new here

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by meganMO, Aug 27, 2010.

1. meganMO

meganMO New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Megan. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. My depression diagnosis was 14 years ago, and I was diagnosed with anxiety about six years ago. I'm almost 25 now, and I'm in need of a lot of help. I am a full-time waitress, I have three amazing dogs (that literally have saved my life - I depend on them, they depend on me), I have a very loving boyfriend, I just started school again in an EMT program, etc. I should be happy.

I was the victim of medical malpractice when I was 9. My best friend died when I was 16. My mother died when I was 18. My father has been given two weeks to live. I don't talk to my sisters or grandparents or other extended family, due to the fact that I owe my grandparents money and cannot afford to pay them back until I get my other finances in order. My credit score might as well be in the negatives. I can barely pay my bills - they are almost all behind/late every month. I have about $10,000 in debt from credit cards/medical bills/late fees that I can't afford to pay. I get numerous collection calls daily that I ignore because I can't pay my bills, let alone my debt. I enrolled in a debt management program, but had to cancel when I lost my well-paying job. I haven't paid any credit card bills in over a year - simply because I can't. My boyfriend has no idea how depressed I am or how bad my finances are. I feel like I don't have a support system whatsoever, partially because my existing family has all but disowned me, and partially because I am too embarrassed and ashamed to talk to anyone about just how bad it really is. I can't afford the costs that are going to be associated with my EMT program, I may have to drop out of my classes, which would tear me apart. I don't know what to do. I am a hard worker, but I feel like I can't make any headway with anything financial related. I'm scared to talk to my boyfriend about it because despite how understanding he seems, it's possible he won't be able to handle the severity of the situation.

I feel like my depression eats away at me. I cry almost every day, I'm always exhausted, and the only time I'm somewhat at ease is when I'm alone at home, in bed with my dogs. I don't have motivation to go to work - I only go because I know that I have to. I don't make frivolous purchases, so it's hard to comprehend why I'm always struggling to even keep my head above water. It's extremely disheartening to know that I've ruined all chances of good credit before I'm 25, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I've always told myself that feeling sorry for myself won't change anything, but truthfully I don't know how not to. It could be worse. I've had suicidal thoughts, but no attempts. My dogs come into play in that sense, that's why they keep me alive - because I know that they need me. It goes without saying that I cannot afford counseling or prescriptions. I'm at a loss.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You've had a lot happen over the years and you're still struggling with debt and needing people to talk to and help point you in the direction of getting resources that might help you.

Let me suggest that you call the main number of your city/town and ask if you can speak with someone from Community Services. Then when you get to that person, explain your age (in our area, the workers are set up according to age groups of persons in need) and ask if you can come in as you need direction and resources.

Before you go to that appointment, make a list of all the questions you want to ask, including, but not limited to:

--What are the safe and free consumer debt counseling services for this area.
    --Are there free therapists for this area.
    --Would the consumer debt counseling help you set up a budget or is there someone separate for that?
    --Are there free local support groups in the area for debt, debt collection, and depression.
    --Are there any resources that can be thought of to help you with tuition for the EMT school??

My hope is that you can get to a therapist to start talking about everything in your life, and you may need help to grieve over the loss of your mother and the impending passing of your Dad. My Dad has stopped all meds, is in hospice and on the path to passing away and I'm already in the grieving process.

The consumer debt places (the honest ones) may be able to get collectors off your back and reduce your monthly payments to fit your present income. You need that help, but you only want that help from the honest ones and let the local city workers try to direct you.

I'm also thinking that the city workers might be able to direct you to any programs for tuition for the EMT studies.

So, don't give up. The wonders of credit is that it can be rebuilt even when it has been at the worst state. Take care and hugs.