New here, need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littleorangegirl, Nov 11, 2005.

1. littleorangegirl

littleorangegirl New Member

I'm new to a message board. Found this site by looking up medical information - I only found the same - no help information. No explanations or reasons for the pain, fatiugue, headaches and depression. I'm amazed that there are others just like me. I had the day off today because of the holiday. Thank god for days off. My coworkers often ask what I did on the weekend. My usual response is "stayed home". What they don't know is that I can barely make it through the week and need the weekend to get better. No one knows that I often think about suicide. I really understand suicide. I think about it - if I told anyone they would be worried but it's the truth. Luckily, I'm able to snap out of those thoughts and carry on. I have a great husband and two children (young adults). I will keep reading your posts and see if I can figure out how to get better. I'm not going to a doctor - been there, done that.
  2. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

In my own experience, co-workers are not a very good source of support when it comes to these matters. I quit trying to confide in them and turned to better, more understanding sources of support. I'm rather new to this board also, but I have found that the people here are passionate and caring.

I have finally come to terms with my overwhelmingly depressed feelings. I have a family and responsibilities that keep me moving. And I thank God everyday.
    I figure I'm here on earth to learn. Experience is all part of that.

I also have little to no faith in doctors at this point. I try to educate myself the best I can and cope day to day. Some days you'll find me completely buried under a blanket wishing the world away. Other days, I'll be plotting what I want to accomplish next. These days there is way more plotting, though, than actually doing! Thats all right. All my life I've had a depressive nature. I'm accepting that. I figure if these are the cards I'm dealt, then I'd best learn to play.

Never give up! One of the things that has always kept me going is that if I would give up, God would send me back to earth to start my lesson right from the beginning all over again. I'm not going to chance it.
    Anyway, please post when you need a friend!

edited: I'm sorry about my original reply. I didn't know that discussing suicide was against the message board rules. I hope I have edited well enough to convey my message without breaking the rules.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I sympathize with your aversion to doctors. I have wasted SO much time, energy, and money on ignorant health care professionals. However, some are now starting to learn about these diseases and how to treat them. They may not be able to 'cure' you, but they can increase your functionality and quality of life. There is a doctor referral section on this site where you might be able to find someone who could be of use to you.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Maybe everyone thinks about suicide at times. I heard someone on the radio recently discussing how he seriously thought of it years ago, and realized quickly, it was the most selfish thing he could do because of his kids and wife.

We must try to remember, life can always change. I tell myself the pendulum can only swing one way for so long.

You are not alone in your struggles, remember that. Also realize, you really can get better. I did, and now I just take one day at time and do the best I can.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Welcome to our board/online support group! You have come to the right place! We all have daily pain, fatigue, sleepless nights, and much more.

It's really sad that you often think about suicide with to young adults and a husband who need you.

I don't think I can discuss this further, because I think suicide is one of the topics that is forbidden to discuss according to the rules of the board--and it's too late at night for me to read all the rules again.

So, all I will say is that even though you don't want to go to a doctor, you do need to go to one and get on some meds that will help you as well as help your pain.

I would think you would greatly benefit from an anti-depressant. You need to tell a doc what you have told us. There is a new antidepressant that is great and it also helps with fibro pain -- it's called Cymbalta. I take it and so do a lot of the people here on the board.

I also take Neurotin, it really helps my fibro pain. Then, I take a muscle relaxer, Zanaflex, at nighttime to help me sleep. I also sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen due to me having obstructive sleep apnea.

I use a heating pad A LOT!! It helps my low back pain. Taking hot showers also help.

Keep reading and you'll find a lot of suggestions from others.

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm glad you found us. This board has been a Godsend for me. I know I wouldn't be doing as well mentally if it weren't for the wonderful and compassionate people here.

Would you fill out your profile? It's easy to do and it would help us if we knew more about you. Where are you from? I live in SE Michigan. I have finally found a great doctor in Ann Arbor after years of searching and enduring terrible treatment from ignorant doctors. Don't ever give up. You might want to post a message to see if someone has a good FMS doctor in your area. It was so wonderful to finally find a doctor who believes in aggressively treating my pain. I still have aching and stiffness, but thankfully the worst pain is under control and I am sleeping better.

It sounds like you are working full-time. I had to cut to part-time (mornings only) a couple of years ago. Any way you could cut down your work hours? I agree with Janet-you sound very depressed and perhaps an anti-depressant would help. I have been really helped by them. Maybe finding a counselor who is knowledgeable about chronic illness?

Sorry this is so long. Please keep in touch with us.

Ellen