New pain~ Knees hurt bad,..off & on ? arthritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Mar 5, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi members~
    Hope your weekend was as painfree as possible with this horrid DD.
    Yea,.. ? I've been having alot of knee pain.
    One knee more so than the other but still,..both are effected. They seem for one,..very stiff and achy in the mornings.
    Very sore when I'm getting up from positions like sitting or bending down,or stairs.
    Last night they were aching real bad and I tried feeling around/massaging my painful knee,....
    and I can feel a very tender area on the innner side of the kneecap. Does this sound like arhtritis to any of you?? does anything OTC help?
    I will mention this to my doc. the next visit.
    But what to do in the meantime?

Its not horrible. just noticably uncomfortable :)

Thanks alot for your help~
    Tandy
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

for me!

Tell me I'm alone with Knee pain??
    oh no,...don't even go there.

:) an overtired Tandy
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

It's not chronic for me but I've had trouble in the past. It's a reactive thing for me though - if I walk too much they ache and swell.

I HAVE been having terrible foot pain which goes into my ankles and lower leg. I've questioned arthritis as well.

Sorry no help.

Sofi
  4. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

Hi Tandy- I have been having terrible pain in my knees especially the one is really bad.

Aside from the stiffness the inner sides sometimes are excruciatingly painful with a burning cutting pain.

It was so bad a few weeks ago I had to bandage the one tightly just to relieve the pain. It still gives me mind numbing horrible stabs of pain several times an hour.

I started looking up things and I am wondering whether it might be myofascial pain.

No one on this board seems to mention it but I have a hunch that is what it might be. It is something that could be part of this package.

I've also had it in my hip and shoulder but never as bad as these knees.

I hope it clears up for you. Blessings....Gwen

CORRECTION: I just looked up 'myofascial pain' here on this board and there is a lot of info from others!

[This Message was Edited on 03/05/2006]
  5. shep

shep New Member

I have suffered from knee pain for ten year.

My pain is caused from not having any cartlidge left in either knee..bone on bone. I am not a good canidate for knee replacement as I have so much arthritis and am also overweight.

I have found a good medicaton over the counter called Joint-ritis. It comes in a ointment or roll on. It doesn's smell very good..but rubbed well into the knee will bring me great relief. I also use a hot pack on my knees after applying the ointment.

It is quite costly at $12.00 a bottle ..but a little goes a long way.

Hope this helps you.

shep
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Yeah, Tandy, it sounds like arthritis! I have two knees just like them!

I had surgery on one knee about 6 years ago to repair a torn cartlidge and the doc scraped out a bunch of arthritis then. But it's just a bad again. My rheumy just gave me a short of cortizone in it which helps for a while.

You might want to get an xray or CT scan on them just to make sure.

I take a prescription NSAID for the pain -- it Voltaren. You could probably take any type of OTC anti-inflammatory to see if it helped.

It's no fun getting old is it??!!!!! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have the same problem and my doc says I have rhuematoid arthritis.

I would suggest either talking to your doctor anout it or if you can't afford that I occasinally take Aleve for mine.

Although it doesn't seems to help that much.

I have heard about a new drug for R.A. and it is called Requip, I am going to see about that as soon as I can get on some kind of prescription coverage.

Hope it helps to know your not alone in this, hope it will help some, Pamela
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

No you are not alone, with Knee pain.
    I had problems with my Knees since 85, I even had surgery on the left one, to no avail.
    I do have OA, dx'd by Orthopedic Surgen, who suppected I also had FMS, and sent me to see a Rhuemotoligst.

It's not unusual, for us with these dd's to have other conditions.
    Like the Spinal Stenosis, and Degenerative Disc Disease, they are all sperate conditions, but we can have them along with the FMS, which makes Everything, Hurt More.

I walk, when I am not in bad pain, to keep the Joints , and other Leg parts, ;o] like the muscles from athropying.
    If I walk to much tho, I get Shin Splints, and then I am laid up for a few day's.

I do stretch before getting out of bed, and when the radio is playing a song that gives me Happy feet, I give in, and do a shuffle or two, lol. Just don't hurt yourself tho.

I do better in the summer, because our Community Pools open and it's Heated, so I get a lot of excerise during the summer, and not so much in the winter, but I can feel the difference, when I am not so active.

Does the Damp weather, make you Hurt more? Does the Cartlidge behind your knee, (that cord thing) feel tender and swell's? Mine sure does, and that is when the Moist Heat packs get applied,

Hope you get a dx, soon, so you can get so PT for them, if your Ins. covers it. That was the best thing for mine, but the Ins, won't cover it now, and I can't afford it.

Even the Massage treatments make them hurt more if it's rainy out, otherwise, THoes are like Heaven,...

Sorry got windy again,
    sharonk
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I guess alot of us do suffer with knee pains~

Glad I'm not alone but feel bad for everyone at the same time.
    Bruin~
    Yes,..!! My knee does feel swollen and tender behind that knee!! I kinda got scared when I first discovered it thinking a clot or something really bad!! But I don't think its that.
    I think its all associated with the accual knee pain. I'll try warmth and some kinda cream for arthritis. I heard anything with that ingredient capisian (sp?) is good for this.???
    not sure tho.
    Thank you all for your help with suggestions~

Getting old IS"NT fun!! waaaaaaaa! :(

Hugs
    Tandy

10. cathugs

cathugs New Member

i have osteoarthritis really bad in both knees. i can barely put my weight on them when i first get up from a seated position. they are stiff and swollen,and are very
    painful. i also have fibromyalgia and neuropathy. my
    rheumy told me a few days ago that i was having muscle spasms behind my knees, because they are also very painful in the back. also the insides of the knees are two of the trigger point symptoms of fibro. i hope this helps a little and hope you get some help for the pain soon.
    i know what you are going through. it can be very discouraging,but handle it one day at a time.
    you are in my thoughts.
    cathugs xoxoxo