New Meds to Try??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinkgirl, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

I am FINALLY getting to see a new dr. at the pain clinic here, but I have to go through a psychiatric and chemical dependency evaluation, because I have been on narcotic pain meds for almost 4 years, plus a full physical and all of the testing that goes along with it, AGAIN... I swear I am going to glow in the dark after all of these tests!!

Anyway, they told me right off the bat that they are not allowing me to continue my treatment plan (I was approved by 3 drs as a long term narcotics patient, along with my other meds to keep the pain under control (haha)) and will no longer be allowed to be prescribed pain meds PERIOD.

I have not had a symptom/pain-free day in over 2 years, and I am a mother of two and a full-time college student. Before we found a combination of meds that worked there were days I couldn't get out of bed at all, let alone do anything. I guess I am just scared of going back to that and losing everything I've worked so hard for... Even with the pain meds I still have days where I cannot dress myself, and now that it's cold it's soooooo much worse!

I was wondering if anyone else was on narcotics long term and stopped taking them, and what worked for the pain? Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks and hugs!
    Love
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I'm so sorry this is happening to you of all people, but I have a friend who also had been going to a pain clinic and they also were now having to stop her meds due to prescibing pain medications to fibro patients. I don't know if it has anything to do with "us" as patients or the dea coming down on them. But it did leave my friend "out in the cold" so to say, without anything for relief from her pain.

She was given a small amount of vicodin to get her through her withdrawals for a month though. Big deal huh? But then she was left having to go to another pain clinic 300 miles away to get help again from other Dr's, which was a blessing for her!!!

May I ask, if they are going to do all these evaluations on you, why bother if they don't plan on doing anything for your pain? If you have three other Dr's saying you need long term treatment for your pain, then can they do something to help you at all?/!! I know my own family Dr. is the one who helps and maintains my scripts for everything, along with any adjustments if needed. Could you get help from your family Dr.? It just doesn't seem fair at all to me and I feel for you!!!

I know there are many other options available, but if you do need pain medications, its up to the AMA to do no harm!! They can't just cut you off without something to help you cope through withdrawals, and everyone would go through them if we stopped using these strong meds after such a long time. I've been on them myself for years now after a bad car accident, and I know I would have problems going off of them that quickly!!

Good luck my dear, and I hope you can find some help somewhere other than that pain clinic.
    I wish you all the luck and I'll pray you can get the help you need and relief from your pain!
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  3. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

Sadly enough I have a TENS unit, but my pain is so widespread and I'm so busy most of the time that it really doesn't help too much, when certain areas are bad I'll use it almost 24 hours a day, but otherwise I'm outta luck.

I have tried soooo many meds and had bad reactions to them the dr's must think I'm lying, but I don't see much good in having slight pain relief if I'm throwing up... That's why I've been on narcotics so long, and they figured it would be long term, my dr (who is retiring and no longer seeing his FM patients) felt it would be better to do something that would manage my pain for sure instead of doing god only knows what to my body by switching meds constantly.

My new family dr isn't "comfortable" managing my FM, my previous one was fine with rxing my meds, and most drs around here do not like taking chronically ill patients let alone ones who are on narcotics. It's like they're more worried about people becoming addicts than they are about people suffering...

I have to retake all of these tests because they're re-evaluating my case to see if the dr's before were "jumping the gun" WELL I FEEL WORSE THAN I DID TWO YEARS AGO!!! Ahhhh, sometimes it helps just to scream a little :D

prickles - yes I had pink hair, but I had to be "serious" at my new school and stop dyeing it... I miss it soooooooooo much!!!! I am really thinking about going back to pink, my natural hair color is boring brown, and as crappy as I feel I should have SOMETHING to cheer me up!!!

Uh-oh, going to be late for class!
    Hugs!
    Love
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

many who take the opiods just jumped in and started with them. Most of us started out with ANY and EVERY thing else that might bring our severe chronic pain under control. I know I did, from Accupuncture to every herb and supplement recommended, with little to NO relief. My life was NO life, just a blur of constant pain.

I tried even things that were contraindicated for me, the anti seizure meds that you should not take if you had childhood seizures. I tried all the antidepressants and the newer ones that treat dopamine and etc etc etc..

I took brief periods of Tylenol 3 and a worthless (for me) muscle relaxer, always given at one a day which lasted (the Tylenol 3) for "maybe" 3 to 4 hours before my pain became totally severe. That left 20 hours a day of the agony..and I was allergic to the main ingredient in the Tylenol 3, I know the name of it but can't recall it this morning. Made me feel like I was walking a foot off the floor, but it did take the edge off of the less severe pain I was having then.

Then it was a long term use of NSAIDS which started a stomach ulcer and blood in the stool..followed by six,
    SIX, years of Pepcid and other meds to recover to where I could eat a piece of toast without severe stomach pain.

Tramadol was a joke for me, might as well have rubbed an aspirin on my forehead for a headache. I was allergic to any sulfa drugs and the
    patches made me violently nauseated.

After about three years of trying things, adjusting pain meds, the right muscle relaxer and careful addition of just a few supplements..I have not had to change my meds since
    2003. It would take my doctor dying and noone to replace him to ever make me change the regime I am on now. It would mean going back to feeling hopeless, helpless and suicidal. It was a horrible place to be before!

I hope you can find a doctor that will carry on your normal meds and if not I will PRAY that this new place will work for YOU!!! Bless you and
    all my best! Bambi
  5. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

Bambi,
    I know how you feel! I have tried almost everything under the sun, and have had bad reactions to most of them!

I am allergic to NSAIDS, I have the same problem, ulcers and not only bloody stool, but I have vomitted blood also...

I have tried suppliments, antidepressants, "muscle relaxers" (which I don't understand taking since muscle tenseness is an yet another symptom of our problem, not the cause...) and most of the newer meds that are supposed to help FM... I've also gone as far as to try the really old tricylic antidepressents whose side effects might help me *sigh*

It's not that I want to stay on narcotics, I know what they're doing to my body, but I just don't want to go back to the pain! Hopefully my new dr will be understanding and will actually listen to me, but my past experiences have been that very few drs are willing to....

Hugs,
    Love