Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lynncw, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Lynncw

Lynncw New Member

Hi everyone. I am so glad to find a place with real people experiencing the same symptoms as me! I am a 46 year old woman.I don't have a Dx yet but I am sure that I suffer from CFS and most probably FM. I also am sure that I have systemic yeast overgrowth from years of antibiotic use for sinus infections.

I have had symptoms for many years, but they have gotten expecially bad recently. I've had to quit my full-time job. I didn't work for a while, felt guilty, and am working part-time for now. When the school year ends in June, unless I feel better, I will not go back in September. My husband of 5 years is sympathetic but I'm sure that he thinks that I am crazy.

My most troubling complaints are incredible fatigue (not much stage four sleep, I can tell as I dream, stage 2, all night), and pain all over. I have been seeing a chiropractor for eight years for neck and shoulder pain. I also have the tailbone pain that I read about here! I have many other ailments: sinus problems, IBS, etc. that I've learned to live with. I cannot learn to live with the pain and fatigue.

A question I have, I do not know who to see to diagnose me. I have been to so many Drs. over the years for the many symptoms and not one put it all together. I went to a new Gyn for my annual last week and described my symptoms. She told me to get up an hour early in the morning and exercise! I almost laughed out loud! I have to shower in the evening, get my lunch ready and set out my clothes because I am so out of it in the morning I can barely function! I realized right then that there was no point in discussing it further with her.Does anyone know of a Dr. in the upstate NY: Albany, or Saratoga area? I saw mention of a doctor list on this page but, I don't know if it's brain fog or what, I can't find it.

Any help is appreciated and again I am so glad to have found all of you!!

Lynn
  2. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

Call around and see if you can find a rheumatologist who treats FM. Visit the FM websites and get a list of symptoms and check off the ones you have and take that with you. I took a 6 page letter with my complete history, exams, exasperating doctors visits, and the like to the rheumatologist to give him some background. He examined me and told me exactly what it was (BY THIS TIME, 15 YEARS, I ALREADY KNEW WHAT IT WAS!!!)
  3. LEWIS582

LEWIS582 New Member

I'M 33 YRS YOUNG, ALTHOUGH I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. I HAVE COME TO THE SIGHT IN SEARCH OF INDIVIDUALS LIKE ME. I HAVE HAD THIS MONSTER IN MY SOUL AND LIFE FOR 5 LONG YEARS AND I AM TRIED. I FIRST NOTICE THAT I WAS TRIED ALL THE TIME AND I COULDN'T KICK MYSELF STARTED. I WENT TO MY DOCTER(FAMILY MEDICAL) AND HE TOLD ME TO RUN OUT AN GET THE BOOK* SURVIVING FIBROMYALGIA* I DID. HE TOLD ME THAT I HAD THIS AND THAT THERE WAS NO CURE AND I NEED TO TAKE THESE MEDS. EVAIL-MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT, WYGESIC- NOTHING BUT A ASPRIN- DIDN'T CONTROL THE PAIN.
    SO, MY HUSBAND TOOK ME TO ANOTHER DR. SHE- GAVE ME LORCET- MADE ME ITCH AND PAXIL- DIDN'T FEEL MOODY.
    THEN, I WENT TO A PAIN CLINIC, WHERE I WAS GIVEN LORTAB- MADE ME SICK-AND VALIUM- MADE ME TO HIGH.
    WELL, I'M BEGINING TO GET TRIED OF DOCTER TEELING ME THAT THIS DISORDER IS ALL IN MY HEAD, SO I CHECK MYSELF IN A BEHAVIOR UNIT, TO RULE OUT ANY MENTAL BEHAVIORS, THAT I DIDN'T HAVE, BUT THE PAIN WAS UNBEARABLE.I WAN'T TO MAKE SURE IT WAS'NT IN MY HEAD.
    2 WEEKS, THERE I BEGAN TO UINDERSTAND THAT I WASN'T CRAZY, THE DOCTER WERE.
    COMING HOME, MY HUSBAND TRIED FROM THE LATE NIGHTS- HOLDING ME WHILE I CRY AND SUFFER IN PAIN.HE LEFT ME AND ALTHOUGH WE ARE FRIENDS, BECAUSE OF OUR SON, THE STRESS WAS HARD.
    I DECIDE THAT I NEED TO TALK TO SOME ONE WHO WAS EDUCATED IN THIS FEILD.
    2000 WAS WHEN I WAS DX AGAIN AND THIS TIME I WAS GOING TO WIN!
    I DON'T EAT SUGARS, THEY MAKE ME HURT MORE- I AM TAKING NOW
    XANAX FOR REST- THE BETTER YOU SLEEP THE BETTER YOUR FEEL, TREAT THE SLEEP FIRST.FOR PAIN DARVON , TODAY I AM OKAY, BUT I HAVE BAD DAYS AND WHEN I DO , I ALLOW MY SELF TIME TO CRY AND LAUGH AND THANK GOD FOR MY BAD DAYS, BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE IN WORSE CONDTIONS.
    NICOLE
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome!! I'm glad you found us too!!I am 39 yrs old and have had this fun stuff for 10 yrs now~ You should definitly see a Rhuematologist,so they can check for certain trigger points and tenderness. Oh how I hate it when people/Drs say you need to exersize!!!yeah right I can barely get outta bed and you want me on the floor doing sit-ups!! Like exersize is gonna make all this go away?? Believe me, I tend to 3 kids and keep up a home and thats hard in itself.I certainly don't lay on the couch all day eating cracker jax!! By the way...I'm a upstate NY er!! For quite a few yrs I was seeing a great Dr for FM in Syracuse.But he retired....so now I see one in Oneida.(a Rhuematologist). I hope you get some answers soon on your health issues~Let me know if you'd want the name of my dr or any nearby. I honestly have'nt checked around too much for others....but I can look in this areas yellow pages!!!(while i'm laying on the couch of course!!LOL)
    Glad to hear from you~
    Best regards,
    Tracey
  5. barelynuts

barelynuts New Member

I'm 52yr old female & have had chronic fatigue symptoms for 4 yrs now. I went to a zillion docs & all kinds of tests from cardiologist to neurologist, but no diagnosis. I barely got off the couch for a year, much less able to work. I developed this after an inner ear virus & have read that this a post viral syndrome. My sister also had the same symptoms; she told me about an experimental supplement that was mentioned on the news (ENADA) & I went to the General Nutrition Center & got it. Within a week I could think, the brain fog was gone. I did some research on the internet about supplements & am now taking ENADA 5mg & L-Carnitine 250mg a day & am able to work 30-35 hrs a week now. After starting the ENADA it took me about 3 months before able to go back to work & then another 3 months to be able to be at the pace I'm at today. I still have days where I'm fatigued, but I'm thankful I was able to go back to work again. Good Luck to you in finding some help. Gayle
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us. We really live in a world of our own, and not of our making either!

I have most of what you describled, except that I don't get the fatigue as often.

You need to deal with that sleep issue first(of course that is my opinion, and that is what helped me the most), thats what got me on a more or less road to recovery. I had been the worlds worst Nighthawk, since I have that under control the pain, fatigue, sinus, morning fog etc. have improved 80% now. I do get a fall back sometimes, but not like I was before.

This is what I take for sleep;

6pm low dose Xanax (for racing brain syndrome)

10pm 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and B-6) This is for deep sleep, I now sleep 7-8 hours a night without waking, and if I do wake, I go right back to sleep, as opposed to waking every hour on the hour before taking ZMA. It also helps with the pain of Fibro.

Before bed, 1 3milligram of Melatonin; The melatonin helps me to fall asleep, the ZMA keeps me in a deep restful sleep.

This is the only thing that has worked for me in a lifetime of taking half the sleeping meds on the market, prescription as well as OTC's . None of them worked for long.

I personally know one member here from upstate New York, her name is DeeMerrk , she will be glad to help you find a doctor when she is on the board.

I am sure your husband does not think you are crazy, took mine awhile to at least understand what I was living with too. No one can understand the pain unless they also have experienced it.

I always tell people if you want to know how Fibro pain feels, just think if you ever had a 'charley horse'(spasms), and a severe absessed tooth all going on at the same time. Then you have an idea what the pain of Fibro is like!

I hope you are feeling better soon, and am truly glad you have decided to join us here. Lots of information, good generous people, many are well informed, plus the information that is available on the Home, Library and Community boards are indispensable.

Again, welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Shalom, Shirl

7. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Lynn---

Welcome!! I was just recently diagnosed with FMS and am new to this site too. The folks are great and you will learn alot of information here.
    I am 43 and just lost my long time job because of this. I had surgery in Sept. on my knee and after that I became like a cripple. At first they thought it was a disc pressing on a nerve, but the MRI came back negative. Then the ortho sent me to a neurologist who did 3 MRI's on my spine /brain and tests for carpal tunnel. He knew what I had but couldn't diagnosis me because it was out of his "relm" so he referred me to a rheumotologist. There is no way I could return to work, I suffer everyday and then I get flare ups which seem to strike whenever. It's really hard because I have a daughter, 8, who doesn't understand and constantly loves to push your buttons. She is used to being catered to.
    Well good luck and welcome!!!
    Feel good,
    Lin
  8. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Lynn---

Welcome!! I was just recently diagnosed with FMS and am new to this site too. The folks are great and you will learn alot of information here.
    I am 43 and just lost my long time job because of this. I had surgery in Sept. on my knee and after that I became like a cripple. At first they thought it was a disc pressing on a nerve, but the MRI came back negative. Then the ortho sent me to a neurologist who did 3 MRI's on my spine /brain and tests for carpal tunnel. He knew what I had but couldn't diagnosis me because it was out of his "relm" so he referred me to a rheumotologist. There is no way I could return to work, I suffer everyday and then I get flare ups which seem to strike whenever. It's really hard because I have a daughter, 8, who doesn't understand and constantly loves to push your buttons. She is used to being catered to.
    Well good luck and welcome!!!
    Feel good,
    Lin
  9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Welcome! Doesn't SUNY have a teaching hospital in Albany? I would think you could call them and find out who "does" fibromyalgia in your area. At the very least, I would think they have a rheumatology clinic affilliated with one or more of the hospitals there. Whoever you find to treat you, be prepared to continue educating yourself. This board is a fantastic source of information. Hope things work out well for you. Let us know what kind of luck you have.
    Kathryn
  10. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

This site is a God send and you'll learn so much here that it'll be hard to remember it all at first. Everyone here is so caring and concerned w/each other. I'm 46, to and was just dx'd w/CFS in November. I have most all of your symptoms and more (you can read my bio)...so I can really sympathize with you. I haven't been able to work in over 6 years. I watched 3 of my grandchildren for the first year of their lives during that time, but can't do that anymore...not enough energy. I have another grandbaby due in August and would give anything to be able to take care of it, but I'm not planning on it. I don't "plan" a whole lot in advance...just take it one day at a time. I hope you find out all the info you need here and if you don't, just ask...someone here will guide you.

Good luck in your search.

1Writer