New Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DarkMuse, Jul 5, 2006.

1. DarkMuse

DarkMuse New Member

I am not diagnosed with Fibro, but I'm concerned I may have it. My roommate has Fibromyalgia, and she is concerned because I have had many of the same symptons she has. Some of the symptoms that I have are:

-migraines AND tension headaches
    -pain in my body (particularly back, legs, arms)
    -tender points (found by accident)
    -tingling in my feet and toes
    -very poor short term memory
    -constant fatigue
    -needing at least 9 1/2 hours of sleep a night to function
    -waking up at night
    -anxiety and depression
    -leg cramps at night
    -jaw stiffness and soreness
    -ringing in my ears
    -dizziness and nausea for no reason
    -anemia
    -heavy and super long periods
    -mood swings (severe)
    -tingling and numbness in my right hand
    -mitral valve prolapse
    -gastro-intestinal disorder that for some reason can't be found on any tests (and medications don't work for)

I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering.

My family doesn't believe that FMS exists. They think it's an excuse for laziness. Ironically, my mom suffers from post-polio syndrome (another disease that is "iffy" like FMS). I'm scared to even mention this to them. I've never even mentioned any of the symptoms, other than the gastro-intestinal, the MVP, depression, and the periods. Any kind of pain I complain about, my mom always says "well--you should feel the pain *I* am in!" So I just don't mention it.

At this point, I'm scared to go to the doctor and say "Can you test me for fibromyalgia?" Or should I just go in and say "I'm sore, tired, and feel sick all the time"?

I don't know what to do.

Any advice?
  2. fibrodeb

fibrodeb New Member

If you have a gp you trust - just go and tell him what's up - if not, try a pain clinic or a rheumy etc - remember to do your research and make sure you know what you are talking about tho...Good Luck and keep us posted!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Lots of info here. Nice people.

You might want to fill out your profile. That way people can get to know you and offer more applicable comments. For example, are you an adult who has the ability to control your own medical care?

I have CFS. Will let the people w/ FM discuss you many symptoms.

Good luck.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Welcome to the board. Your symptoms could be Fibro but they could be something else too. I hope you can find a doctor who will listen to you and do the appropriate testing. Something is going on and you need to know what it is.
    Fibro is a real disease so don't be embarrased about mentioning it to anyone.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I would try and get to a really good doctor. Does yur roommate have one? It also dawns on me as you both have same symptoms, could it be from mould in the house for him/her and not Fm? One never knows. I always worry about toxins when more than one person gets identical symptoms in same place.

Love Anne Cromwell
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

This is a wonderful support board. Welcome!!!

Kriket