new med approved for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sugarpeach, Mar 4, 2009.

1. sugarpeach

sugarpeach New Member

Hi all, I just got my newsletter from FM Awareness on line and there is an article in it that talks about a new FDA approved drug for FM. It is called Savella. it apparently works with seratonin etc. You can check it out on line just type in the name and it will com up. I was wondering if anyone else had heard about it. it sounds very promising. The best part is that is is the first drug that is being used to help manage FM, not a drug that is used for something else and may help people with FM like Lyrica.(UUUGGHH!!) Peace to all, xoxoxox Susan
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It is another SNRI...the SAME class of drug that Cymbalta is and the SAME class of drug that some of the other antidepressants are....saying that it was created for fibro is just a marketing may or may not be helpful for fibro, but it's really not as new as they want to make it sound....actually when you read the medication guide, it pretty much comes out and says this, and it gives a warning about it possibly causing suicidal ideation....i tried to copy it and paste it here, but it wouldn't let me
  3. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Since it's similar to Cymbalta, I would've tried it, save for one thing: the main side effect (most common) is vomiting/nausea, which is the one side effect that I would never, ever risk (aside from weight gain, which almost every antidepressant causes for me). Just one more medication where the risks outweigh the benefit for me :[.