New here. Question about when to apply for disability.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starmom, Nov 5, 2005.

1. starmom

starmom New Member

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to this forum, but have had fibro since I was 13 or 14. Was diagnosed at 22 when I told the doc that I thought I had fibro. Previous diagnoses had been disproven.

I am one of the wierdos who reacts VERY strangely to meds, so it is a constant juggle. Pain meds make me stay awake, so sleep is even harder than usual sometimes. And I am allergic to the OTC stuff.

I am wondering how I know when/if to file for disability/SSI. The fibro is getting worse. I also had a disc fixed in my neck years ago and have trouble with it. I am home with my kids b/c I can't seem to be able to go to a job regularly. Lately I even do very little with my house.

I have a hard time cleaning, cooking, stitching, doing my hobbies, anything. I don't have a pain doc b/c all the ones in my state tell me I am not in enough pain to see them. ARRGGHH.

I am usually fairly calm, as much as can be with a 13yo with severe problems and 2 other kids with problems stemming from his behavior.

How do I decide to file for disability or not? Is it worth the hassle? My hubby makes a living, but it is very tight. Woudl be much better if I could work.

Susie
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

SS.Gov it will explain everything. You must have been off work or intended not to work for at least a full yr.

You will also need your doctors backing on this .Sometimes it can be a long hard road.Took me 2 yrs. And others get approved first shot.You have nothing to loose if you have all your ducks in a row.

If you do file don't give up.You also need enough work credits.

Good Luck
    Sue
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I filed for disability when it became almost impossible for me to work due to CFIDS. Working had become a nightmare for me due to lack of energy, lack of sleep, constant sore throats, etc.

Only you can decide if you just can't work any more, although it sounds like from your post that you may have reached that point. I think I pushed myself too hard for too long, working past when I should have stopped, and may have done more damage to my body.

Also, ask your doctor about it. I believe you will need a doctor supporting you in a claim for disability. He has to write a report, have records, etc.

If you do decide that working's too difficult, then I would say it's definitely worth the hassle to file for disability. It's money coming in, versus no money coming in. Disability is my main source of income now. If I didn't have it, I don't know what I would do.

You have to do some research on SSDI and SSI. SSDI disability is based on work earnings. SSI isn't. So you need to find out if you have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI. Check out the SS website as someone else suggested. I don't know what the requirements are for SSI, you'd have to look it up.

Mary
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Susie,
    One thing the SSI people won't tell you, is to apply as soon as you can.

I was on disability from a pivate insurance I had bought, so I didn't apply for SSI for 2 years, not wanting to be double dipping, or greedy. Well I should have been, because when I applied, (and I was denied the first tim-I then was approved very fast the second time I applied), but I got no money. They told me that I had waited too long and had gone past the time allotted. I did get early medicare (2 months), but that is all.
    So, please do it as soon as you can!

Good luck,
    Terry