New Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by navywife30, Jul 28, 2008.

1. navywife30

navywife30 New Member

Hi all!

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I've had fibro for about 5 years now. I take tramadol but it just masks the pain for a little bit. I also have CFS and I hate being tired all the time.

Does anyone know of any natural ways to deal with this? I'm so tired of being in a fog all the time because of the medicine. I just wish there was a way to control the pain without it.

Also, my doctor says that while I still take the tramadol that it wouldn't be a good idea to get pregnant. We already have 1 daughter but I've always wanted to have another child. He says the medicine can cause deformities or other problems with the child.

Unfortunately the pain is so bad all the time I can't function without it. I've cut the dosage down to 2 pills 2 x a day from 3 pills 3x a day but whenever I try to go without it the pain gets so unbearable I just sit and cry all the time.

Sorry for such a long message I guess I'm finally happy just to find a place with other people that are dealing with this. I feel all alone in this. We are stationed in Japan and my husband just doesn't get it most of the time. He thinks I'm just being lazy and that it's "mind over matter" and that I'm a whimp.
  2. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Welcome to this WONDERFUL place. You have found one of the MOST understanding and awesome places. Everyone here knows how you feel and most important, you are not alone and you are NOT being a wimp. I have been coming here for several months now and it has been so helpful. I think that the natural approach is one that works by trial and error, but you can ask others about that. I am past the babies stage, so what I am taking right now works most of the time and I am afraid to rock the boat. There are lots of different topics on this message board, so keep browsing and you will probably find exactly the topic you are looking for. You will also probably get lots of responses from this post.
    Most important.... it is NOT mind over matter and you can't just "think" it away. Do not give up and keep coming back to this message board. The support and understanding here is AWESOME.
    Sending cyber hugs from Oklahoma!
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

A warm welcome from Texas to you.

You have found a wonderful place.

My husband thought that way at first too and he kept thinking that in a few days or a week that I was going to get better. I finally was able to get him involved in the research with me and then it made him more aware of what was going on. Does he totally get it~ probably not. And I still have to remind him that I need help.

You are not being lazy .

I understand how you feel, I used to be very active and love being involved in my kids lives and now I don't know from day to day how I'm going to feel. I'm still learning to pace myself.

I also take Tramadol for my pain and I'm also on elavil .

Gentle hugs, Susan

4. navywife30

navywife30 New Member

Thanks you guys!! I feel so much better finding this place. I have a message board that I go to for my daughter's ADHD that helps me so much. It helps not feeling so lonely.

Some days I just want to cry for no reason. I feel awefull because I'm not working. My last job, back in the states, paid really well and they were fantastic about my fibro. I miss that job. I know I will never find another one like it either. They were like my family and everyone was so supportive. They even did research on fibro so that they understood it better to help me on bad days. I miss that support system.

I have a couple of friends here that seem to get it and are really supportive but I know they don't truly understand. No one can really get it unless they live it.

So, anyway. Thank you for your support and I look forward getting to know all of you.
  5. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

dear Navywife,

Welcome! You have found a wonderful place for information and support. You are not lazy or a wimp - you are suffering from a painful disease. the mother of a singleton, there is nothing wrong with having one child. God decided that's what his plan was for me and I couldn't be happier. My son is great and my husband and I are very happy.

Hope to see more of you here.

6. navywife30

navywife30 New Member

Yeah the medical care is pretty bad. They want to give you motrin for EVERYTHING!! It's like their cure all. I'm pretty lucky though, the dr they assigned me knows a lot about fibro and keeps up with all the latest research and such. He's wanting to get me off the tramadol but we have to find something else that can help control the pain. There just isn't a lot out there for this stuff. I'm going to ask about Lyrica tomorrow.

I'm truly blessed to have my beautiful little girl. I wasn't supposed to be able to have kids at all (I had ovarian cysts). Our daughter is 9 now and begs constantly for a baby brother or sister. My husband and I are both only children (he has 4 step sibs) so we never thought about having more than one until the last couple of years. So far we've been trying for 2 years with no luck. I've basically given up any hope for having another child. I'm more than happy with the great one I have. She's really smart and sweet. Plus I don' know if I could handle a second child with ADHD!!
  7. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Lyrica helps me, but you have to get the dosage just right. It might take a bit, so don't give up on it. See if your doc might prescribe some muscle relaxers for you. The FM isn't in the muscles, but I start cramping in the arms and back and legs just from the pain sometimes. It is just a game of finding the right combinations.
    Stay strong and definitely show this message board to hubby. Maybe it will help him to understand more and realize what this DD really is.
    Katie in HOT Oklahoma
  8. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

My oldest daughter was 3 days old and in an incubator when the doctor said she was hyperactive. He wasn't kidding either!
    I found out about the Feingold diet after a couple of years and used a modified version for her and the then the other 4 children. I never had to put her on any medication.
    It made a HUGE difference in my daughter. The nice side benefit was that the children had almost no dental problems on this diet. They seldom even got colds. For all those years of living in New England not one single case of pneumonia!
    If you haven't looked into that you might want to take a few minutes and do some research. Some people swear by it and others swear at it. LOL
    In this day and age of so much being added to the food we eat I wouldn't rule out a food alergy.
    Good Luck!!