new name for MCS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Jan 21, 2007.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Chronic Poisoning!!!!!!!!!
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Cause that's what it is. And if your doctor knew to check the Livers' P450 Phase I and II detox pathways, they would see that there are deficiencies there.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I was using humor. Funny peculiar, not funny ha ha.
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Thanks. When I read this post last night I had one of those "light bulb" moments. Let me explain.

In the beginning of November a friend and I took a very short trip together. I knew I'd flare afterward, but it was only a 2 night, 3 day thing; I feel extremely comfortable with her and I knew that even if I crashed while we were away it would be okay.

Oddly enough, I haven't been well since that time. All along I've been blaming it on the busy-ness of the past few months.

There was my trip, Thanksgiving, my dd and her family came up for 10 day in the beginning of December, then Christmas (unusually busy for me this year), even had company over the New Year and afterward.

Something else happened in the beginning of November though. My 29 yr old son moved back home with us. He's been very good about not wearing colonge in the house b/c he knows it bothers me, but just about everything he uses has a scent of some sort or the other.

Yesterday he took the day off from work and was downstairs with us all day. After a few hours I had to go to my room to crash. Weak, nausea, killer headache, etc....

After I read your post I started putting things together. Duh! I can't even go upstairs to use that bathroom anymore b/c of the soap he buys ~ the scent makes me very ill.

All along I've been blaming my declined health on the trip and extra activities. Now I'm quite convinced that all the products he uses containing this or that scent may be the main culprit. At least I hope so; it will not be much of a problem to get rid of the offending products. If my ill health is not due to "stealth" MCS I'm in worse shape than I thought.

I haven't said anything to him about it before, b/c... well, I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of complaining about everything in my life, you know? Guess I should have said something.

Thanks again for your post, I'm betting you've helped me a lot.

mar
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Is this also Multiple Smell Sensitivity? I can't stand smells! They make me ill. I used to smoke a little but now I can't be in the same room with it or near anyone outside with it, either.

And Tony and Victoria thought I was nuts, complaining about some "cologne" smell every once in awhile when I'm lying in bed. Finally, one day Victoria smelled it, on some guy walking by the house! If someone stinks or has bad breath, I have to get away. I can't even cuddle with my dogs, anymore. It's a good thing cats don't have bad breath.

Bad breath is bad enough but the chemical smells make me feel sick until I get away.

karen
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

For 30 years or so I'd get nauseaus for what I thought was no apparent reason. Now I know why. Do you have air purifiers in your home? They're a life saver for me. I'm also gonna' try and put carbon filters over my heating vents. I'll probably have more energy if I do!!!!!!!!!
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Do air purifiers really help with the scents? My son actually does have two of them, but they're in storage right now along with all his furniture, etc. He's just here short term until he saves enough $$$ for a down payment on a house.

If they help that would help things a lot, especially since he's already purchased them.

I ran my theory past my dh ~ he doesn't think it's the MCS, he just thinks that I've gotten a lot worse with the FM/CFS/MPS/OA, etc etc etc ~ I also ran it past my best friend and she had the same sort of "light bulb" moment that I did. I tend to agree w/her.

If you do have the air purifier, could you share your experiences with me? Thanks.

mar
  8. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

MCS = chronic poisoning - you're probably right.

My kids are now in their 30's and when they were teenagers all scented products of theirs were either in the garage or on the porch.

Most of my life I've kept scented products out of the house. The other day I bought some foot cream and forgot to look for unscented, it was awful!

My daughter knows when I come to visit to wash the sheets in the guest room and NOT use a scented dryer sheet.

It was awful at work when anyone used a scented lotion I could tell it from 6 feet away. I get nausea and headaches around scents.

What's weird is I smoke and that doesn't bother me although I have been around some smoke that does. Must have to do with brand.

Take care,
    Susan07

P.S. Anyone for wearing gas masks?
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

A year ago I started waking up with BP of 180/110 and pulse of 130. I blacked out once for a few seconds. My eyelids swelled. I felt like I could cry any second. I also had other neuro symptoms. As soon as I, not the doctors, figured out the cause I hooked up two air purifiers. They helped so much that I thought I was experiencing a miracle. I believe I was transcending into full blown MCS. It was caused by an air freshener stick.
  10. wrthster

wrthster New Member

How does the doctor check the P450 phase I and II liver detox pathways? That is one I never heard of before. Is there anyway to correct this? Also, I thought the MCS thing had something to do with the over stimulation of the Central Nervous System? Seems like you know a lot, can you share some more info. Thanks very much.