New! - Low Level Laser Treatments For Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jhmitch, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Everyone!

After months of not being able to walk without a cane or rollator because of severe knee and leg pain, I went to a physical therapist who specializes in treating fibromyalgia patients.

The therapist did the usual examination, then explained that he was going to be using a low level laser treatment on my knees. After leaving the examination area, he returned, wheeling-in something that looked like an overhead projector. Both he and I put on goggles.

A red beam was focused on my knees. Much to my surprise, there was no heat (a fan blew cooling air on the areas being treated).

By then, I was pretty skeptical. Never had heard of this sort of treatment and didn't see how it could be doing anything if I couldn't feel it working. He then applied some stretchy tape to my knees and said I should come back later in the week.

After it was over, the therapist mentioned that I might not begin to feel the effects until a couple of treatments from now. When I got off the table to leave, (cynic that I am)I was amazed at being able to walk without much pain.

The ability to get around without my cane lasted throughout the night (though my knees are still arthritic - the intense pain associated with walking isn't there). I'm actually looking forward to my next treatment and the exercises he is going to have me do.

If this low level laser light treatment continues to be effective, I hope to be able to resume a semi-normal life in the near future.

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had these treatments. I think they are wonderful!

- Janice

2. Erinys

Erinys New Member

for different time zones
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Ed!

This might be exactly the sort of treatment that would benefit you, but, as you mentioned, it is a matter of finding out where you can receive LLLT and whether insurance covers it.

I think the biggest "plus" of this therapy is that I have far less stiffness in my legs than before. Supposedly, these treatments stimulate blood flow to the joints which increases the oxygen moving into the treated areas.

To tell you the truth, if someone had suggested LLLT, I would have seriously doubted that something as simple as a low level laser could reduce the stiffness in my legs (it used to feel like I was walking on painful concrete posts).

From reading up on this, I've learned some professional football teams use LLLT for their players' knees. With a torn meniscus, fibromyalgia, and arthritis, my knees sure feel like I've been playing professional football for years!

Sure hope that you can receive LLLT and benefit from it.

Best wishes!

Janice
  4. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

If I could find a P.T. around where I live who would do the laser treatments, I would be the first one in line.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. When I first was diagnosed, I went to see an ortopedic surgeon who told me right off that I needed surgery.

I went to see my chiropractor who does the laser treatments with just a small laser. I went once a week for a couple of months and also did physical therapy and read books where I learned exercises to do too.

I went back after 6 months to see the ortho doc and when he examined me, he told me whatever I'd been doing, to keep doing it. He was amazed. As long as I am careful now, my wrists dont bother me at all. I no longer need to have surgery.

Now all we need is to get the word out to more doctors and therapists about how benefical the laser treatements are.

Thank you for sharing your good results with us.
  5. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

its supposed to get rid of lyme. did for my sister in law.
    going friday to try it. $50 a treatment, I'll try anything
  6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi jsshutt!

I'm glad to hear you are going to give this process a try. Low level laser treatments helped me a great deal with leg pain for several years (until my knee arthritis reached a 'bone-on-bone' situation).

Though I've never heard of using the laser in connection with Lyme, it sounds like a logical application.

I'm trying to get my surgeon to consider low level laser light therapy for wound-healing (since I have an abdominal incision that won't heal) but he doesn't seem interested in investigating it. Oh well..

Best wishes for your Lyme treatments!

Janice
  7. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI, OUT THERE, SOMEONE TOLD ME ABOUT COLD LAZER AND IT REALLY WORKS. ALSO THEY TOLD ME TO GET A LITTLE LAZER LEVELER. WHICH I DID AT WALMART. ITS SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN MY HAND AND I TAKE IT TO BED WITH ME FOR MY HANDS AND OTHER PLACES. ITS THE KIND THAT CARPENTERS USE TO MAKE A STRAIGHT LINE. BUT IT WORKS. LEAVE IT IN ON PART OF THE JOINT FOR 2 MIN. THEN MOVE AROUND THE JOINT FOR 2 MIN. AT 3 OR 4 PLACES. BECAREFUL NOT TO SHINE IT IN YOUR EYES. THIS HELPS ME GET SOME SLEEP AND RELAX. DON'T GO TO SLEEP WITH IT ON BUT YOU CAN PUT IT ANY WHERE YOU ARE HURTING EXCEPT FOR THE EYES OFCOURSE. HOPE THIS HELPS. I ALSO USE ICE AT NITE IF NEEDED. HUGS, VERTIE