New pain medicine for fibromyalgia patients

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cowlady, Mar 1, 2003.

1. cowlady

cowlady Member

There was an article in our local paper last Monday regarding a new pain medicine that has been created for people w/ Fibro. The name of the drug of the drug is Pregabalin. They say it will be 2004 before the FDA approves it. They say it helps the pain by 50% with the worst side effect being a little drowsiness.

By the way last week I found out I have Mono. My job forced me to go on Medical leave.
  2. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I found this medicine on another messageboard called Naltrexone 4.5 mgs.(fast release only). Raises endorphins and enhances immunity system. They said you start to feel better in one week. (Edited to remove URL)

Has anyone heard of this??
    Is this really the miracle drug we have all be looking for??
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

posting the URL's~~that's a no-no here!!
    Love,
    Kady
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry about your mono! I had it in college & it brought new meaning to the word "tired" for me. When some of our members here with CFS speak of debilitating fatigue & not being able to crawl out of bed (I have FM and do not experience that severe degree of fatigue) I always think back to when I had mono & felt that way---only at least that was time-limited for me. I have enormous respect for those here who deal with that kind of "tired" for months & years on end.

Take good care of yourself & take plenty of good supplements to get you through this, milk thistle & others that strengthen the liver would probably be good now since mono's so hard on the liver-----and get plenty of rest (an understatement----rest is absolutely essential for recovery). It is very contagious, so hopefully your workplace will not even want you to come back until you are completely well!

Good luck & hope you feel better soon!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. blast

blast New Member

Just wondering if the doc ordered a mono spot test and an EBV test (both blood labs)? If so , what were the results?
    They told me I had mono a year before I was diagnosed with FMS/CFS, so I have always wondered did I really have mono or was it just the CFS?
    Curiousity didn't kill this cat!! LOL
    Let me know so I can add it to my lists of HMMMMMM!
    Sherri
  6. cowlady

cowlady Member

Well at least there are some good research being done about possible medicine to help relieve some of this pain. As far as my job - My two level of bosses are men. They have done everything in their power to fire me. They went so far as tell me to find another job.

I wish this disease on them and every family member they have. I am very sorry but it gets frustrating fighting for what is yours.

Guys, thanks for listening.
  7. DebP

DebP New Member

Hey, really thats great news!! Someday they may figure this disease out....Ive heard of the drug also, but what is it??? Narcotic, Anti Imflammatory,??? Just curious??
    Thanks for your info,
    DebP
  8. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

IS THIS NEW DRUG A NARCOTIC OR A ANTI-IMFLAMMATORY DRUG. THE REASON WHY I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THAT I CAN NOT TAKE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS AT ALL. THEY RUIN MY STOMACH BAD. I CAN TAKE THEM ONE OR TWO DAYS THAN I HAVE TO STOP THEM BECAUSE OF MY STOMACH, AND THIS IS THE DRAWBACK I HAVE TO BEING ABLE TO HELP MY PAIN WITH THE FIBRO.

CHEERS AND HOPEFUL FOR A PAINFREE DAY.
    JANICE
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

med and also am curious about what
    classification of drug it is. I'm not
    all that hyped about a 50% reduction
    in pain, though if it gave that much
    relief in other symptoms like it says THAT would be interesting. I know I
    get far more than 50% relief from my
    current meds or I would be in bed in
    a fetal position, and in the docs office tomorrow for help. I know five
    years ago 50% reduction in pain level
    would have been welcome and probably
    enough, but since it became severe it
    wouldn't be nearly enough.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

If you get more than 50% pain relief on your current meds, please tell me what you take, so I can talk with my dr. about them, because I need better pain control!!! Thanks.

[ advertisement ]