New Lyrica Ad offensive/misleading?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RitaF, Jun 17, 2009.

1. RitaF

RitaF Member

Hi, Yesterday I caught a new ad for Lyrica. I thought they said something like "Fibromyalgia is an illness with nerve problems." It reminded me of the old answer to the question "What is wrong with her? Oh it's just nerves!"

Did I hear wrong? Am I just being too sensitive? hmm Rita G

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

but I have seen the one where they are now saying that Lyrica causes thoughts of suicide and can make you commit suicide. Unreal. Maybe they want to kill us all off.
  3. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I saw it... at first I wasn't sure if we should be offended or not.
    However, it is a disease that affects our, I think they were using it as a description of some of the kind of things it helps.
    I know I suffer from many symptoms and nerve sensitivity is just one of the many.
    I haven't tried Lyrica, simply because I am tired of trying new meds and not having them work for me.
    As for the thoughts of suicide and such... almost any medication out there has that warning.....especially if it is something that works on the nerves or any other brain issue (like depression).
    If it helps someone feel better then it is worth it.
    I doubt they will ever come up with an ad for meds that will be satisfactory to all of us with FM. It's such a broad spectrum of symptoms, it's hard to relate it to everyone that has it.
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

As usual I am only speaking for myself and giving my opinion.

I am not offended but then I am rarely offended by commercials.

I have seen the one you are speaking of and it is speaking of actual nerve cells and not a mental condition.

As with any medicine - some types meds work for some people and some types of meds don't...

5. kjfms

kjfms Member

Every ad for Lyrica, as well as other medications, always state that it may not work for or may not be right for everyone.

The above statement is followed by something like - ask your physician or discuss it with you physician.

Again just my thoughts on this subject.

6. Doober

Doober New Member

knows what cause our FM?????

Caused by overactive nerves? If this were the case, I would have deploped FM the moment my kids began to talk and learned how to be fresh at the terrible 2's and 3's...............

The medical community does not know what causes this, but they do? They have over simplified a complex thing. Everyone is different and can have different causes and triggers.

That is why these forums are important as we learn a lot of information. We should always do our own research before we decide to take anything and not rely on those hand outs they give because we know they were all written and approved by the drug makers.

7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Are you speaking to me or the original poster?

When you reply to a person it sends an email, so when you replied to my post I wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

I did not say the makers of Lyrica claimed to know the cause of FMS.

However, they are not speaking of "nerves" by your definition.

8. frickly

frickly New Member

How can they market a medication that they claim will fix all your problems when we don't even know what FM is? I beleive this is the mentality of many people working on FM and CFS. They have decided to just totally skip finding the cause and went directly to the cure. This makes since considering finding a cause costs money, treating a disease makes money.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2009]
  9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

have to agree on the "nerve" definition of the commercial... it's not 'nerves' as in mental thing... it's the actual physical nerves they are talking about...

I have read where FM is thought to be caused by too much (substance P, I think it was called) which causes your brain to think there is pain in areas where there should be none. It makes your nerves think there is pain there..... for us, there really is pain....but under normal circumstances, there wouldn't be pain there.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Anyway, for their definition of nerves, I believe it is the actual physical nerve endings they are talking about, which is why some medications work for some people.
    I know that for myself, my nerve endings get so sensitive that my skin actually hurts to be touched. It has noting to do with things "getting on my nerves" in the mental, frustrating kind of way.
  10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

is like most drugs out there- it will work for a few, but certainly not all.

The problem lies in the fact that:
    1). If your Dr. decides you have FMS, he/she will prescribe Lyrica and from wht the drug reps have told them, that should 'cure' your little problem of the day.

2). If it doesn't work for you, they decide you are 'non-compliant', and then, honestly, what will work for you if this 'new drug for FMS' doesn't?

3). They haven't actually found out WHAT is causing your underlying problem that has you living suddenly with this pain. That to me is the biggie.

And look at the lady in the commercial- she is happily working away- for the love of God- it gave her back her life! If it doesn't work for you- then maybe your 'problem' is more mental that physical, or at least that can be an implication.

I am not sure how it is supposed to fix a problem that they don't have the question answered. It is just another western medicine band-aid.

But if the band-aid stops your 'bleeding'- then hooray! At least you won't have to contend with that.
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

what gets me is that the doctor who did the research to "prove" that lyrica works for FM admitted that he falsified the results....yet it is still being marketed as the main drug for is that even possible?!
  12. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I thought it was saying a central nerve problem not anxious nerves. I liked that it mentioned this.I always felt it was something coming from our brains or they way we percieve pain. RUthie
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Fibromyalgis manifests itself as a nervous system that is on overload. I say manifestation as we do not know if this the cause or the effect.

Maybe they should have said neurological condition? The consensus appears to suggest that FM is a neurological condition.

14. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Commercials often make it sound like a drug is a "cure-all" for whatever the condition is. I've heard that Lyrica is only for pain--nothing else. However, I've also heard that it can have a lot of serious side effects. I'm wondering if it makes my fatigue worse (I take it). My doctors (not my fibro doc) have advised against it because I'm so sleepy all the time.
  15. dannybex

dannybex Member are commercials for almost anything on television.

There's an old saying: "Advertising is legalized lying."

Just something to think about the next time you watch a commercial, especially for a drug, or for most food products advertised as "good for you", or any type of cosmetics, sunscreens, etc..

Out of the 6 or 7 people in my local support group who have tried lyrica, only one was able to stay on it. The rest all complained of severe brain fog and worsening fatigue.

Most drugs don't address the causes, which can be many (chemical, pesticides, mold, candida, heavy metals, etc..). They just suppress the symptoms, temporarily, until you have to take the next pill. That's what keeps the drug companies in business...

16. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm going off my Lyrica. Does anyone else have experience with Lyrica side effects?
  17. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I saw the same commerical for Lyrica. For me, after listening to it, I was very surprised that now they know the cause of Fibromyalgia....nerve problems.....I don't think so......"They" still don't know the cause of FM and Lyrica is not the cure for me it's the bandaid. Give us the real cause and then they can find the cure. Too many people have this syndrome/disease. And I'm very tired of being in pain for the last 45 years.
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I hate those commercials because since they have aired everyone has become on "expert" on fibromyalgia. I wish I had a nickel for every person who has said to me that they have a new "medicine out for my disease". They say it like OMG you are going to be cured if you take it! They don't get it they don't and those commercials don't help they make it look like if we pop a pill then we can host a picnic, run around the yard and play games and we are just grand.............ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

19. kjfms

kjfms Member

I guess I just do not "get it". If Lyrica work for some and not others what is the big deal?

I am not trying to be difficult - this is the case with all medications as well as supplements.

I would venture to say that for those people that have success with Lyrica - that they are indeed very happy. Who wouldn't be? Heck, I know I would be darn happy about it.

[This is just my own opinion and nothing else. Not intended for any source of arguments.]