New Lounge #173

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, everyone. Thank you all so very much for your sweet kind words. They are so helpful to me and your support means the world to me. Sorry I can't address each and every person here but don't have too much time. I've been sleep deprived since taking in the kitties. Tweety is OK but Sylvester is up every two hours, howling. Last night, I finally got smart and locked them outta my bedroom. I bought another litter box and put it out on the lanai in the corner. Their other one is now in the shower in my bath.

God isn't only giving me more purpose, He is sending me an important lesson in, not only giving, but also being humble enough to receive what is given back in return. I would help my friends and neighbors out when they need it without expecting anything in return but the kindness I've received has been beautiful. Barb gave me a lovely necklace. The neighbor who owns the condo with the A/C flood bought an expensive dispenser of kittie pheromones to calm them down.

Yesterday, the lady downstairs had a flood in her bathroom from a tube to her water filter under her vanity. I loaned the wet 'n dry vac to her and helped get things out of the way. The floor evidently slopes and the water ran out into the bedroom and took a turn and flooded her closet. What a mess. As I was leaving, she offered me her "cat condo," which her cat no longer uses. It's one of those carpeted things with a couple of levels for the cats to perch on. They are expensive.

Now, I get it! God is teaching me to give AND receive. He is also teaching me that, just because there is one rotten apple in the hood, I am surrounded by wonderful, caring and generous people. The bitterness in my heart toward that mean woman has been replaced with the love of my friends. It's the same love I feel for everyone here. Thank you all.

I've been gone a couple of days for doctor appts. and trying to sleep off the fatigue in between emergencies :) Hopefully, I can get back and reply to everyone. Thank you all again.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mmmmm, potato soup. There is nothing like homemade soup. I made some green chili salsa with pork for a Mexican dish and it was delish but very spicy. Right now, spicy isn't what I need. Froze the rest.

Thanks, Diane, for your kind words. I appreciate them. I hope this is temporary but it was here or nothing. Actually, the cats are acclimating very well. I think Sylvester likes living inside and being catered to. Tweety wants to go out but she likes it in here too. I don't think on the horse farm they would have anywhere near the human socializing they've had here. It's just me or the occasional visitor in my condo. Everyone misses them.

My hope is the whacko woman will move. She is getting worse by the day. She's doing all kinds of things trying to draw attention to herself. She's going off the deep end fast. I actually feel bad for her because I'm sure she's not OK. Still, because of her, these sweet little kitties, who love everyone and never hurt anyone, have to live inside, at least, for now. Her behavior has stressed Jeff almost to the breaking point. I'm afraid he'll have another heart attack. He's only 50. He's sweet and sensitive. She is a madwoman juggernaut.

The cats and I have pretty much set up a routine now. They have breakfast, play with toys, get groomed and then are free to wrestle or sleep. When I go out on the Balcony for coffee, I can put them out on the lanai. They love being up high observing all the goings on around the pond. They are 3 years old now so no so active as kittens. Simon was here early for his breakfast. He's looking good but was surprised to see Tweety looking out at him through the storm door.

My old Herpes-Family Virus is trying to rear its ugly head now that I'm fighting a UTI, so I'm back on Acyclovir. Yesterday was the worst but it's much better now. Think I'll turn in early again so I can get up early tomorrow to serve these cats who allow me to live with them :)

Hope y'all have a lovely evening.

Love, Mikie

3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I love to make soup too. A great way to clean out the frig of this and that......I just call it dump soup.......never know how it's going to turn out. I'm probably reincarnated from some out peasant lady in Europe back in the l500s because I get a big kick out of creating out of a little bit of nothing........anyone ever read "stone soup"?

Mikie: I sure hope that lady would just sell out and move away. If your kitties are used to so many people around and they're stuck out near a barn without people, don't think they would be happy. I'm sorry you're still fighting more stuff. Seems like our bodies just get beaten down with one thing after another. And hope Barb is better too.

Barry: I totally understood you when you posted.....butts instead of buttons.....but we all enjoy a bit of humor. We've got coyotes around our house. My husband has run into them at 6:00 a.m. and again at 9 PM at night. Me, I don't like to go out on the streets for a walk unless there's a lot of cars driving around.

My daughter lives in an area where there are deer and also mountain lions. Her sister in law was out around ll a.m. with her large dog. Someone stopped the car and told her there was a mountain lion stalking them. She got home very quickly.

I've been busy making travel reservations Portland, Oregon for the week of thanksgiving. My son has lived there 5 years and we've never been up to see the city because every time we think we should go I HURT so I put it off. Just can't keep doing it though.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow, being stalked by a mountain lion. I'd hustle home fast too. Stay safe so you can get to Portland. My daughter used to go there for business and loved it. I'm hoping to stay well so I can get to Denver to see my other daughter. Boulder, my hometown, is being hit hard by flooding right now. I'm doing a bit better and the cats and I are settling down into a routine so it's getting easier. The crazy woman is getting worse by the day. Her onetime best friend avoids her like the plague. I wish she'd move. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than being able to turn the cats free so they can enjoy all their friends in the hood and vice-versa. In the meantime, I'll just keep spoiling them.

Spacee said to say Hi to everyone. She is starting the peptide injections but has been very tired and can't post right now.

I'm off to read our newspaper online and do the crossword puzzle to try to save what's left of my pea brain.

Love, Mikie
  5. bct

bct Member

The day before yesterday was 101 degrees. Ghastly. Yesterday the high was 75 degrees which was much better, needless to say. And today is ok.

We just got through hanging some herbs to dry from the ceiling. And we have so many tomatoes that I guess we'll have to sauce, or something. Quite a few peppers too. They will be fried in olive oil and served on french bread or something.

Sunflower, I hope you are well enough to visit your son this year. Portland is quite nice. Don't know whether you've been there before or not....

Well I just chased a pack of four deer out of the back yard again. Why do I even bother? They are only coming for the windfall apples. I few months ago I chased a mountain lion out of the yard. I ran at it screaming and it trotted right off. Richard thinks I was insane; maybe i was. I just couldn't help myself.... All's well that ends well.

I want some potato soup (Diane & K) followed by Mikies spicy porky dish. Mikie, what cut of pork do you use to cook with? The last pork we bought was really rank tasting, so haven't had any since. My favourite cut to cook used to be the leg or shoulder with the skin (crackling) that we used to always have in England. It's hard to find pork roasts that still are whole these days. Yum!

Going to have a fruit salad for lunch after all this savoury talk.

Love and Happiness,
    Barry
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Barry. I used to hang flowers from my garden in the garage to dry. Then I would use them to make wreaths, hot glueing the flowers along with dried greens. I had so much fun. The herbs I've just washed good and laid them on brown bags to dry around the kitchen. What a mess though!

I met a lady at 99 cent store the other day, stocking up on green and red peppers. She told me she cut them up and froze them in bags, so that's what I did too. A time saver. All those tomatoes should cook down and make a nice, rich sauce and then freeze in batches.

Never been to Portland and I've felt so guilty about it. We've now got all our air fare and hotel reservations. I just pray that I won't be in a world of hurt when the time comes. I've got two nights reserved at a hotel on Cannon Beach. Apparently the big rock out there is very famous and I read there are even puffins, which I've never seen. I love water birds so will probably enjoy this.

No more chasing the mountain lions though!!!!!!!!
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Barry - I know what you mean about the pork with the crispy skin. Long ago when my FIL was living with us he used to buy and debone a pork roast and wrapped the skin around the hunk of meat and then score it and season before roasting. I cannot remember the name of the piece of meat . Might of been shoulder but not sure. That crispy skin was so yummy. All of the kids would fight over it besides us. I wish I could remember more about it but he was a great one to cut meat, debone and all that stuff. I did the cooking. His wife died early on with cancer so he waa with us.

No time to write some more. Have to call DS to ask him some computer questions.

Mikie - I hope you are feeling better. I know those UTI's are a real pain for sure. Even though you may not have physical pain in that area. I had more than enough pain when I used to have mine.. It is also awful just not to be able to get rid of something. Are you still running to the bathroom? I know how bad that is even if I still have to do that :)!!!

Diane - I see you have been busy with the games. Wish I had the time to do them right now. Hope to hear from you soon and that you are feeling better.

Sun - Yes, it is great to save money and prepare fixings for dishes you are going to fix later on. I am getting to lazy to do that. Lucky I can figure out what I am doing the day of dinner:)!! Getting so lazy .

Spring Water - Hope to hear form you soon.

Talk to you all later. Haven't had much time to post lately but read when I can.

Love,
    Granni :)
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang,

Barry, this time, I used a pork loin. I get the ones Hormel seals in a plastic tube. I like them because they cook nicely in my toaster oven. What I really like is the larger pork roasts that I cook in the over until the skin is crackly. I use one of those oven bags with a bit of flour which I coat the roast with. You can cook at a bit of a higher temp in those bags to make the skin crackly and the meat juicy. These kinds of pork are better to use for leftover dishes than the loin but that's what I happened to have. I also love to fry pork chops like my ex's grandmother taught me to cook. They brown up beautifully.

Sunflower Girl, I think it's wise to give up chasing mountain lions, especially before the trip. I hope you have a great time. The NW is one area of the country I've never been to. Well, I've never been to some others as well, but always wanted to visit the NW.

Granni, I no longer have pain when peeing. I'm still not emptying because I will go and within half an hour, I need to go again and the volumn is as large as the initial visit to the throne. Then, I will go hours before I need to go again. I mentioned more over on the Porch about this. I'm Herxing today so either the bacteria, or the virus, is dying off in large measure. Either way, I'm glad to be rid of whatever pathogen has been making me sick.

Was going to go to the bank and store today but decided not to do much of anything except rest. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  9. bct

bct Member

Ah Mikie, your pork dishes sound great to me. Pork with crackling skin. I want it, but I eat so little red meat now. But it sounds like a good Christmas dinner.....:). Granni, your dish sounds yummy and similar. What has happened to the good old days of fine cooking? TV dinners, that's what. I might eat them if they weren't half salt!

Sunflower, I still have more herbs to bring in, specifically thyme. I have some rosemary bushes and a sage plant that I use fresh, so they are easy. Cannon Beach : I've been there and I remember the giant rock, and I DID SEE PUFFINS! The only time I've ever seen them. So if you are a "birder" take along your light-weight field glasses if you have some.!

Tired, Love to all,
    Barry

I guess it's time for another volume of the Lounge. Any Takers?