New MRI study shows Fibro Brain abnormality

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

It is going to become as clear to others as it is to us, have faith my Fibro friends!!

This study, done in France, in their underpants, shows that Fibro brains have increased blood flow to the area of the brain where pain is processed. HA!! I KNEW it. Well, I knew there was something wrong. I think it is a case of where being exposed to a lot of pain causes the paon system to go into high gear and cause more and more pain, as in trying to protect us from something but it is all a mistake. Maybe I better leave the explaining to others...

Here is the link to the article online, reporting the study results-
    http://www.cbc.ca/cp/HealthScout/081104/6110419AU.html

Quotes from the study [in the article, which I picked out - more in the article!] -

"...the researchers performed brain imaging called single photon emission computed tomography, or SPECT.

"The imaging showed that women with the syndrome had "brain perfusion" - or blood flow abnormalities - compared to the healthy women. The researchers then found that these abnormalities were directly correlated with the severity of disease symptoms.

"An increase in blood flow was found in the brain region known to discriminate pain intensity, the researchers found.

"Guedj and his team had found functional abnormalities in areas of the brain of fibromyalgia patients. The latest study goes a step further, demonstrating that the brain abnormalities are correlated with disease severity, he said.

" ... the new study provides "further evidence of an objective difference between patients with fibromyalgia and those who don't have the disorder."

------------------------------------

THAT article had a link to the "NFA" in California, which mentions "sensory processing" and brain abnormalities [quotes below] -
    http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer?pagenamemedia-factSheets

quotes:
    "Most researchers agree that Fibromyalgia is a disorder of central processing with neuroendocrine/neurotransmitter dysregulation. The Fibromyalgia patient experiences pain amplification due to abnormal sensory processing in the central nervous system. An increasing number of scientific studies now show multiple physiological abnormalities in the Fibromyalgia patient, including: increased levels of substance P in the spinal cord, low levels of blood flow to the thalamus region of the brain, HPA axis hypofunction, low levels of serotonin and tryptophan and abnormalities in cytokine function.

"Recent studies show that genetic factors may predispose individuals to a genetic susceptibility to Fibromyalgia. For some, the onset of Fibromyalgia is slow; however, in a large percentage of patients the onset is triggered by an illness or injury that causes trauma to the body. These events may act to incite an undetected physiological problem already present.

"Ongoing research will test the hypothesis that Fibromyalgia is caused by an interpretative defect in the central nervous system that brings about abnormal pain perception.

------------------------------