New Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jusmore, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jusmore

jusmore New Member

Hi...hoping you can give me some direction.

I've "diagnosed myself" with fibro but have yet to see a doctor about it. I have always had chronic migraines, so when I started getting them more often, I just shrugged it off. I've also always had IBS, and that has gotten worse lately, too.

Then in 2004, I tore the tendon in my left knee. The first ortho told me that it was all due to weight and I needed to lose weight. (Which I DO, but that certainly isn't my only problem.) About 11 months ago, my RIGHT knee started hurting, and the muscles in my legs started aching, too...enough that it was waking me up at night.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm 43, I work full-time at a very stressful job and have a 2.5 year old son, and he doesn't like to sleep, either, so I put a lot of my "symptoms" off as coming from lack of sleep.

For at least the last nine months, I've had almost-constant muscle and joint pain, severe exhaustion, constant headaches, frequent IBS, achy back and hips...you name it, it hurts. All of this pain leads me to being depressed and upset. Plus, I'm having trouble remembering things, which is NOT like me at all. In a conversation yesterday, I could NOT remember what a phone booth was called! This frustrates me, as I've always been fairly intelligent and well-spoken. In researching, I really do think I have fibro.

My husband thinks I'm a hypochondriac, and I haven't even approached my doctor yet. He already gives me a hard time about meds for chronic migraines, and I'm afraid he's going to think I'm just after more meds.

I just want to be able to rest, and not be in constant pain, and to be able to play with my son without wincing in pain when he climbs up on me.

Where would you start first? Can you give me any suggestions? I live in DE and have not heard of any "fibro-friendly" doctors here, either. I just feel like I'm up against a brick wall, and that upsets me even more.

Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
  2. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

3. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Jusmore,
    Hi, I just wanted to welcome you... I don't really have much advise...Is it your hubby that gives you the bad time about the meds? Or your doctor?? If it is your doctor maybe you need to see someone new?

It sure sounds like FM to me....you need to address the sleep issues and get some sleep...lack of sleep makes you hurt even more..

Did you check the good doctor list on this site??
    I hope that you find an understanding doctor to help you feel better soon..
    Let us know how you are doing.
    Cindy
  4. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

You should see a rheumatologist. Personally, I've found they are the most equiped to help you. If you have an HMO, they shouldn't give you too bad a time to see the rheumy.

If the rheumy agrees that you have fibro, I would schedule another appointment and bring your husband so he can ask questions and hear it from the dr. I think husbands do believe drs better.

Good Luck to you, I can't imagine being so sick with such a young child. I hope you can at a minimum get sleep. Sleep is what we all need for our bodies to heal and regenerate.

hugs to you
  5. janieb

janieb New Member

AFter getting names from friends and relatives, my regular doctor referred me to a rheumy. Think you need to know if there is a doctor in your clinic who has a particular interest in Fibro. Also, part of my problem is that I'm hyper-flexible. There are others on this board who have both problems, too.

Good luck.
  6. jusmore

jusmore New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm going to try and get in to see my PCP this week - he will have to provide referrals to other doctors or my insurance will not cover it.
    My PCP doesn't like giving pain meds, but he gives them to me, for my chronic headaches. He used to give them to me for my knee pain but I had to go get the prescription every month and it just took too much time and travel out of my work day, so I used the meds he gave me for headaches for my knee, too. (Darvocet and/or Ultram.)
    My husband thinks I'm a hypochondriac and that I will "take a pill for anything." He just doesn't get it.
    Maybe the doctor will be more understanding!