New here-new to FM as well.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Emeraulde, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Emeraulde

Emeraulde New Member

I got my diagnosis Monday, and have been in a fog ever since. I'm having a hard time dealing with the idea that this pain will be here forever.

I need to know more. Is this as bad as it gets? Does it progress? What are the different treatments that work for others? I'm only 33. My kids are still in school and I work full time. I don't know how long I can keep on plugging along before I drop, you know?

I can go into more detail later, but for now, any info is appreciated.

Thanks

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Emeraulde,
    For me it has gotten worse over time. I've had full blown FMS since 1995. I wasn't working then, so I was lucky and my kids were teenagers then.

I think it is much more difficult for a person who has to work full time and has kids. I'm 56 now, so I think it is easier for an older person to deal with than a younger one.

I also have had diabetes for 29 years, so I am used to not being "well." Getting FMS was just another problem to deal with.

Some people use dietary supplements, others use a combo of meds (Rx's) and supplements and some just Rx's. I mostly use Rx's and I have found that Coenzyme Q10 has helped me to get by on less sleep and to feel better and actually to sleep better.

Welcome to the group. I know you'll meet some wonderful people here.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I understand this is overwhelming. I was also just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and got a second opinion today. I am 32 and also have children in school.

I have been reading like crazy and asking questions. It has been helpful but also stressful.

I can't tell you if this is as bad as it gets - not knowing your condition. I do believe it will get better now that we know what we are fighting.

How long have you been symptomatic? Who diagnosed you? Were you able to run any blood tests to rule out other possible conditions which might be involved? Do you have help at home?

I just had my blood drawn today so it will be few weeks before I have answers there. For now I am studying and looking for ways to make my every day life easier. Pacing myself and making diet changes.

One thing I've done is drasticly reduce the sugar from my diet and give myself breaks when I feel tired.

This board can be very helpful. keep your spirits up and know that you are not alone. I believe we can learn to manage this illness and live a better life.

Take courage,
    Sofi
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

where you and your doctors find something that works for you.You'll also learn how to pace yourself.I'm not saying that the pain will go away,but it will be reduced to a pont where you can do a little bit.

I'm on some pretty heavy medication-but it just makes me feel more normal.As far as work,you just have to work that out with your doctor.Linda