New here. Please advise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littlebren, Apr 27, 2003.

1. littlebren

littlebren New Member

I just found out that I have FM. What are the best meds to take for the pain? This is so stressful to me and it makes me feel somewhat better to know that I am not alone.
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Many of us seem to have a history of bizarre reactions to medications. I suspect that it might have something to do with the FM itself. If you go up near the top of the page you will see a window saying "Search Messages". If you were to type in "medications" or topics of that nature, you will find pages of both prescription and non prescription drugs that are used. We all seem to react so differently that no two of us use the same combination. It is a matter of trial and error to find what works for you. If your doctor is willing to work with you, ask him/her for samples until you find what works the best. Just keep in mind that some medications, such as Neurontin, must be started slowly and gradually increased to an effective dose. Good luck!!!
    Kathryn
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unfortunately there is no "one best" drug for all of us. We all react differently to different meds. I suggest you read all you can about your illness (we have an excellent library here) read this board, and ask specific questions.

Treat your worst symptom first and then move on to your next-worst symptom. Pain and lack of quality sleep are the two most common complaints, as well as feeling as though you are in a fog, called Fibro Fog.

What are your symptoms? What is your doc doing to treat them?

Love, Mikie
  4. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

As stated, everyone does react differently to medications.

I am on Flexeril (5-10 mg) on the bad nights which helps to relax your muscles. I am also taking Zoloft for my anxiety and depression which comes along with FM. I use various over the counter pain relief when I just can't take it anymore.

Otherwise, I try to limit pain relief finding more natural rememdies like hot and cold therapy. I would highly recommend investing in (or making) some herbal or rice wraps which can be heated or chilled. Alternating hot and cold helps to flush out the toxins and relieves pain.
    Also, a warm bath before bed with some light stretching may relieve symptoms.

I am glad you found this board, people here are so helpful and knowledgable. I have learned so much in just a few weeks.

I hope this helps in some way!

Blessings,
    Truth
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If I had it all to do over again (have had Fibro for 18 yrs.), I would start with only natural remedies and give them all a really good try before taking drugs.
    I am now hooked on muscle relaxers (Xanax) and no longer always take them for pain and spasms, but just because I will die from withdrawl if I don't take them. It's better to be hooked and have some quality of life, I think, but if I could go back and start over, I'd look under every rock for alternatives first. Luckily, things have come a long way since I got sick in 1986, and there is a ton of info here and elsewhere on the Internet about alternatives. A good place to start would be Magnesium supplements at bedtime. Try only one thing at a time, so you know what works and what doesn't.
    Hope to hear from you a lot now that you've found us,
    Klutzo
  6. littlebren

littlebren New Member

Dear Friends
    I feel so blessed to have found all of you. For a while I thought that I was going crazy. When I first told my Dr. that I was hurting all over I felt as though they didnt believe me and I couldn't believe this was happening to me. I have tried just about everything but I cannot find relief. The problem that I am having now is the bottom of my feet feel like they are about to fall off, the pain is so intense. My whole body is aching and burning. The medication that I am on at the present is Tramadol and Soma but it's not working. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and hopefully she will try something new. Again I say thank you for all your support and information it was very informative. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

God bless
  7. Jane57

Jane57 New Member

I have been diaganosed with Fibro for 4 years. I have tried many natural and prescription drugs to try and find relief. The main things I think are working some for me are Skelaxin for muscle pain, Ultracet for muscle pain, Sonata to help me sleep, magnesium, CoQ 10 for energy, heavy mg. of calcium for pain. My rheumatalogist is way more helpful than any other doctor that I have seen. The only thing is though he if very frustrated that there are no answers on this disease. NOT YET ANYWAY!!!!!! Maybe in the near future though!!
    To me this disease is so strange. I have so many crazy symptoms that it is unbelievable!!!!
    Good Luck in getting some help though!!!
  8. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi, I am glad you found us. It will take you awhile to research and find the right combinations of meds, herbs, supplements, and vitamins to help with this disorder. As Mikie said, work from greater to lesser, and chart your progress. You will often times have to choose another treatment, although I luckily got a few right the first time. Please be sure to check each med, supplement, and herb, for contradictions; some should not be used together.

As far as a Doctor. The specialty doesn't seem to matter as much as the thorough knowledge of these disorders, keeping up with the latest research, and a willingness to treat aggressively, also to possess the understanding that a personal treatment regime is needed, with the patience and determination to work hard until it is found. Even then what works for awhile, may require changing at a later date.

You are definitely not alone in this, and feel free to ask questions. The Library here has wonderful articles on most aspects of these disorders. You mentioned being stressed, and this is one of our greatest enemies. It is imperative that you learn how to function without stress, and make lifestyle changes to accomplish this if need be.
    Best wishes in your quest for wellness!
    LL
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

illness, my meds would never be considered together. They are clearly contraindicated with
    each other under normal circumstances, but work
    for me without any noticable side effects or
    groggy feelings. My doctor treated each symptom
    with the appopriate med for that thing..they
    just normally don't go together. Don't be afraid
    of Xanax, I don't take it any more but did for
    a few years for anxiety. It is in the same
    family as Ativan and other antianxiety drugs.
    Combined with other pain medications it does
    seem to help some. I weaned off them 1/2 a pill
    a week and had no problems when I changed to
    other meds. I never did take more than 4 a day
    though. Whatever you get, take it on time as
    prescribed to keep your pain level as even as
    possible. The waiting until you are in pain to
    medicate the pain is hard on you and your body.
    It's worse to have spikes up and down in pain
    than to have a steady level of relief. That's
    just my 2 cents worth. Good luck! Hugs, Bambi