New news to share

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shananegans, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

For those of you who know me: I'm going to be a mom! It was pretty shocking to find out at first since we didn't think it was even possible and I had long ago accepted that as a fact but here I am pregnant with my first child.

I blame it on the fact that all the time they thought I had FMS, I actually had Celiac. Celiac causes infertility. Going gluten free cures Celiac caused infertility, thus I have (in my mind) well over proven it was the Celiac disease. Basically by finding out what was wrong with me, I took away years of "natural birth control" so to speak. Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me.

So far I am 13 weeks along and am due July 7th. I still really don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I'm happy, but not quite yet excited since I had figured on never being a mom. It's a strange feeling. I just hope that my child is born with its father's healthy genes and not my defective illness covered genes, because everything that is wrong with me is all completely hereditary and I just don't want to see another person suffer like I did.

But I just wanted to share my news with those who know me, and even those who don't.
    Hope everyone had a good holiday season.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was also told that I would never get pregnant. Well after seven years of not using birth control, I was diagnosed with an ulcer but my doctor wanted to run a pregnancy before any x rays and lo and behold, I was pregnant.

The feelings you are experiencing are the same I did and are perfectly normal.

However, since I had reconciled not having a child and being comfortable with that I think this experience gave me a different perspective aboutbeing a parent. I am not saying better but just different.

I think these ambivalent up and down of moods can be said for any parent, before and after giving birth.

I also worry about my daughters and their children getting this DD as I am convinced that my mother had CFS mixed with depression. At that time everyone assumed it was just the depression.

A great movie is "Parenthood" with Steve Martin, Mary Sternbergen. It shows different couples and their different styles of parenting. I watched this movie with my sister and we were both tearing up at the ending.

Take care and glad you discovered you had Celiac so you could get treatment.

3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Wonderful news! This year I had 2 new grandsons! I am so happy for you!
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Congratulations !! To show how much doctors know. I know two gals, much younger than I, one is a good friend of mine's DIL who was told she could not have any children. I am not kidding you when I tell you she has 8 of them !! Another one has 4 girls.

I guess it is shocking for you since you did not expect it at all after all the mis diagnosis, etc. However,you will get used to it little by little and will be ready when the baby comes. You will feel it moving inside you as it grows and get happier as the time goes by.

God bless you sweetie and the very best of luck. Keep us informed as time goes by.

Hugs and blessings,
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Congratulations! How amazing to find that out, I can't imagine what that would be like! - even tho it took me a long time because of having endo, I figured eventually I would, at least.

Interesting about the celiac disease connection. I was just reading about all the effects it can have that are 'disguised'/not obvious... I think I'm going to go back to trying no gluten for a year and see what happens. I keep finding more people who have found this has been affecting them in subtle ways, from small to severe, including previously undx'd anemia and psychological as well as neurological problems. Again, it seems to be a laundry list of symptoms (including CF/FM type).

All the best to you, hope your pregnancy goes well!

6. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

As a fellow celiac sufferer I know the effects this disease can have on our bodies. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 61 but I'm sure that had a lot to do with my difficulty getting pregnant many, many years ago.

I did manage to have 2 children eventually.

Allow yourself time to adjust to this surprising news. As the baby grows it will soon become much more real to you.

I understand your fear about passing on 'healthy' genes. When I found out about the celiac I asked both my kids to get tested. My daughter did and it was negative, my son chose not to be tested.

Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy.