New here - need help, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jc1085, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jc1085

jc1085 New Member

Hi everyone! I've just been diagnosed with CFS / Fibromyalgia - which, actually, thank God! It sure answers a lot of questions and I no longer think I'm crazy!!!

Actually, the very WORST thing to me is, um, the constipation! I've been suffering from IBS (I guess) for years.

I'm "normal" one day and then extremely constipated the rest of the week. My doctor prescribed Glycolax for me but I can't stand it - it only seems to make me more bloated until I drink enough of it to get diarrhea.

Anyone have constipation this bad? Is there ANYTHING that will help me become more regular?

Sorry for the somewhat embarrassing question as my first post but, as you can tell, this is making me crazy!!!

I'm to the point that I'm about to start taking laxatives every day.

Thank you in advance for any advice and help.

2. jc1085

jc1085 New Member

Thank you for the advice (I guess I should have done a search first but I was / am desperate!

Can you advise how many prunes to eat daily? Would it depend on weight or anything like that?

3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have I.B.S. with constipation. The meds I take make it even worse.
    Everyone is different, so you may need to try a few things to find what works best for you.
    For me eating lots of veggies ( mostly raw) and little to no sugar or refined white products, such as white bread (oh and no cheese).
    I also drink lots of water(about 10 to 12 glasses).
    I try to walk around the house (continully for about 10 min.) for exercise, if you can do more that's even better.
    I also take probiotics and a fiber called Glucomannan.
    It doesn't cause gas like other fiber's.
    I was given prescription Zelnorm, but it caused gas, pain and just wasn't worth it.
    I hope that helps.:)
    Claudia
  4. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Hi! Glad you posted your first question. Don't be embarassed as chances are that others have similar problems.

I think I was born constipated. Like you, go 4 or 5 days without doing anything then 1 day of discomfort and diahrea. I am still that way, and being on several meds can cause this if it has come on suddenly. Doc told me that even fiber supplements can have a reverse reaction (ie, being even more constipated) for some people (ie, me). I was taking Senekot once a day and that helped a little, but not much.

I agree with trying prunes first. Go slowly as you don't want to get excess gas or cramping.

Good luck and welcome!
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I used to have a problem with constipation due to a med (Cisapride) I was taking and I had to use the Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea, 2 cups a day. You can find that at health food stores or some grocery stores have it. It is sort of a laxative, I had to drink 2 cups a day of it.

There are times when things like prune juice, etc. just won't work. Those things didn't help me at all. The only thing was the tea. I was also on Mevacor back then and that gave me constipation badly. I was a mess back in the early 90's.

I'm sure others will be able to help you with better advice. Now I have the opposite problem.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Some other things that might help are:
    raw apples
    high figer, whole grain cerials
    flax seed meal

It might be more comfortable to eat something that would gently 'move things along' with every meal rather than blast your system with a harsh laxative every few days.
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I drink metamucil every day. Have for at least fifteen years. It works fantastic and tastes like tang. It isn't gritty like it was years ago. Sure solved my problem.
  8. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I would say take benefiber or metamucil each night or every other night. The laxatives will definately be too harsh.

Prunes should also help, hope your feeling better, Ritatheresa
  9. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

A naturopath doc once told me that applesauce at bedtime can have a laxative effect. I never tried it but at least it's something people eat everyday so should be safe to try.
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is a great product. Not only does it work as an anti inflamatory and pain reliever BUT it makes you "GO" also the new Blueberry/Pomegranite juice they do. It is organic.

Welcome to the board. Also as Wake says, Prunes Prunes Prunes are very good for you...also dates and figs. In UK when I was a kid, if you were constipated there was a product called Syrup of Figs. Make sure you get Un sulphured ones and hopefully, organic.

Love Anne C