New Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmcdelaney, Nov 6, 2006.

1. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Hi All,

Thought I would introduce myself since I'm trying to be quiet while my family (hubby of 17 years, and 2 boys 16 and 12) is doing that thing I'm so foreign to...SLEEP!

I found this site last night and read quite a bit. Then I was up before the roosters (litterally...my neighbors have roosters that wake me if I can actually sleep past 3am) and have been reading some of your posts. You guys are great...have to keep a sense of humor with this thing or you'll go crazy.

Real quick...I've been feeling the effects of what my doctors believe to be FM for about a year and a half. It came on suddenly. Have been through LOTS of tests before my doctors wanted to "lump me" (his words) into the FM catagory. Hee Hee...lump me...I am quite lumpy, especially in the shoulder area!!!

The history is long and boring, so I'll just say my worst symptom is the muscle knots (my friends actually make fun of me because I am constantly digging at my shoulder muscles)...then the inability to stay asleep. I have quite the myriad (spelling???) of symptoms, WAY too many to bore you with...including that wonderful thick PHLEGM that a quick gentle unexpected cough send flying across the room! I should buy stock in Kleenex!

What makes me second guess my diagnosis my LACK of fatigue. My mood says I need sleep (quite snippy lately), but I am almost NEVER tired. I take a muscle relaxer to help me get to sleep which I can do pretty easily if I meditate, but then I wake up around 2 or 3 am, toss and turn trying to find a cool comfortable spot in the bed, and I give up around 4am and get up. Not tired ALL day! I do have rare occassions when I feel like I could sleep all day...and do, but very rarely.

Any thoughts on this?

Can't wait to get to know you all better,
    Joann
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good morning, Joann ~ I saw your post and thought, Not only is she new, she can't sleep! lol

I want to welcome you to this great board. You'll fit in perfectly here. I have CFS and only a bit of FM so, when they wake up, other FMers will come along and be able to suggest to you more than I can. I do relate to the phlegm issue - koff, harrruuuumph! koff!! and am doing the typical throat clearing as we speak. I assume it's from allergies; have you been tested for them? I find nasal irrigation to be very helpful albeit messy.

As for not feeling the need for sleep, I cannot imagine it as I often fight to stay awake and reasonably (relative word these days) alert. I think we need more info. What meds do you take, if any? These can contribute to not sleeping. And what does your doctor say about this 24-alert you're on?

When you have a minute could you fill out your profile? It helps us be more comfortable with who we're "talking" to and often gives us information which can be helpful in making suggestions. Like now I'm suspecting that you live in a part of the country with seasonal weather changes but I don't know for sure.

I hope you're sleeping now!

Marta

3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Have thought of many things to do to the rooster...but I don't want to go to jail!!! One morning I actually screemed at it to "SHUT UP"!!!!

One night I heard the cyote "screaching" and I sat silent hoping they would get the rooster...THEY DID!!! One problem...there are MORE roosters!!!

What a great intro to the group...well, at least you'll all know how "wacked" I am! I blame it on lack of sleep!
  4. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Hi Marta,

Just finished filling out the profile.

I am on Tiazanidine (4mg) to relax muscles and fall asleep. I just started on Cymbalta (finally requested an antidepressant because I was starting to cry easily from being "sick" of this constant discomfort). After reading about the tough "withdrawal" cymbalta that many have experienced I was reluctant to take it, but my doctor seemed pretty hopeful that it would do more for me than just stop my crying. Just a side note, I am one that usually researches everything to death before taking a medicine, but I have to admit I am SO sick of research right now that I just took it. I had read that it takes 3 days to several weeks to effect you, but within ONE HOUR ALL my muscle discomfort went away and the relentless knots would MELT under my fingers. I have been on this for about 2 weeks now, and am pain free about 75% of the day. Just a note, the sleep issues existed prior to both meds. Occassionally take my rx of 600 mg of ibuprophen.

I have done months of PT (for hypermobile joints...you should see my back...I look like one of those female wrestlers!!!) with little relief, I go once a week for a combo massage (they use reflexology, endpoint therapy, deep tissue and a few others). This helps a bit, but doesn't last.

Dr. is aware of sleep issues. Perhaps I need to push harder for something to keep me asleep?

Joann
  5. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I just re-read your post...Yep, I live in New England. I have to say...I did sleep a couple more hours each night during the summer months. Winter, spring and fall seem to be when I am less able to sleep.

Also, I am fairly certain that weather changes make the muscle discomfort worse...I can predict rain the day or so before it comes! One pro to FM...I'm a weather psychic!

Joann
  6. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Welcome to the board!

I don't have advice (CFS sufferer) but the phlegm thing made me laugh out loud!

I've done the same thing, it's embarassing even when you're alone. I will say that I started on transfer factors about a month ago and the gunk seems to have cleared up a lot. May not be a connection.

Shar

7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

something you might want to check out on the board is chronic myofascial pain threads.i have cmp and fibro the knots in your shoulders though could be caused by this check it out good luck charlene
  8. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Thanks...

If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think it's CMP. My knots when pushed on do not "refer" pain. Most of my knots do not hurt at all when pushed on, rather they SCREAM "PUSH HARDER...PLEASE!!!" Occassionally the massage therapist will run into one that hurts or refers pain, but for the most part the muscles just want to be dug at. This has been the hardest thing to describe to my doctors. The muscles aren't exactly painful, but they are so uncomfortable that I want to crawl out of my skin. Kind of like when you're watching TV late at night and trying desperately to stay awake (I vaguely remember trying to stay awake) to see the end of a movie and your legs start feeling really wierd (perhaps restless)...well magnify that sensation by 1000 and that's what my shoulders and upper back feel like. Sometimes they actually ache, but even then digging at them is what I need.

Am I understanding the difference correctly?
    Thanks again, joann
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Joann, thanks for filling out your profile! Yep, see? You live in a state with climate changes like I do here in Michigan. I can tell you when the weather is going to get colder. I'd give nasal irrigation a try before anything else. Just don't invite an audience.

Have you tried melatonin for sleep? Check to be sure you can take it with your med regimen if you decide to try...

And you're still up!! With kids I bet you don't get to go back to bed much either. I'll tell you what my CFS doc told me: if you can't sleep, you can't heal. How's that make you feel? lol

Now go take a nap.

Marta
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

As you see, we have lots of nice people here who can share their experiences, info, jokes, recipes, etc.

Welcome to the board.
  11. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Welcome to the board!

Kat