New Here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CherLyn817, Aug 2, 2005.

1. CherLyn817

CherLyn817 New Member

Hi y'all!

I'm new to this board and thought I'd send a post to say hi. My name is Cher, I'm 26 and currently living in S. Cali with my boyfriend, Russ, who is in the US Navy. After many years of pain I was told in April of 2001 that I had FMS. I've always had lots of pain, but lately it's been getting a lot worse and I'm sick of taking pain meds, so I've spent a lot of time researching alternative medicine.

Although I am in a lot of pain most of the time, I still find time to keep up a very busy lifestyle. I'm a full-time medical assistant for a respiratory therapy company, full-time student (studies in Humanities), part-time writer for a military magazine and a volunteer for the American Red Cross.

Anywho, that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to meeting and talking to all of you :)

~Cher
    PS. All of this is in my profile, so sorry for the repeat info ;-)
  2. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the board cher
    brit
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Welcome to the board. It is the best place for latest information, treatments and studies. You won't find a more loving, supportive group of people. I'm glad you've joined us.

There are alot of people who can help you with alternative treatments. I use a combo. of supplements and traditional meds.. I think I'm on the up-swing side of this illness. Yeah!! Anything you want to know there is bound to be a member here who can help you.

Welcome....talk to ya soon....

Elsa
  4. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

This site is the greatest. So much support and good feelings happen here. Welcome. Maybe we'll chat someday.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What an interesting young lady you are, and so very busy too.

So sorry you have this illness, it always makes me sad when someone as young as you comes on this board with FM or CFS!

I do want to thank you for your work with the military, and the American Red Cross, that is so wonderful of you.

Also your Navy boyfriend, thank him for me for being in the service, I am so proud of the American Military! All of you are doing a great service for this country.

Hope we can help you with your illness, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. We do have some very informed people here, and lots of us with so much experience with this illness.

Again, welcome to the board, and I do hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

6. CherLyn817

CherLyn817 New Member

... What a nice welcome! Thank you for all the hellos :) All my friends that are my age haven't really an understanding of what I go through (bless them for trying), so it's wonderful to have finally found a place to talk to others that know exactly what I'm going through.

Blindsky ~ Energy is hard to come by for me, but I started eating more "living foods" (75% raw foodist) and it's given me so much more energy.

Elsa ~ I look forward to hearing about your alternative treatments. If you don't mind me asking, what supplements and traditional meds are you taking?

Shirl ~ It's hard being young and feeling like I'm 80 years old sometimes, but I grew up a very strong willed person and I know that I can beat the Fibro. I will most definitely tell my boyfriend of your thank you's to him. I am so proud of him as well as all of our servicemen/women. I grew up in the military, so I know the life and I love living every moment of it.

Again, thank you all for your sweet welcomes. I look forward to talking to you all :-D

~Cher
  7. marzrox

marzrox New Member

I am new here to. Nice bunch of friendly people here, and it is nice to be amongst people who understand just how you feel.

Jules
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just wanted to say welcome to a great board with lots of caring, understanding and supportive people!!

Welcome aboard
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

Hey Cher,

I don't mind one bit. I love to share what I've been taking. That's pretty much how I learned....from people here who are very willing to help out.

I wanted to post this, so you would know I read your message. I'm hearing a NAP call me big time, so I'll go into detail about my meds./supplements a little later.

I too wanted to add my thanks for your's and you boyfriend's service. Military individuals do something hugh that I am not brave enough or willing to do .....protect this great country of ours. Thank you most sinceredly.

I have more then my fair share of navy sailors and
    fly boys in my family tree. I'll never forget the first time I attended an Anapolis graduation. I was maybe all of six years old and will never forget the sight of all those blinding white hats sailing through the air!! Too Cool!!

'Course to ask my Dad..."GO Army!" ...those navy men/women don't know it all! LOL Makes for a very interesting Thanksgiving dinner.

Well, just wanted to touch base with you, and let you know I'll get on that med/supplement list.

Take care,

Elsa
  10. CherLyn817

CherLyn817 New Member

Doxy and BlueRose,

Thank you for your welcomes as well. I've been reading a little bit back on the boards and I'm finding that y'all are wonderful and so helpful too!

Thank you again for the welcomes,
    ~Cher
  11. CherLyn817

CherLyn817 New Member

Take your time Elsa. Nap was calling out to me big time today and as much as I wanted to listen to the calling, I had too much to do before bed time, so I totally understand.

So you are a fellow Military Brat? Very cool! I love meeting up and talking to others that know the military lifestyle. I remember the first grad. I attended. It was much like what you described and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. After seeing that I told my Pop (Grandpa) that I wanted to join the Navy and be a Navy Doc just like him. Needless to say, I've been the apple of his eye since I've said that (even though I was unable to join the military). If you can imagine his joy when he found out that Russ was in the Navy. They always have so much to talk about when they see each other.

I'm sure our Thanksgivings are a lot like yours. We have a few Army and a few Marines in the mix of our typical Navy/Air Force family. My favorite part of the dinner is when the conversation comes to which branch of the military is better then the other ... LOL.

I talked to Russ today and sent him all of your thank you's. He was feeling a bit down today (Washington does it to him everytime) and hearing those thank you's gave him a good boost, so thank you to all of you :D Russ is also very excited that I've found this website. Like me, he thinks that it's going to do me a world of good and y'all are going to help me out a lot when it comes time for him to leave for his deployments (as well as all the days in between deployments). I'm going to have to agree with him.

Okay, well now I can see that I'm rambling on. These meds that the doctor has me on to sleep at night make me all fuzzy, but never put me to sleep :-/

Anywho, I'll talk to you again soon. Thank you for the heads up Elsa :D

~Cher
  12. elsa

elsa New Member

I read your other post about over doing it. You poor thing....Don't we all understand about that!! A good soak in a hot bath with muscle relaxers might help in the future.

I'm not a military brat per say....Dad had finished his tours, obligations when I was very young. His stint is not something he's allowed to talk about soooo, most my experiences come from uncles, grandparents, cousins, brothers-in-law, and one aunt on both sides of my family AND my husband's. So there you have it....Took me forever to learn which branch spelled their HOO RAH which way!!!
    ( I have promptly forgotten, which I'm sure will be just as promptly rectified!!!)

I'm listing what medications and what supplements I take to try and beat back this illness. If you have any questions about any one of them in particular, just ask or you can put my name in the search bar and all kinds of up-dates will come up.

This illness attacks so many different systems that I broke it all down into 4 categories. It didn't seem so hugh to me that way. I set a goal first....what do I want to "get Back" or to be able to do with my life now that I have CFS/FM. After I had my answers I looked for treatments, medications and supplements that would help me reach my goals. The categories are 1. sleep , 2. hormone balance , 3. immune system, and 4. muscle/soft tissue health.

I take several medications to combat the symptoms while the other treatments, hopefully , boost up the underlining system weaknesses. These meds. are: 1. for pain-
    tramadol and advil (2 and 4 respectively) every six hours. I have 5mg. flexeril for muscle spasm problems, but I rarely take it. I take achiphex 1xd to protect my stomach from advil. 2. Provigil for excessive daytime sleepiness. Dose dpends on my day, 100mg to 300mg or none. 3. singulair for chemical allergies, flonase ( same reason ) and guaifenesin/dm 1200mg/60mg 2xd for any fluid that builds up in inner ears, sinuses. ( I also have an inner ear balance problem...this is a God send.)

To fix my sleep....2mg lunesta, 1 ZMA thirty minutes prior to lunesta. It's helping greatly. You can look up many of my posts on sleep or lunesta for more information.

Hormone Balance: All bio-identical. Natural progesterone cream , DHEA with pregnenolone cream. These can be looked up too, either under my name or each word itself. Starting next week....Supplement that increases T4 to T3 ( thyroid ) conversion. I am inches away from being tested and treated for HGH deficiency. Be sure you have a salivia test done if you haven't started these hormones yet.

Immune System: I tried valtrex and then farmvir (sp) when I was first diagnosed. They did not help me, but these anti-virals have helped others. For me....colostrum, starting next week....whey concentrate protein and then finally Transfer Factor geared specifically towards EBV.

Muscles: The whey protein shake will help here too. Acetyl-L-Carnitine 2 grams per day, citrulline malate 2xd. ( this is newly added for lactic acid and ammonia build up in muscles....jury is still out on it.)

Brain Fog : It is sooo appropriate that I FORGOT to list my brain food supplements...LOL Anyway, believe it or not, I have improved... 1. Mucana Pruriens ( 40% l-dopa)
    2. L-tyrosine and DMAE....both of these are in one supplement called Power Drive. You can search my post on this for more info., 3. Alpha GPC (promotes chloine)All of these influence the neurotransmitter dopamine...the "feel good" brain chemical.

General Supplements: Organic Multi vit., organic b-complex, sublingual b-12, alpha lipoic acid , vit. c and e,
    lecithin and flax seed oil.

WOW......There you have it. Most of my information came straight from this site. Either people gave input directly, or they would point me in the right direction for more answers. I am feeling better....might be heading towards remission....but I'm not at my goal yet. I will get there......!!!

Oops, forgot about axert for migraines. I never had migraines before in my life before FM/CFS !! I have only taken this once...it worked, but I hope this won't be a regular thing. I Take enough b-6 to keep fluid down and so far, my headaches have been kept at bay. Got my fingers crossed on that one.

I have two excellent books: "The Pill Guide to Natural Medicine" and "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. This is full of beginner to more advanced yoga stretching for everything....hocky to stretches prior to house work. I also had good results with massage and acupuncture. For me though, in order for these treatments to work, I had to do them several times ( at least twice) a week. That was too much time out of my life devoted to CFS/FM, so I dropped them.

There are alot of popular medical rx's that I don't take....either because they suppress REM sleep or because they have drowsy/goofy as side effect. I show horses and can't afford to not be on top of my game in the conscious department!! LOL

I am sorry this was sooo long winded!! I hope it's helpful to you too!........

Talk to you soon,

Elsa

P.S. Of course we'll be here when Russ is deployed. That is one of the many, many wonderful things about this group. We support each other no matter what!!!

13. nina2

nina2 New Member

Your busy lifestyle amazes me. I give you a lot of credit for keeping up the pace of your busy lifestyle while suffering with fms.

Welcome to the board, it's a great one and you won't be disappointed.
    nina
  14. elsa

elsa New Member

Bump for Cher.....

Elsa
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Glad to have you here!

I also want to thank your husband and you for your hard work for our great country! My late father was a Navy man!

I've had fibro and lupus for 44 years - since I was 10 yrs old, but the docs just did not know what it was then!

I used to be a very active "SuperMom"! I am 54 and retired after working for 30 years for a large corporation, have been married for nearly 35 years, have 3 adult children, and 2 grandsons.

You say your sleep med makes you fuzzy .... have you tried Zanaflex? I have tried many, but it works the best for me.

Also, Cymbalta and Neurotin are the other fibro meds that work best for me -- these 2 really help on the fibro pain!

Hope to hear a lot from you!!

(((Hugs)))
    Janet