---all things that at least make me feel like I'm not in this by myself. It's comforting to know other people here understand & care a great deal, so visit here often---and you'll learn so much that will help you cope & get through those particularly tough days. Everyone here is different in how they deal with this DD, be it meds or supplements or exercise or diet, so there's a lot of info out there to take advantage of.

Again, welcome, and hope you feel better & a little less isolated. You have friends who understand here!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Kim

Kim New Member

Can you maybe find a walking partner? Even somebody who can visit you in the afternoon and do some stretching exercises with you. Sometimes having someone to talk with and develop a close friendship makes exercise easier.

Is there a FM support group in your area. You might be able to find some women there who has kids too and you can connect and support one another.

Meanwhile, there's so much to learn here.

I have depression, too but can't take meds. I've had shock therapy for depression a few times and that made it so much better but eventually the depression and pain came back. It's very easy to get caught in the self absorption mode.....been there lots of times.

Best wishes and prayers.

Kim
  7. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

This site has lots of valuable info. Look at the top of the screen and cruise around to your heart's content.

As far as the exercise goes, it depends on a lot of factors.
    hat else do you have besides FMS? What kind of activity level are you used to?
    As rule of thumb, we never ever need to do anything high impact, or even low impact really. Walking, Thi Chi, yoga, are always good places to start.

I take Lexapro too and trazadone. Both help and I haven't noticed any ill affects. I also take Flexeril now and methotrexate for RA.

No one answer is a one size fits all. You just have to put your self at the top of your list of priorities until you can figure out what works for you.

Again welcome, I hope you like it here, I sure do!
    Barb
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What helped me the most in the beginning was physical therpy which consisted of stretches and flexes to maintain flexibility and strength. These exercises are so gentle that they can be done even when I'm in excessive pain and when bedridden with fatigue, really! Doing these exercises actually cuts down on the pain.

Even doing this little bit of movement helps to not feel depressed because of lack of exercise. Of course, when I'm feeling well, I try to do a lot more.

I'm glad you found us.

Love, Mikie
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Glad you found us! I know when I stumbled in here, it was such a welcome relief. I have FM and CF---and it's being compounded right now by depression, so I know how you are feeling. I am also going the other route and discovering the heights of mania----kinda like a roller coaster ride with aches and pain...lol...
    Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you, and tell you this is a great place for support. We all lean on eachother. As you mentioned we are all in the "same boat", and that boat rows easier, when there are lots of people to paddle, instead of trying to do it on your own. I know when I am depressed, its hard to socially interact, but so important. Its a wonderful place for information, as well.
    Make yourself at home, and we look forward to learning more about you!
    Karen