New Med Do you take this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Mar 14, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Seen the neuro doc for the 1st time. He Rx: Topamax for preventive for migraines and ordered an EEG. Also Repa....something or another for breakthrough mmigraines.

Questions

* Has anyone had experience taking Topamax? Sucess? Side effects?

The doctor is starting me off slow, taking 1/2 a pill twice a day.

Thanks for your responses!

FroggyFog

2. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

just started Topomax & had EEG on monday to rule out seizures.

I don't know much about Topomax yet & so far, my headaches remain the same :(, but it's only been a week. But, on the lighter side, my nuero says this med appears to help a person lose weight, (good side effect, IMO).

I'll be watching for responses also. Thanks!
  3. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I'm a idiot...apparently my EEG is for a reason LOL

I first read that your were having your EEG on Monday not HAD your EEG

So do you have your results yet?

FroggyFog
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Ive been taking Topamax for Migraines for awhile now. When it was first approved for migraines my doc used to give me samples of it so I knew it worked. And I still havent gotten any migraines...just headaches from time to time that are easily controlled by any OTC pain reliever.

I am on 50 mg 2 times a day. My old doc says you have to go on it slowly cuz Topamax can easily become Dopamax. LOL.

I have no side effects besides decresed appetite and weight loss...(which is fine by me). But I have heard of some that say they are drowzy at first.

If you have anymore questions...just let me know. Ive been on and off of it (due to insurance) for many many years..and its one of the few drugs that I have stuck with.

Hugs,
    Steph
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  5. mary124

mary124 New Member

Been taking Topamax for about 2 years now. Only side effect is weight loss- almost 30 lbs. Headaches,dizziness gone now. I take 150mgs at night before bed time.
  6. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I was dizzy this morning for about a hour or so after I first got up. Did either of you have this side effect?

I'm ready for the weight lose side effect LOL

Thanks for your responses!

FroggyFog