New Meds?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annie06, May 18, 2003.

1. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

My Dr. has put me on a new med. for my DD and so far it is doing not a darn thing...... it is Topiramate 25mg.Has anyone heard of this drug?? I have done a search on this, but all I have come up with is.... a seizure drug!!!Which they apparently use for a pain blocker..... It is one of these drugs like Neurontin that you have to take slowly. so far I am only taking 2 pills twice a day..... and you know what that does.????? I am beside myself here, in pain don't know where to go next.... on top of all this the Dr. I had has retired after 25yrs.!!! Now I have to train a new one!! That is no easy task! I am still waiting to get in for facet injections..... a waiting game here in Canada...Would love to hear from anyone on this medication or any other ideas....thanks! and a pain free day to everyone!

Annie
  2. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

I am taking topiramte for chronic back pain (degenerative disc desease)the pain is know going in my legs. I had surgery about 18yrs. ago. They removed 2 discs. I am in more pain now then I was then..... figure that one out!!!! Yes, I am taking the meds slowly..... so far they are not doing too much..... the losing weight would be great too!!! we can always afford that eh??!!!! It's getting to the point now that it hurts to move left or right (to turn around) so simple things... I feel like I am going backwards.... Today is a bad day again... .like a crying day... you know... thanks for listening, Take care!

Annie
  3. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

Thanks for listening Betsy! today I am getting on the phone and my Dr. will be getting an earfull.... it's been a very loooong weekend..... if you know what I mean. I hope that you are feeling somewaht better yourselve. Take care!

Annie
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

These take a bit of time to get to therapeutic levels, I believe. You may want to give it some more time. The anti-seizure drugs are of great value to these disorders. I would continue with it.

If I were in your shoes, I would continue with this treatment regime, and ask your doctor for ultram if your pain is mild to moderate (on less severe days), or an opiod if it is more severe, such as vicodin. If your mainstay is ultram they will usually provide vicodin for breakthrough.

Best wishes, LL