New, odd pain....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Apr 16, 2007.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi All, I've got CFS, and suffer the usual aches and pains associated with that. Mostly in my back and joints. Not nearly what those with fibro have to deal with.

Anyway, for the past two nights, I have noticed that I have sharp pains on the left side, around the middle area of my rib cage, when I lie on my left side. The pains go away if I flip to the other side or lie on my back.

It's sort of like really bad gas pains, but definitely not in the usual area.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks & Hugs
    Twerp

2. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

When I started my pain journey it all started with chostochrodritis. I had shooting pains from my sternum out to the side of my body just under my left breat, At first the doctors thought it was my heart, even to the point of getting a heart cath. But it wasn't. One x-ray finally picked up some inflamation and small tears in the connective tissue between my ribs and the connection to my sternum. At the time I was working in a bookstore and daily lifting of 75-100 lb boxes of books for over 14 years probably injured my chest bones where the sternum attaches to the rib cage, actually I think this is more like tendons or cartilege.

I suffered sharp pains for years, now it is more like a dull ache under my left breast that comes and goes. Sometimes the ache gets more pronounced when I am sleeping and it wakes me up. The doctors think now that I have developed arthritis in the area as I have in my spine.

Linda B
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

I will try to find some more information on chostochrodritis. I've seen that term mentioned on this board before, but did not know the symptoms.

Thanks again!
    Twerp
  4. dsames

dsames New Member

I too have the pain you described, and I too have costrachondritis. When the pain becomes really intense I take a Darvocet, and my heating pad is my best friend. Hope this will work for you.
  5. twerp

twerp New Member

So far, I've only taken ibuprofen. Don't really have anything stronger except some out-of-date vicoprofen.

Like you, though, I have found that my heating pad is my buddy!

Hugs,
    Twerp
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi twerp--i just had something like that a few weeks ago, but on the right.
    scary on the left, makes you think cardiac in nature.
    is the area tender when you press on it? (sounds like it when you lay on left side, or is it just the pressure on your left side?)
    anyway, if chest wall is tender to touch, generally an inflammatory thing and you can get by with regular doses of antiinflam (550 aleve, 800 motrin, etc) for the inflammation, about 10-14 days.

if not, though, perhaps get this checked out since it is on the left, a chest xray and ekg would be prudent at least. if there is any pain on deep breath, get checked for a blood clot.
    chosto.....is usually related to the breastbone and yours sounds like its in a different area, i had tried to blame mine on chost.... also, but realized i just couldn't pin it on that.

get checked to make sure its just "a fibro thing".
    good luck---L
  7. twerp

twerp New Member

No, I don't get the pain when I just press on my left side; have to be lying down on the left side.

No pain on taking a deep breath, or while doing anything that exerts me.

It seems to be lessening somewhat, but if it does not go away soon, I'm off to the Doc.

I had a full cardiac workup a few months back, and everything was normal.

Thanks again and hugs,
    Twerp