NEW NON-ADDICTIVE PAIN KILLER.. STRONGER THAN MORPHINE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolK, Jul 11, 2006.

1. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HI... I thought everyone would find this article of interest. Now lets pray it comes to the USA! AND WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF IT WERE NON-PRESCRIPTION!!!!!
    Blessings.. CarolK

ARTICLE BELOW ... WITH WEB SITE CONNECTION

Non-Addictive Painkiller Derived from Pacific Snail, 1,000 Times More Potent than Morphine - Now Available in Great Britain
    Nigel Hawkes/TN (Jul 11, 2006)

The venom was discovered by a teenager.

Baldomera Olivera, a scientist and professor at the University of Utah, has been working over 20 years to find a new painkiller and the fruits of his labor are now coming to pass. Available this week in Great Britain, Prialt -- or ziconotide -- is a non-addictive painkiller derived from the venom of Conus magus, a two-inch snail found in Pacific coral reefs, and it is reportedly 1,000 times more potent than morphine. According to a report in the Times UK, it is the first non-opioid painkiller using this method of administration to be approved in Europe.(Photo- Magicians's Cone snail - Times UK)

Professor Olivera, who was born in the Philippines is said to have collected the shells of the snails as a boy, then went on to study them. The venom itself was discovered by a teenager, Michael McIntosh, who started to help with the research soon after leaving school. Now, says reporter Nigel Hawkes, 25 years later, he is a research psychiatrist at the University of Utah and still works with Professor Olivera.

More...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2262948,00.html

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Tongue in cheek, she asks "Will this new discovery be available to us at a snail's pace?"

Sorry, feeling kinda loopy at this hour of the night.

Lolalee
  3. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL NOT BE AT A "SNAILS PACE"!!

WE SURE NEED ALOT MORE PAIN RELIEF THAN WE ARE CURRENTLY GETTING!

THANKS FOR THE LAUGH LOLALEE!

BLESSINGS... CAROLK
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for the post. Oh, what great news!!!!!

I hope this proves to be the next best discovery in pain meds!!!

I NEED SOME OF THIS STUFF NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will probably makes it to the USA in a snail's pace!!! LOL

Janet
  5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I am most anxious for this new drug to come to the US and be approved. If it is proven to be safe (and that is all important) I would be first in line to try it. The idea is such a good one. I need drastic pain relief now!

However, because of what has happened in the recent past I have become afraid to try new drugs. The tragic effects of some of them have shown that they haven't been around long enough. So, give me the old "tried and true" meds that have the old fashioned side effects but don't kill. Too skeptical? Perhaps. I love change, but these new meds scare me.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Gimmie, Gimme!! If they need someone to study it on for approval from the FDA Ill be there with bells on! Now, Ive got to get me a Conus Magus!

Stephanie
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Okay, what I am wondering is, How did the boy discover this stuff? Was he just walking along the beach and nibbling on every sea creature that came his way, perhaps in an effort to quit smoking the stuff that made him do such weird things in the first place? I would really like to know the story on this!

Serriously, bless our scientists. Hope this drug will be available soon.
    ((xxxxxx)) Shannon ;)
  8. serenety

serenety New Member

I do hope it won`t have the same side effect as Morphine...........that makes me really sick.
    Serenety.
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

tthey gave me ashot of morphine before i left home...i felt like a totoally normal human being....nothing hurt at until it wore off///

jodie
  10. reckabek

reckabek New Member

FIND THAT SNAIL!!!! BECK!
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who has not found relief, please consider the Guai Protocol. The Guai takes time to work, but it is a safe old med which is available OTC. It is sold here. If there is any interest, go to the Guaidoc.com website and check it out.

I was on Morphine for my pain and now seldom ever take anything stronger than an OTC NSAID and that is even rare.

Because one has to rid one's personal products of salicylates before going on the treatment, many people think it's just too much trouble and works too slowly. It does seem a bit overwhelming at first, but it is well worth the effort. It takes time and while one waits for it to reverse the symptoms of FMS, one may need to take aspirin-free pain meds. I took the Morphine until I no longer needed it.

At least, give the Guai some consideration and check out the website. The Guai doesn't work for everyone but when it fails, it is often because the protocol wasn't followed. I am so glad I decided to try it. I am pretty much reversed now. As most of y'all know, however, I also have CFIDS and that is more complex to treat. If only there were something like the Guai for CFIDS.

Love, Mikie
  12. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Thank you each and everyone who posted. I think this new pain killer is certainly something to keep our eyes on in the future.

Sure would be nice if the process for bringing it to the public were faster than the typical "snail pace" of the FDA!

Well lets all keep hoping and believing that the day will come when none of us has to suffer from either FM or CFS!!

In the meantime I wish all of you pain-free days ahead!

Blessings... CarolK
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i didn't know neurotin is made out of snail venom...and since i am allergic to neurotin...this new one may not be good for me as well..

thank you for updating me

jodie