New in Austin Texas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadlhopper, Oct 29, 2006.

1. kadlhopper

kadlhopper New Member

Just moved to the Austin Texas area and am scared to death to start the Dr. search all over again. I have heard horror stories about the medical community not validating fibro here. I have been battling nerve pain for six months now, and need to get something going.

Anyone from Austin area have any advice.
    Kadlhopper
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2006]
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Howdy, Pricklypain!
    I just moved to Arkansas from Dallas about 3 yrs ago..lived in suburbs of Dallas for 35 yrs. Welcome to this board. All of us here are in the same boat...you'll find a lot of warm and caring folks here.

I don't know of any doctors in Austin, but there were a couple of posts from Austin folks about "barking dogs" just in the past hour, I'd say. Check back over the posts, and I will also. If I can find them, I'll direct them to you...Okay?

Will be talking to you!!

~~~
    LadyLew

3. kadlhopper

kadlhopper New Member

Thanks Ladylew any help is much appreciated!!
    As of today am feeling hopeless and wanting to give up.

4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Kadlhopper,

It's me again, Lew. Post to zenouchy and joyfully. They are both from Austin. I will also send them a post telling them to look for you. This will bump your post for you.

Will be talking to you!

Best of luck!
    ~~~
    LadyLew
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2006]
  5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Bumping for kadlhopper
  6. ladykew

ladykew New Member

7. jarjar

jarjar New Member

There is a yahoo cfs/fm group in Austin. You might try searching yahoo groups. I will try to find out more for you.

J
  8. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hey, Kadlhopper!

I'm so glad you got a response from someone in Austin.
    Sounds very promising. We're all in this with you. Just hang in there...we'll get the word out!

I think maybe zenouchy and joyfully went into the chat room. But I'm sure they will see their posts when they get out.

We'll keep you bumped up. If I go to sleep and don't bump you, or if you don't get anymore replies to bump you, go ahead and bump yourself to keep you at the top..OKAY???

Lots of hugs!
    Lew

9. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Kadlhopper!

How are you feeling? Now that we have the word out, we can maybe stop and take a breather and find out a little about each other. It might take a day or two to get some responses, and you have to keep on top of it...this is a huge board. Or did you know that...have you used this board from where you came from?

Where did you move from? Did you have a good doctor where you came from...a Rheumatologist? Are you married? Children? Do you work? If you haven't already,look at my bio...I didn't tell everything,I don't think, but it would take a book to tell all the horrors I've been through!

I have a wonderful Rheumatologist and Psychiatrist in Dallas. For 3 years my Mother, who is 80 now (will be in November), has driven me to my appointments every 3 to 6 months. Thank the good Lord she is able...it's 350 miles from our little town of Clarksville, Arkansas. I drive in the city of Dallas, as I am used to it, but I have FM and very serious CFS as well as a host of other things.

The trip always puts me into a flare, and I'm largely bedbound for a couple of months afterwards, even though we take extra time and stay two nights in a motel. I can only handle one or two activites a week; such as lunch with a friend, or getting my hair done. I try to go to church with my Mother on Sunday and then out to lunch. That is my main priority, but often cannot make that due to the severity of my fatigue.

That is why I am going to have to find other doctors closer to me. It is too taxing on me, and is getting to where it makes Mother tired, even though she is still fit as a fiddle, especially for her age. She would never complain, but I can tell.

I have had FM for 20+ years, and the pain is just a part of me. I have pain medication and muscle relaxers, which do help some, but am not on anything heavy duty and do not want to be. My CFIDS started about 10+ years ago and has gotten progressively worse. I am now having some neurological problems that worry me, and I do have a Neurologist who is only 65 miles from here. I think it's time for another visit.

Here are a few suggestions that might help you get more responses:

1. Post again...Make your message line stronger; ie,Use the smiley face with the hand wave (this is just the usual thing "Newbies" do that we look for. (not that your "butt
    swing" isn't hilarious!!!) Newbie:Austin,TX(HELP!)
    (When we ask for help, people will respond more readily.)

2. Fill out your bio. If you need some help, Post and ask for help in filling out bio. You'll definitely get some responses.

3. Keep your Post bumped up! The way you do this is to reply to your own post. Put BUMP in the title line; and in the message part, put BUMP and if you want to, a few words. (Sometimes when I'm bumping up someone else's post, I'll say, BUMPING for KADLHOPPER.

4. KEEP CHECKING your post. This is the way people will correspond with you until you post again. Also, you will see my responses to you.

Well, that's all I can think of for right now. I'm really sorry you're suffering so much with nerve pain. Since you don't have a doctor yet, do you have some medication still on hand to help you out?

As you can see, my ID is LadyKew (that was a typo) haha. But I'm stuck with it until I decide to go through all it would take to change it. My name is Lewellyn, and I go by Lew. What's yours?

Hugs,
    Lew
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

If you look under the purple tabs at top of page, you'll see "doctors"....I do believe they have one in Austin listed!

If for any reason you can't find one there, there is a dr. in New Braunfels, about 40 miles south of Austin, her name is Dr. Terry Horan. She has FM patients; she is a Rheumatologist and believes in making her patients pain free!

Best of luck to you...
    findmind

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Kadlhopper,

First, a very warm welcome to the Lone Star State! Where did you move from?

You have little if nothing to worry about. Most docs I've seen are great. Nothing is a utopia, but I've NEVER had a doc invalidate my fibro or even come close to it. In fact, it's been the opposite. I wish docs knew more about our illness like everyone else on the board, and my docs do know some, but NOT ONCE have they invalidated it. My docs try to help me and always answer my questions without giving me that look like I'm nuts.

Makes me wonder WHO told you Austin docs were so bad? That's so odd. At any rate, they must not have been seeing the right ones! I just posted to Joyfully's "are you from austin" (or whatever I titled it), but here it is again. It sounds like you might need a neurologist based on the fact that you have nerve pain. And guess what? My neruologist is one of my fave docs that I see! He is very thorough and a total sweetheart. I don't see him on a regular basis, but I've been to him about 3 times, and he's consistently been very kind and very thorough.

Here's who I see that I would highly recommend. Some of these folks, I don't know if they are seeing new patients. These docs don't "specialize in fibro" (few docs do), but they do have knowledge of it and are quite competent. The ones I list below I would send any of my friends and family to in a heartbeat. (I now live just outside of Austin, in Round Rock, so some of the docs are there, but some practice in both Austin AND Round Rock, but some are worth the short drive to RR.)

Internal Medicine: Dr. Frederick Fung, North Austin Medical Center Located at Parmer & Mopac (In Austin): 901-4009 (a total sweetheart and knowledgeable!)

Dr. Shawn Maloney, urologist, Urology Associates 244-0161 (Round Rock, TX and I think he sees patients in Austin also) older man, competent, thorough, nice

Dr. Adam Horvit (SO NICE and VERY competent!), Neurologist (I think he practices in both Austin and RR): 388-5042 (Austin location) or 218-1222 (RR location)

Dr. Mark Maunder (gynecologist)- just switched to him after ending a terrible relationship with a previous gyno which came as a shock. Came highly recommended from a friend who's had ovarian cancer, so she's VERY picky. He's FANTASTIC. VERY THOROUGH and INVOLVES THE PATIENT. 244-3698 (he's in RR)

Dr. James E. Kreisle, Jr. Psychiatrist 454-5716 38th Street, off of Mopac (Austin) **Can't recommend him highly enough** THOROUGH, COMPETENT, PATIENT, RESPECTFUL, PROFESSIONAL, OBJECTIVE but a caring teddy bear underneath the objectivity. He just wants to help you, and he will work with you and let you make your own med choices (as long as they don't harm you of course). He sees lots of fibromyalgia patients.

*All of the RR locations are off of 620.

I know of a rheumy too but I don't see one anymore. I'd have to go look it up. The rheumy I saw wasn't the "best one", but he was good; there's an even better one, and I can go find his name and number if you need it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!! Let me know if you have more questions, whether doc related or anything else that would help you transition to Austin.

All the best, Erika
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I've heard of two doctors in the Austin area that were mentioned on this board or the rheumamisfits board.

The fibro doctor was located in Round Rock. I believe a lady posted about bringing her daughter down here from Minnesota or some state close to Minnesota. This message was posted at least a year ago---maybe 2 years ago.

There is a second doctor down in Austin that is supposed to be holistic that was mentioned by a bunch of fm patients. I'm attempting to look through some old papers to see if I still have his name. you are supposed to be able to get a consultation over the phone. You go online and answer many pages of questions prior to the phone consultation. If you live in the Austin area, then you go to him in person for the consultation.

My rheumatologist is Michael Pickrell. He is in downtown Austin by the Seaton Hospital. I don't know his views on fm. I do know that he is excellent at injecting joints that have arthritis.
  13. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Kadlhopper,

It's just me, LadyLew...Checking up on you. I see you've alaready made some new friends!

You have some really good leads from your new friends in Austin. Got your work cut out for you looking for those new doctors. ha-ha. Well, that's good. Hope you find the one for you!!!

Keep on the board...I'll be looking for your posts.

Peace and good health,
    Hugs,
    Lew

14. kadlhopper

kadlhopper New Member

Hey Ladylew,

You are a life saver, this is all new to me and will take all day to get through the responses. I have never used a message board before so if I make mistakes I apoligize.
    I am married, kids all grown and gone on there own. I was diagnoised about 11 years ago, had never even met my MD until that fateful day in January. Woke up, couldn't move my left arm, pain so bad. Won't go into gory details. Then came the fog, walking into walls, slurred speech, so on. I spent three years being told I probably had MS. From Nuerologists, Neruo surgeons, rhuem. pain clinics phys therapy so on. You know the drill. My family doc is wonderful!!! I have just lost my best support system with him. Like I said I am scared. Last six months have suffered lots of nerve pain, and totally debilitating headaches, nerve headaches. My only somewhat relief is pain meds, which is now dwidling down.

I moved from Michigan and am scared being here.

Like I said, I am new to this so bear with me.

Thanks again,
    Guess I'll stay with kadlhopper!!!!
  15. kadlhopper

kadlhopper New Member

Thanks findmind,

Helps to know I do have some support. New to this so bear with me.

Will check the tabs, thanks again.

Kadlhopper
  16. kadlhopper

kadlhopper New Member

Hi Erika,

Thanks so much for the info. I have been overwhelmed with lots of respones, names, and so on.

I just moved from Michigan, husbands job is actually in Buda. I have had a hard time adjusting. Whole new world to me. I have met two women one with CFS and one with FM, they both had me scared and on the verge of tears. Telling me the only Dr's to see are in Houston, they said no one in Austin believes in this horrible what they call syndrome, I call my huge monkey.

My family Dr was my best suupport system, he actually diagnosed me 11 years ago. But yes I do have alot of nerve pain as of the last six months. And the head pain is enough to make me want to crawl into bed and die.

Am going to make some calls today, I appreciate your help, and thanks for the welcome. I am new to message boards so hopefully I will do this right!!!

Kadlhopper
  17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hello!

It's Erika again. I'm so sorry that you are feeling so much stress.
    (((((BIG HUGS)))))) I don't know why your friends with fibro and cfs told you that docs in Austin invalidate these illnesses. My experience has been the complete opposite.

Austin and Round Rock are growing very fast, and therefore it's attracting a lot of high-quality doctors.

I know you are feeling overwhelmed about your move and where to go just to find a doctor. However, my suggestion would be to call a neurologist and know that it's over with. You will likely feel better knowing that you're going to be seen and that a doc is going to start dxing your nerve pain.

That's certainly adding to your stress. My neurologist is SO WONDERFUL. He's so competent, thorough, easy-going and respectful. He just puts you at ease. His name is Dr. Adam Horvit. Phone number 338-5042 (for the Austin locale)

That's my suggestion. The fact that you've been given a lot of recs for good docs is a sign that there really are a lot of great docs here. Forget about what your friends said. You'll see that aside from a few bad apples that you'll find anywhere, most docs here are great. Keep us posted.

Love, Erika
  18. mary124

mary124 New Member

Where in Austin do you actually live? You mentioned your husband working in Buda. Do you live South, North, Central. Actually, Austin is easy to get around to. So even if you go north or even Round Rock its not that far. I live in the Hutto, Georgetown area but work in Austin and most of my doctors are Central, however my Uro. Dr. Grady Bruce is in Round Rock, (he is with Urology Associates. (over by Round Rock Hospital, about 30 minutes from work and home, so very convenient.--I think someone mentioned another doctor who is in his practice I think it was Mahoney?)

I was born and raised in California then moved to the Houston area. I have lived here in and around Austin for the last 25 years. If you need to contact me you can. I'm not on the boards all the time, but I do check in at least once aweek. Good luck in finding doctors. Austin is full of the best.

Mary
  19. Summit

Summit New Member

I am not from Austin, but lived in Kingsland, Tx for a few years (back many years ago) I always thought Austin seemed like a nice place. Maybe the warmer weather will help your fibro?? Let us know if it does. Instead of being scared, think of it as a new adventure. New places to see, people to meet! You found the right place when you came to this board!! take care look forward to seeing you here on the forum. Welcome, welcome
  20. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Kadlhopper,

You're doing GREAT on the boards. I'm really proud of you.
    And you are very welcome. If I was helpful to you, then I'm happy, because that was my mission. It didn't take long before you were getting some great responses from the Austin and Round Rock ladies.

I'm failiar with those areas. My ex-husband's famiy lives in those parts, and we were there just about every other weekend or so from Dallas to visit and go fishing and camping. We had some good times.

Have you decided on a doctor yet? What did you think about the Neurologist? That sounds like a good idea especially with your symptoms. You'll probably be sent to one eventually anyway. I know I was for evaluation.

There are some great doctors in Austin. They have treated my ex-family many, many times with very serious surgeries and heart disease, and life-threatening auto accidents.
    My MIL (mother in law) was a surgical nurse there for many years before she retired.

Don't listen to those who fill you full of negative thoughts. They're just talking. Maybe they had a bad experience with a doctor, but that doesn't mean that all of them are that way.

I know you're scared. It's different being way down here in the South than way up there in Michigan. Naturally, our ways are not going to be the same as what you are used to entirely, but the main thing is, there are really nice, friendly folks here. And that is universal. People who want to help will seek you out, just like they have on this message board.

You asked for help, and BOY, did you get help! haha. That's just wonderful. But I hope we all were able to unvalidate the horror stories you've heard about the medical community not validating fibro there. I believe the Lord will direct you to the right doctors who will get you on the right path and make you comfortable once again.

I'll be checking for your posts. I was really glad to hear from you and hear about your family. Take care and let me know what's going on!

Hugs,
    Lew