New muscle spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nayray, Jun 16, 2003.

1. nayray

nayray New Member

I was diagnosed with CFIDS back in January but in March I went to the ER with chest pain and the chest x-ray and subsequent CT scan revealed a mediastinal mass. Upon biopsy, it was diagnosed as a benign thymoma. I've been doing ok post op but I have this very annoying new symptom....lots of little muscle spasms. Back of my calves, bottom of thighs, forearm, bicep, hand, and toes. It doesn't hurt. It almost feels like a palpitation of my muscle if there is such a thing. I'm 31 and my thoracic surgeon suggested that since I've had a number of neuro symptoms over the last 2 years that I see another neurologist to rule out myesthenia gravis. I saw the neuro, who specializes in MG a couple of weeks ago. He did a full workup and ordered the antibody testing for MG. (acetylcholine receptor and antismooth muscle test)My family doctor also ordered a lupus profile. Everything is negative. Both of the MRI's I have had over the last few years were negative as well. Does anyone else have these strange spasms? Does anything help to stop them?

Renee'
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Renee

I get lots of those and they've been coming and going for years. They have been documented as being a part of CFS, not all patients experience them.

As you said they're not painful just an odd experience.

Cheers

Tansy
  3. nayray

nayray New Member

I guess I'm just so afraid that something else might be....hiding inside me like the thymoma was. I never would have found it if I hadn't been having chest pain that night.....and the pain turned out to be completely unrelated. From what I've read, thymomas are common in autoimmune diseases, particulary myasthenia gravis which I appear not to have. I'm thankful for that but it seems like whenever I start to feel comfortable that I'm on the right track, like when I got my cfids diagnosis, I get another curve ball thrown at me. It's like I'm almost afraid to accept that I might not have some disease that's going to kill me or cripple me....ugh, I'm so pathetic.
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

what a coincidence, never even heard of a thymoma til i had the same thing,surgery was 5/12. i feel alot more "spasms" of legs and also the muscle surrounding where the chest tube was, hurts to take a deep breath, glad your mg test was normal, so was mine. there must be some clue with the autoimmune aspect that Someone can help us. Oddly, i felt wonderful in the hospital for about 5 days, no fibro symptoms! Thought it could have been the mag. iv i got post op, how about you? well, nice meeting you, hope getting the thymus gland out helps you. (i have only got worse,hope you have better luck) laurie
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

I get spasms just about everywhere but mainly my back, shoulders and arms. Walking & stretching seem to help a little. I will be seeing an immunologist in July.

2girls
  6. nayray

nayray New Member

Did you have it "open" or cervical? I'm just curious. The thoracic surgeon that did my biopsy wants to do another CT and watch it---then potentially remove it. If he does the surgery, it'll be open. Another very talented thoracic surgeon in my area specializes in the thymous and he does the surgeory without dividing the sternum so I'm going to consult with him just to explore my options. Did the neurologist that tested you for MG indicate that this could be some other form of muscular dystrophy? Mine did not but I'm still worried. (big surprise)!
  7. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

sorry it took awhile to get back--haven't been able to get on line with 2 teens home from school now! I had my by a "VATS" procedure, which is like laparascopic surgery, all done thru 4 tiny holes on the side, between armpit and breast area. Really was not bad, had an epidural drip of fentanyl that numbed the chest area while the chest tube was in. I was afraid to have fentanyl because i had a big time withdrawal from a duragesic patch in feb., but this was no problem because it was all contained in the epidural space. feel free to email me if you need to talk about it, in profile. i won't be around til 6/30--getting away from it all in nags head. Doc could have watched it but was an insurance problem and needed it done by the end of may. I'll bet if everyone on this board had there chest CT scanned, 75% would have thymic hyperplasia! no one has mentioned other work ups, but i feel something is sooooo wrong-would like to rule out ms but they all think i'm nuts! bye for now--laurie
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also get muscle spasms, but mine hurt terrible. Mine are like '2girls' they are in my back, shoulders and arms, sometimes my hands.

But I have not had them too bad in the last year. I take Pro Energy (malic acid and magnesium glycinate), and also ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) (the ZMA for sleep, pain, and energy too) Both products can be purchased here at Pro Health.

Most people with FM/CFS are deficient in magnesium, so you might want to have your magnesium levels checked.

Magnesium is necessary for at least 80 different parts of the body, from the brain, muscles, heart, liver, plus its a natural tranquilizer.

Hope you find what is causing yours........

Shalom, Shirl