New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by estelita, Jun 19, 2005.

1. estelita

estelita New Member

Anyone in NJ?
  2. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Me! I am in central NJ.
  3. estelita

estelita New Member

I'm in Somerset, just north of Princeton. What doctor do you go to for FMS?
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hey! I'm in Matawan!!

I don't see anyone except for my general pracitioner, so I'm not really being treated much at all. :-(

I searched and searched but could not find one that took Medicare. Most of the good ones seem to be Integrated medicine and don't deal with insurance.

I went to one guy named Menashe in Edison and he was not good at all IMHO.

Who do you go to?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2005]
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hey There!

I'm in northern Jersey- closer to Morristown.

I see Dr. Sanders Davis in Morristown. He is a Physical Medicine & Rehabilation MD - who has an office in Morristown. I think he also amy have an office furhter south.

I've only been seeing him for a few months- he is absolutely wonderful! Kind, caring, gentle. He was trained under Dr. St. Amand. He believesin making changes and adjustments slowly as to not overwhelm your body.

Gotta go, have an appt!

Patty
  6. JerseySue

JerseySue New Member

I'm near Hackensack!!!!
    Gentle Hugs Sue
  7. tlynott

tlynott New Member

Good Morning Everyone

You can call me T I have been a voyeur on this sight for three years. (read it everyday)

Live in Freehold and am moving shortly to a new House in Jackson. I work in New Brunswick and my commute is insane and will be getting longer. When we move it will take me approximately 2 hours to get to and from work. I have gone through every kind of treatment and tests for my symptoms for three years. I have given up on doctors and choose to treat myself with lots of TLC.

Wishing you all health

T
  8. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I'm headed to Freehold today to see my doc! I am originally from Point Pleasant. Born and raised there until I moved up here to be with my husband.

Now that he is gone, I'd like to move back home but it has grown from a small town to too expensive!
  9. estelita

estelita New Member

I used to see Dr. Hunninghake in Princeton, but he retired. :( I loved him. Now I'm looking for someone new. I'd travel far for the right person.
  10. vickiw

vickiw Member

estelita - did Huninghake retire? I never went to him but my mom and hubby did. [EDIT - just looked at your post again and ok, so I can't read! it has been really BAD couple of days with the fog thing]

I am currently seeing Dr Podell and Dr King in Somerset. They also have an office in Springfield. They don't take insurance but will fill in forms if you want to try and get reimbursed.

They have a website, you can search on Dr. Podell's name. I started seeing them in April. They are great but as much as I like them, treatment hasn't helped at all yet. I think the increasing stress on my job is hurting any potential progress. I'm thinking of going out on temporary disability.

v.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2005]
  11. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hey Vicki,

Has your insurance reimbursed you for Dr. Podell? I just can't afford the out of pocket up front $$. I need to stay in network w/ my insurance.

I'm no longer working, now I am disabled, but waiting for a date before a judge for SSD.(Ggggrrrr)

What have they tried so far? Do you feel confident with them that you would stick w/ Podell & King if you went on disability?

I just wonder since Podell's other "specialty" is treating children w/ autism - uumm yea that was my area of expertise too. I taught, then was a behavior consultant for autistic children. So I do find his practice quite intruguing - but totallly unaffordable.

Wishing you better health!

Hugs,
    Patty
  12. Tinkrbel

Tinkrbel New Member

Rutherford, right near Giant Staduim

My Rheumy is in Riverdale about 35 minutes from here.

I am in the appeal area awaiting for a hearing. I have hired Binder and Binder as my attorney. So we will see.

Be disabled since Nov 2003, but have been diganosed with fibro in 1993.

I guess the DD has taken over.

Anyways, welcome and it is delightful to see you all from Jersey.
    Tinkrbel
  13. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I'm from North Jersey:)

If anyone is interested in an alternative care doc near Wayne, let me know. I have been with him for years and he is a kind and caring doctor.

Warm Regards,
    Jennifer
  14. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I live about 10-15 minutes south of Princetown.

I see a doc in Bucks county PA as well as my PCP (not too crazy about him).

Dr Katz is right across from the Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne PA. I'm quite pleased with him.

All his info is posted on the co-cure good docs list. That's how I found him when my original PCP left private practice.

Dr K has been a God-send to me.

Mar
  15. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi Patty,

I've been seeing Podell/King since April. I submitted one insurance form which was rejected. My carrier is Cigna. I had a friend challenge nonpayment of an out-of-network claim and they ended up paying a percentage. I intend to challenge, but I just haven't had the time or energy yet.

Podell has decent credentials which is why I decided to take the gamble and splurge. He's a Harvard grad, teaches at Robert Wood Johnson medical school, and takes part in drug studies (eg Ampligen). I figured, at a minimum, he's probably not a quack.

Before they agree to see you, you have to fill out an 18 page questionnaire, WHICH THEY HAVE ACTUALLY READ before you come for your appointment!

The first appointment lasts 1 1/2 - 2 hours of direct focus on you (they're not shuffling between patients and you don't have any pockets of waiting time).

I haven't come to a solid conclusion yet on whether I think it has been worth the money. I feel that at least I'm leaving no stone unturned.

What we've done/looked at so far:

They suggested a couple of supplements to those I was already taking.

Breathing - they timed me panting (like the Lamaze "he he he"). I did it for 14 seconds before I thought I would pass out. Supposedly, healthy people can do it for up to 4 minutes! Ergo, I needed to learn some breathing exercises which have definitely helped that short of breath feeling.

Blood volume and orthostatic hypotension - tested for the first (my volume is low, so we are working on this) and decided I didn't need further testing for the second.

Blood tests - they tested for things that other docs did not (I brought results from recent tests). Specifically, cortisol, Gliadin, Homocysteine, and carnitene.

Overnight sleep study - doc now has me trying Xyrem. Helps me sleep soundly, but I don't feel any better at all during the day.

Provigil - for daytime alertness. This helps some people, but not me, at least at the doses I've tried.

Exercise - walk 1/4 mile. I'm supposed to start anaerobic exercise with a physiologist but that will cost extra. (I'm having doubts about the exercise after reading Grayzak's post. I'm going to ask them about that).

Stress reduction - herbal supplements and meditation (HeartMath).

We've done all this in 3 appointments. The insurance paid for the blood tests, sleep study and Xyrem (Doctor gave me samples of the Provigil).

I see you're further North and if you decide to go to them, you'd probably go the Springfield office, which is a regular doctor's office setting. If you (or anyone here) decides to go the Somerset office, I have to warn you, it is not a traditional office setting.

The Somerset office is in a big, run down looking Victorian house in a seedy residential area. I was turned off at first and almost decided not to go. However, it's charming inside and Dr. King will tell you about its history. Now I love it and use it for my 'peaceful place' when I do the visualization portion of my meditation.

All around, it's been an interesting experience!

Vicki

16. JerseySue

JerseySue New Member

I'm near Hackensack. The dr you go to...that's Riverdale-out rt 80? Not RiverVale near Westwood right? Just wanted to clarify it. I am hoping to find another rheumy who is a little more agressive in treatment. The one I have now is an internist who subspecializes in rheumy, he's nice and compassionate, but.....looking for someone a little more cutting edge I guess.
    Gentle Hugs Sue
  17. ilkj2

ilkj2 New Member

yardviile near sixflags jackson go to fibro and fatigue centre in philly very aggressive and nice
  18. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Vicki,

What kind of testing did Podell do to establish what your blood volume is and how will they treat it?

Do you know what kind of tests they do to establish orthostatic intolerance?

Thanks,
    Jennifer
  19. vickiw

vickiw Member

I may have misspoke (or mis-wrote). I checked my notes and Dr Podell did a simple test in his office to see if I needed further testing for neurally mediated hypotension. Is that the same as Orthostatic hypotension or Orthostatic intolerance?

At any rate, they took my blood pressure and pulse rate while I was seated and relaxed for at least 1/2 hour (in this office, the first visit is 2 hours and they have a comfy recliner to sit in). Then I stood up and they took them again. Then I stood in place for 5 minutes without moving and they took them again.

If my blood pressure dropped upon standing, that would indicate possible NMH and a need for further testing.

What happened however was that my BP stayed pretty steady, but my pulse speeded up and stayed that way, from 74 to 136. They told me that this indicates that the heart is trying to compensate for lack of sufficient blood volume by pumping faster.

The doctor recommended increasing salt and fluids to see if that helps. If it doesn't help, they will try medication. It seems to have helped somewhat, but not dramatically. We're to discuss at my next appt.

Vicki
  20. Lau

Lau New Member

Great Meadows - west of Hackettstown.

Hi Jersey people!!

Laurie