New here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Angel6801, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this msg board. I just dx with FM today. I'm research and is still new at this. I'm 22, and is mother of three years old. I'm doing the part time job, and is full time student. I have been suffering those symptoms and the doctors was running out of ideas. They assumed its FM for sure. Now the dr wanted me to go on Evail (not sure spell). I didn't start it yet, since I found out its part of anti depressant medications. I was on few things as teen and had bad experience with medications so i made myself promise that I would not even touch the anti depressant medication at all... But I was taught that anti depressant medication is the best treatment for FM. I just want to try the other options since my is milder before taking anti depressant medication. Have you have try any differents treatments??? Is there anything that would be better than just using anti depressant medciaton?? Let me know and i appericate it very much.

Angel
  2. ronter7

ronter7 New Member

just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the board! you will find so much wonderful info here, and many great people. i do take the elavil and find it does help, but i don't have problems with medications so you are smart to hold up if you think there is reason to. you will find much help here. take care of yourself.
    ronda
  3. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Thanks! Its nice to know I'm welcome to here. I haven't taking evail yet, so i'm not sure if I'm def going to try it. But I might will, but other hand maybe not. :) Thanks for welcome me. I def will looking through and see what people has been writing down and how the treatments helps them.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Welcome to our board/support group. Glad you found us!!

Wow, you are leading a very busy life! Being a mother of a toddler, working part time, and a full time student is more than a full time life!! LOL

It just doesn't seem fair to throw fibro in that mix, does it? You just don't have time to be sick!!

I remember when my 3 children were young and I was working full time, it was sooooo hard when I was sick all of the time. I look back know and don't know how I did it, but I guess I did--one day at a time!

I'm 54 now and retired after working 30 years with the same corporation. My children are all adults now and out of the house, so my stress has just changed to a different type of stress!

I don't know what happened to make you not want to take anti-depressants again, but that is what they treat fibro with most often. Docs usually start people out on Elavil because it has been proven to help fibro.

However, I was sensitive to Elavil. He started me out on a baby dose -- 10 mg. -- at night. After taking it the first night, I couldn't wake up the next morning at 4:30 a.m. to get ready for work. I didn't wake up until noon (my husband called me off) and had a hard time staying awake the rest of the day. I ended up cutting that one 10 mg. tablet into fourths and taking only that. I still remained sleepy the next day, so the doc started trying me on other ones.

I could never find one that would let me wake up without that hangover effect, so the doc had me try Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer. That worked!! I have it in 2 mg tablets, and I can take anywhere up to 5 tablets a night, it's according how I feel and how I slept the night before. I normally take 3 tablets a night. I can sleep 8 -10 hours and wake up without that hangover effect!! (I sleep more now that I am retired and don't have to get up for the kids either! If I needed to get up earlier, I would just take 2 tablets)

I have found a GREAT new antidepressant that has also been proven to help fibro pain -- it's called Cymbalta. If you are sensitive to A-D's you might want to stay at the 30 mg level the doc would start you out on. I started on 30 mg and after a few weeks, went to 60 mg. It has really helped my pain level.

The only other med that I take for the fibro is Neurotin. It's a med for nerve pain and has also helped me.

As far as other treatments .... exercise is supposed to help--I can't because of a bad back, bad heart, etc., except that I can do mild exercises in warm water--like the water aerobic classes.

I use a heating pad A LOT!! Really hot showers help me get going in the mornings.

Let's hope a few more will come along and give you some tips.

Take care,
    Janet
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Welcome to the board. You'll find tons of information and support here.

It's true that many doctors turn to AD's as first line treatment for FM/CFS. The theory is that on lower levels then what is needed to treat depression will help fibro patients with improved sleep and pain.

It was not the choice for me for many reasons. An alternative would be 5-htp, an amino acid that works similarly to ssri's.

There are many people here who have found help with AD's, so maybe they can add a positive view point for you.

Elavil is one of the oldest AD's. There are many, many other choices out there in AD department to try. One of elavil's nasty little side effects is possible weight gain. Some have not been effected as others have packed it on for no apparent reason.

Using AD's for treatment of FM/CFS is a hot issue for me. But like I mentioned, there are many here who get relief from their symptoms with them.

My best advice would be to research, research, research !! Find your comfort level for medications. Found out what is out there ... what treatments are routinely rx'ed for these illnesses and what you are comfortable in taking.

Good luck and welcome,....

Elsa
  6. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Thanks again for making me welcome! :) OH yes, it has been really hard to handle things and handle toddler is such handful. She is strong willing child which is not making my life easier. Guess its paytime back for what I did to my mohther! Ha ha.

Well I suffered depression and anxiety when i was teen, then the dr was prescribled me with antidepressant medications when I was 18. I was mess. I was on ZOloft, Effexnor, Remeron, and for sleeping aid, trandzone and ambein. Ambein works like wonder but i suffered hallauction from it. And as far for anti depressant medications, i felt I went crazier than I used to. That when I started to think suicded and things like that. SO i has hospialized for this... TheN i learned I was pregnant, which lead me to stop anti depressant in cold turkey. YIKES, the withdrawal was crazy! It was nightmares I was in so much pains with headaches and i had to locked myself in the dorm room (happened in college). The crazy dr told me that its all in my head. And that she refused to give me the cutting down doses so i can gradaully quitting taking anti depressants. SO i had no choice but quitted in cold turkey.

ANyway, sorry for so long but I just want to give you ideas why i was more unsure about it.. At other hand I learned that elavil is part of tricycle anti depressant, and the drugs i was on was part of ssri. Maybe they will be differet. But I will let you konw if I ever start it! :)

7. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Thanks again for making me welcome! :) OH yes, it has been really hard to handle things and handle toddler is such handful. She is strong willing child which is not making my life easier. Guess its paytime back for what I did to my mohther! Ha ha.

Well I suffered depression and anxiety when i was teen, then the dr was prescribled me with antidepressant medications when I was 18. I was mess. I was on ZOloft, Effexnor, Remeron, and for sleeping aid, trandzone and ambein. Ambein works like wonder but i suffered hallauction from it. And as far for anti depressant medications, i felt I went crazier than I used to. That when I started to think suicded and things like that. SO i has hospialized for this... TheN i learned I was pregnant, which lead me to stop anti depressant in cold turkey. YIKES, the withdrawal was crazy! It was nightmares I was in so much pains with headaches and i had to locked myself in the dorm room (happened in college). The crazy dr told me that its all in my head. And that she refused to give me the cutting down doses so i can gradaully quitting taking anti depressants. SO i had no choice but quitted in cold turkey.

ANyway, sorry for so long but I just want to give you ideas why i was more unsure about it.. At other hand I learned that elavil is part of tricycle anti depressant, and the drugs i was on was part of ssri. Maybe they will be differet. But I will let you konw if I ever start it! :)