NEW HUMAN PARVOVIRUS not B19

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Mar 17, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

...In humans, the first identified pathogenic member of this family is parvovirus B19; other B19-related human parvoviruses include A6 and V9. B19 is highly contagious, exhibits high morbidity in affected populations, and causes fifth disease in normal individuals, transient aplastic crisis in patients with underlying hemolysis, and chronic anemia due to persistent infection in immunocompromised patients... B19 has also been implicated as the cause of chronic arthritis in adults where there is evidence of recent B19 infection, e.g., rheumatoid and inflammatory arthritis.

Despite the known pathogenicity of parvoviruses and the urgent need for methods to prevent, diagnose and treat parvovirus infections, other human parvoviruses have not yet been identified.

Therefore a need exists to identify human parvoviruses and to provide a method for diagnosing, preventing and treating parvovirus infection. Moreover, there exists a need to provide methods to detect, purify and/or remove parvoviruses from samples such as human blood products.

INVENTION DESCRIPTION:

UCSF investigators have identified, for the first time, a new human parvovirus HP-4.

Symptoms associated with HP-4 infection include cold-like symptoms or symptoms of an acute viral illness, including fatigue, night sweats, phyrangitis, myalgia, arthralgia, neck stiffhess, vomiting diarrhea, and confusion. Some or all symptoms, in varying degree, may be present in an HP-4 infection.

They have also identified HP-4’s genomic sequence of the virus, and open-reading frames encoding viral proteins. Studies are currently underway to establish a link between this novel parvovirus and a human disease.

IP STATUS:
    * U.S. patent pending
    * International Patent Publication Number- WO06065273A2: NEW HUMAN PARVOVIRUS

REFERENCES:
    * Fryer JF, Kapoor A, Minor PD, Delwart E, Baylis SA. Novel parvovirus and related variant in human plasma. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006 Jan;12(1):151-4.
    * Jones MS, Kapoor A, Lukashov VV, Simmonds P, Hecht F, Delwart E. New DNA viruses identified in patients with acute viral infection syndrome. J Virol. 2005 Jul;79(13):8230-6.

-----------------

I also do know that some humans can catch the canine parvo... rare, but possible.

Victoria

2. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Hi, Victoria, thanks for the info. Where do you get it from and any idea about why they want to patent it?
  3. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

that sounds exactly like what my son went through several time!
    Where did you get this from?
    very interesting

karina
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I just googled 'parvo virus human' and maybe with 'canine' too, and came up with this U of C San Francisco research...

www.otm.ucsf.edu/tech/otm2004073.asp - 15k

I guess they can patent a newly discovered virus? --because it doesn't sound as if they mfr'd it. Maybe by patenting it, they're also securing rights to making a vaccine for it, or worse, weaponizing it.

Actually the reason I googled parvo in the first place was because it was being discussed here, & was trying to find out about the very rare cases when canine parvo has shown up in humans...

I know a psychologist who worked with a pt who was basically sworn to secrecy that she'd had it, dx'd by CDC. Sounds incredible, but the source is trustworthy.

I think any virus/bacteria can probably jump to a susceptible human given the right ones... thankfully it appears many don't survive.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
  5. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

patenting of FINDINGS and TESTING is done most of the time with all such new viruses or bacteria or any other research findings.
    Meirleir patented his Rnase L test!

i suspected that the distemper virus our puppy died of jumped and infected us. my son was very sick and he had the exact symptoms of it and also me i started with less severe symptoms.
    i phoned the biggest hospital in Switzerland from India, just because i was so concerned about my son.
    the doctor send me a mail saying: normally Distemper is not infecting hummans. But when i googled it, i found the information that in immune comprom. human, it can couse symptoms, less severe and not deadly like in dogs.

karina
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2007]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Did you find anything that could help? Could you find any doctor to take you seriously?

best,
    Victoria

7. Ginner

Ginner New Member

good infor
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

This sounds like the PIV-5 virus the national cfids foundation is talking about in their newsletter. (ncf-net.org)

I think they patent them for two reasons: one, to let other researchers know there has been a way to detect them, and two, to do as another poster stated (to be able to have the primary shot at finding treatment(s).

There is money to be made in patenting these things if there is a newly generated way to detect them...that is another reason they are patented.

Interesting post...thanks. You may want to read the NCF site I mentioned.

There's always hope!
    findmind
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

it will be interesting to see what develops...!

10. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

From what I understand, these are two different types of viruses.

Also, one reason why they may want to patent is if they use the virus later in genetic experiments (as a carrier of genes).
  11. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

NEW HUMAN PARVOVIRUS not B19
  12. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

that died a few years back from parvo- is that different??? My understanding was that the virus is in the dirt of the yard, etc, and is never killed. It can only be killed by Clorox on hard surfaces, but say, carpet and stuff always carries it.
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Your right, it is hard to get rid of... can be carried on a person's clothing etc even.

It does go away with time but can remain for a very very long time. We lost a puppy to it one summer (we were out of town and had a dogsitter who didn't catch it in time);

Then we got a new puppy 6 months later who got it even tho we have all hard surfaces in the house and it was winter and frozen outside ... we got the new pup treatment immediately and he lived to be 11 (a rottweiler).

Then I gave a temporary home to a pair of 'hybrid' wolf/dogs who had never been vaccinated due to bad reaction to their first shots as pups... We had the entire yard sprayed with a weak chlorine solution... then they had their shots after coming here. They never got it. That is about what it took to be sure... that or close watchfulness.

hope this helps,
    Victoria