New massage place opened near me..deep muscle good or not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Has deep muscle massage helped anyone? I would like to go but afraid I will do more harm.
    Carlcat
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

**THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!

Don't let them start with deep muscle massage - you have to build up to that..Start out slowly..I get massage for a neck problem (not related to my FM), and my massage therapist always told me she had to start out slowly..
    Maybe you will never get to the point of having the deep massage, you have to go slow and see what happens........
    Take Care..........Donna
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

I personally do not feel deep muscle massage is beneficial. I have began a very mild, sedative form of massage therapy which is just right for me. Last summer I engaged in regular deep muscle massage (just before FM dx), which completely incapacitated me. The pain was so unbearable for the first few weeks, although eventually it did get better.
    My current therapist is familiar with FM and my muscles feel very good after each session.

Just my opinion.
    2girls
  4. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Carlacat:
    I get massages about every two weeks, my one treat!!!!
    It helps so much to lubricate and stretch the muscles.
    I get a combination of deep muscle massage, and other types of massage, depending on my need.
    My masseuse is well acquainted with fms patients, and knows just how much pressure and just what type of massage is needed.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that the massage therapist must be knowledgable about fms and work with our painful areas and stiffness on an individual basis. Sometimes the deeper massage works great, other times I need light massage.
    Hope you find the type and the practitioner for you.
    sue
  5. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

I am going to a massage therapist especially designed for fibro. My chiropracter referred me to him and my appt is tommorow.$65.00 for 1 1/2 hr (not bad) and he does mapping? I'll let you all know how it goes. amy
  6. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

It feel good after they do it, but the next day or day after that you will probably reget it.

Try gentle massage this can have great benefits.
  7. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl New Member

Yes Mel I have to say I agree with You~!
    I live in Sydney Australia and have found a guy who does deep massage therapy... Myofascial.......
    I have only been once...going again this afternoon....and you wouldnt belive the difference in me in only one treatment.
    I can move better. I can sleep.Before I had insomnia....now I sleep right through the night.
    I still get my tired turns but I pace myself now.
    I have even gone back to work part time....all in a week.
    Its amazing.
    It hurts, I have to say, but no pain no gain is what I say.
  8. healing

healing New Member

I used to get deep tissue massage, did so for about 3 years. It hurt like crazy at the time. If I was lucky, I'd get hot packs (bliss!) afterwards. But I'd always be devastatingly sore for one to two days following. That gave me about 5 days of relief.

Now I get myofascial release treatments once a week. They are much gentler, but I'm nearly as sore -- only now instead of being in pain, I just feel like I've got a headache all over. Rarely get to have those hot packs afterwards, though.

I agree with Mel. It all depends on the therapist's experience and approach. Either treatment can work for you if you have a knowing and caring therapist. I do believe that massage therapy is extremely beneficial for those with chronic pain syndromes.
  9. anniegetyourgun

anniegetyourgun New Member

Carlacat:
    Have you tried lymphatic massage? It's much less painful than deep tissue work, and for me, the benefits are longer lasting. Good luck!
    Annie
  10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have a Friend who is a Massage Threaphist, and when I first started going to her, she did what I guess is called Swedish soft tissue with some accupressure in other area's. Depending on the type of Pain I was having.
    (sorry spelling sucks)

It's a matter of choice again of what works for some and what works for others. We have the same Syndromes, but we may have co=exisiting conditions that have to be taken in to consideration when having someone work on you.

I have SS, DDD, MPS, and FMS, so I get a variety of massages in different parts of my body. For Instance, my Feet, they love a gentle massage on the Toes, but I need a little harder massage on the instep, where I get tightropes of muscle pain and cramps.

Now there's a certain technique that is called "Rolfing", and my Friend did this on my stomach area, I have IBS, and I'm constapted ALOT! so she tried this method on me, and Boy did it Hurt, I pooped ok afterwards, but in the long run, it made my Intesines worse, they had Inflamation and there's a place called McBurney's Point, where the lower and upper intestines meet, and I got a Lump there that got Bigger and Bigger.

I went to a Internist because of the Pain I was having with IBS, and other problems. She felt the Lump and started me on all kinds of test's that only showed Inflamation of the Bowel. Thank God, truly, that it wasn't Cancer.

I also lost a lot of weight, it hurt to eat.

So we went back to the simple Soft Tissue Massage, which works best for me, it unties the knots, it relaxes my neck muscles, I have SS &DDD, so I can't have anyone pressing to hard in thoes area's.

My back, and Spine love a soft touch, but the Thigh's need more pressure, and yes it Hurts sometimes, but later it helps the muscle to release.

So Hopefully you'll get someone who is Knowledgeable about Massages and the Different types, and will try some to find what helps you the most. It's Your Body, and it should be able to feel good, a least during the Massage, sigh!

kredca4/sharon