New here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kittykat, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

Hi,
    I am new here and glad to have found a message board that know what I am dealing with. I am 24 and just been DX about 3 months ago! :)
    I am having a really hard time dealing iwth everything, and working, family, boyfriend etc.
    Anyone have any suggestions, or anything that may help little new me! :)
    Thanks so much
    kat
  2. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

Hi,
    I am new here and glad to have found a message board that know what I am dealing with. I am 24 and just been DX about 3 months ago! :)
    I am having a really hard time dealing iwth everything, and working, family, boyfriend etc.
    Anyone have any suggestions, or anything that may help little new me! :)
    Thanks so much
    kat
  3. Val

Val New Member

have found this site.I am sorry to hear you have just been
    DX with this D.D.
    I hope your family will give you plenty of support.
    Suggestions to help?
    I would introduce your family to here if they will take the time to do so. That way you will all learn more about what is causing your problems.
    My daughter is 23 and is getting blood tests for R.A.
    I think they may come back clear because she may have F.M.
    I am so sorry you have got it so early and hope there are lots of times when you don't hurt and can enjoy getting on with your life as you should in your twenties.
    Shalom...Val.
  4. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

I had been feeling really horrible for about 4 months and my mother was yelling at me to go get a physcial. I have always been a very active and healthy person. Up until then I started to gain a lot of weight, sleep all the time, didn't want to do anything at all. I went and got my physcail done and I came back with a + RA and an High ANA. I then went to a RA doctor and he said OH you have LUPUS...that toally freaked me out. We then went to find another doctor just to make sure.
    It was know I was not sleeping well at night, whole body ached. Headach...etc.
    THe new doctor came up with I had FM.....I am not still real sure what it is all about, but I am on Effexor XR to help with everything, but still can not lose any weight and still don't have any energy. I am also taking a a few other things but nothing to do with any energy.
    I am a little confused because I don't feel i am getting any better. Dec 10th I have another doctors apt. My family supports me but they just don't understand how I can differ from day to day how I feel. I think that is the hardest thing is covering up how I feel so I don't run off the boyfriend or make my family think I am full of it. Help! I just have so many questions, and could use a friend to talk to about this.

Thanks
    kat
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

That's my daughter's nickname. She uses it at school, but at home we still call her Kathy. Old habits are hard to break.

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Last year at this time I was still waiting for a dx. Since then I've made a lot of progress, but not enough to return to work. In fact my doc isn't sure I'll ever be able to do that. I have both CFS and FM.

I've learned so much from this board, both the posts and the library, plus the email bulletins and Tips of the Day. You can sign up for them on the Home page. I've also made a lot of friends here. I'm sure you will too.

My recommendation to you to help with energy is to begin by finding something that will help you sleep. Until you are able to gets a restful night's sleep you will not be able to heal. Many here use supplements and find them to work.
    I use Klonopin plus Trazadone.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Barbara
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

i just wanted to say hi and tell you youll find alot of support and info here im glad you joined us

kara
  7. achy

achy New Member

So sorry to hear of your DX. The best advise I can offer is to read, read, read. There are many reputable sites and lots of info regarding FM.
    Each of us differe in what works for us. Some meds will give one person energy, and totally exhaust another. Some meds work to help pain...some don't. Unfortunately it is trial and error for the first few months. The key is to get a good Doc that has lots of FM experience and willing to listen to you. Also make sure they do lots of blood works to rule out other diseases. Lyme, RA, Lupus, thyroid, etc.
    Family support is the most helpful...If you have to rest or can't do some activity it's so much easier on you if you don't have to explain yourself over and over to you friends & family. All I have to say is "fibro day" and my hubby understands. I don't have to waste my energy explaining everything.
    I read a great story, I think on this site in the coping corner that really helped me put things in perspective.
    What is really funny is that I have a glass bowl full of marbles we have found on our property. The original log cabin, built in 1929 burned down a few years before we bought the property. The owner had a bid jug of marbles, that got distroyed, along wiht everything else. Everytime I dig I find a marble.....Anywho...
    Look at your day as a bowl of marbles. Each activity will cost you a marble. When the marbles are gone, you are done. So use your marbles wisely.
    This has helped me manage my time and energy wisely. My hubby will even ask me when he gets home from work "how many marbles did you use today?" - LOL
    sure beats...how do you feel, what hurts, etc.
    You will find alo of info here, and much needed support.
    If you ever need a shoulder to cry on somebody is always here...Welcome
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I am sorry you are so young, and having to deal with this at your age. Education is one of the best medicines. This will enable you to get the treatment that is most beneficial to you. Research---spending as much time as possible. You must be your own advocate--in this, and hopefully can find a doctor who is very knowledgeable, and willing to spend the time neccessary, to manage your case. These are complex disorders, and require a great deal of work--sometimes experimentation--in order to fit the treatment to you, as an individual. You will learn what to expect, how to pace yourself, and lots of helpful tips and information on this site as well. There are some very informed people here. Best Wishes, and we are here to support you!
    Karen
  9. cls

cls New Member

Welcome to the board. I'm thrilled that I found it. This has been a wonderful resource for me. I've not only learned things, but feel somewhat validated when I see others having the same symptoms (after having docs look at me like I am crazy).
    I have a friend whose FM started as a teenager. She went to college, married, has a full time job. The trick is to keep your symptoms managed. And of course, a good doctor is key to that. Having a caregiver that is aware of alternative approaches does help also. I'm a firm believer in nutritional approaches, massage, and chiropractic in addition to traditional medical care.
    You will be ok with this. Keep a positive mental attitude. When you are having a bad day, go to this message board, read a few posts so you know you are not alone, and remind yourself that if you address your symptoms, you will feel better. As new symptoms occur, remind yourself that you can address this symptom, and will get better. Always allow yourself to hope. Hope is crucial to staying on top of this.