New member with a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kar, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Kar

Kar New Member

Been lurking - good board!

I was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago with FM. It has been worse this year than others, which my support group leader theorizes is because of all the fires and chemicals used over the past year to further mess up the environment.

Anywhoo - my question! Does anyone take a diuretic that does not cause your muscles to ache? I have alot of problems with my ears. The ENT finally found something that works, Triam/HCTZ 37.5, but one pill and my muscles hurt like heck. I tried adding magnesium and potasium, but I'm still a mess. I walk such a delicate balance to begin with, and she is just so happy she found something that works for my ears (she doesn't believe in FM - what a surprise), that she isn't changing the med. I would like to suggest another diuretic to try, and hope someone has a suggestion.

Kar
  2. Kar

Kar New Member

Been lurking - good board!

I was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago with FM. It has been worse this year than others, which my support group leader theorizes is because of all the fires and chemicals used over the past year to further mess up the environment.

Anywhoo - my question! Does anyone take a diuretic that does not cause your muscles to ache? I have alot of problems with my ears. The ENT finally found something that works, Triam/HCTZ 37.5, but one pill and my muscles hurt like heck. I tried adding magnesium and potasium, but I'm still a mess. I walk such a delicate balance to begin with, and she is just so happy she found something that works for my ears (she doesn't believe in FM - what a surprise), that she isn't changing the med. I would like to suggest another diuretic to try, and hope someone has a suggestion.

Kar
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I just wanted to welcome you! I'm sorry to say I'm so stupid I don't know what the relationship is between taking a diuretic---and EARS!! I've had a load of sinus problems over the years & seen many ENTs for that, but I guess I've never had the ear problems, so I don't know about the diuretic part. Anyway, I'm hoping some others here DO know & can help you!

Welcome to you, though, & hope you like it here! I totally agree with the theory that all these illnesses (and MS, Parkinson's, etc.) are on a huge rise lately due to environmental toxins...

Take care,
    Pam
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i don't have any information on this, but welcome to this board. you'll find many friends here, especially during rough times!

warm regards, fibolady
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Kar, just stopped to welcome you to the board. I can't help either.

I am sure someone here can relate to your problem, just have a little patience with us!

Again, welcome and I do hope you fine a solution to your problem soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

I don't have any advice, so i wll just say hi, and welcome to the board.

stephanie
  7. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Welcome Kar, I take the same durtic but for fluids I guess maybe you get fluids in you inner ear and she is tring to dry them out? I would get another dr though if she thinks fibro isnt true your in for trouble if you need help with it.By the way my dr didnt know about fibro but hes learning so he can help me,but i live in a small town,so not many dr.God Bless LindaGa
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

is like the last poster stated, buildup of fluids, have you tried skipping the diuretic & drinking a ton of water? The fluid buildup is (in my opinion & experience) actually due to the body wanting to hang on to the water it has in an attempt to fix a lack of water problem, I have always just drank lots of water to flush the excess water out. It does work, sounds weird I know.
    Anyway I am guessing you do not drink enough plain water, is that the case? Some people drink coffee then pop all day for thirst which makes the situation worse.
    You should also look up the aspartame posts here if you are new, it is a very real problem and if you drink diet pops a lot you really should just switch.
    Keep us informed on what works & take care & welcome, this is a great place.

Jaci
  9. Kar

Kar New Member

The ENT's solution to the muscle aches, was to take the diuretic only when I needed it, for the blocked ears (which she thinks is early Meneires Disease), but I can't find a pattern as to what causes the ears to go haywire. Sometimes everything I say, or hear, is an echo! What a challenge that is! I think maybe nerve endings.

Jaci - I am trying to increase the water I drink (gave up soda several years ago). I do well during the week because I sit at a desk and am always drinking water. On the weekends I could do better tho - I'm always too busy doing other things to catch up and don't have as much time to manage water coming in and going out!

LindaGa - I have a primary dr. that I'm teaching about Fibro (even bought him the book by Dr. Stanyl) and he would prescribe a different diruetic if I could find one to suggest.

Happy Friday to all!

[ advertisement ]