New kid on the block

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by AmandaJean, Jan 21, 2004.

1. AmandaJean

AmandaJean New Member

Hi there! I have both Chronic fatigue & Fibromyalgia. The Cfids hit me first back in 1988. The FM hit me shortly after that. In my case they go hand in hand. I am only on my feet when my pain med (Darvocet) kicks in. I get about 7 or 8 hours of pain relief a day in 2 separate doses. Without my pain meds ( I take a few other ones as well) I could not function. So right now I'm asking any or all of you about your experience with pain medicine. I used to take Ultram but when I kept asking for stronger doses my doctor decided to switch me to Darvocet. I end here and wish you all a better day ahead!

Sincerely,

AmandaJean
  2. fmscfids

fmscfids New Member

My FM started back in 88 with CFIDs as well...a host of events including being sprayed with Malathion and other things led up to my "crash and burn"

Everyone is different concerning pain meds...I was on the maximum dose of Ultram for about 4 years ... I then developed terrible rebound headaches from it as well as my hair breaking off and thinning profusely. At that point in time my doctor felt it was safer for me to take Oxycontin because most all other pain meds make me itch in the most severe way and do nothing for the pain. Oxycontin is very contraversial...I had to sign a contract with my doc..you cannot call in or mail a prescription, it has to be picked up in person (and I have to drive 80 miles RT each month to pick up the prescription). I have to be very careful to keep my dose low as if I break a bone or anything...I'm on my own, I've found....no one will or can prescribe anything else or more for pain...I am terrified that if I were in an accident of any kind, I'd be left there in agony...so it has it drawbacks, however, on a day to day basis, it's been a miracle drug that allows me to have a little quality time and to continue to be a Mom to my two teens. I look at it as a double edge knife...it cuts both ways.

Robin
  3. maza

maza New Member

I HAVE BOTH,I BEEN LIKE THIS FOR 15YRS.I HAVE ABOUT 11 PRESSURE POINTS,THAT HURT VERY MUCH.SOME DAYS I FIND IT HARD TO GO ON.ONLY WAT I GET THROUGH EACH DAY,IS TAKE AS IT COMES,AND MAKE THE MOST OF THE GOOD DAYS.
    I TAKE MORPHIN FOR THE PAIN.IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS.
    HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU.TRY AND KEEP SMILING.LOVE MAZA