Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by carolacash, Apr 7, 2004.

1. carolacash

carolacash New Member

This is my first time using a message board. I am caring for my 80 year old father who is in the 6th stage of Alzheimers, as I understand it. I have been reading somje of the 'posts' and think that I may find this site both comforting and informative. I am single and have taken a leave of absence from my job to be able to care for my dad.
    Although he was diagnosed only a year ago, it was clear that he was experiencing cognitive deficits. We just couldn't get him to see a neurologist. He refused to acknowledge anything was wrong and we haven't even discussed his diagnosis. However, he now accepts help gracefully. I found this site while searching for info on nemanda, which my father started 1 1/2 weeks ago. From some of the posts, I feel concerned about the possible adverse effects. I have noticed that his ability to speak has declined sharply. I guess about 6 days into the first week on nemanda, both he and I noticed the difficulty he was having putting his thoughts into words. I don't know if the nemanda has anything to do with this and it looks like nobody really knows. Will be ever alert for any changes. But how does know if it is related to the namenda or the course of the illness? thanks for any input.
  2. MaryKathryn

MaryKathryn New Member

Dear Carol,

Please come to visit us at the Alzheimer Message Board. There so many compassionate and knowledgeable people willing to become your new friend during your difficult time.

I just became a member in March 04 and have found them to be the best support group I could have wished for.
    Also, we become support for each other.

Wish you all the best and please come to visit.