New painting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by larryh, Dec 2, 2006.

1. larryh

larryh New Member

This one was just for fun. My wife has a bunch of paint samples from trying to decided what color to paint the living room. the whole painting is done with interior latex paints. My colors were a bit limited.

2. kriket

kriket New Member

That is the happiest tree I've ever seen. That is too cute.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Adorable. Yup, just like the trees in Wizard of Oz, but on Prozac.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

if I have this straight. You painted an exterior scene w/ interior paint? Does the painters' union allow that?

Looks quite a bit like a blind date I had in college.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

This must be what Bob Ross meant by "Happy Little Trees!"

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. larryh

larryh New Member

Lindy........ The living room is a dark blue and cream color now. One dark wall and three light walls.

I didn't think of the Wizard of Oz. I was probably influenced more by the Lord of the Ring. Watched that not too long ago. Not sure how it ended up looking so spaced out Ellie.

Rock....If you had a blind date like that you must have had some mean friends in college. Iowa is a right to work state so I don't have to join the union. Good thing since I spend more money on painting supplies than I make selling my work.

Greenbean.......Who is Bob Ross? Parts of my education are sadly lacking. I see you are a carver. Dangerous business when you are as coordinated as I am. One of the reasons I chose painting. I can't hurt myself unless I fall off my chair b( I have done that a few times).

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It reminds me of Wilson from the Tom Hanks film, CASTAWAY, for some reason. Maybe the expression and the eyelashes.
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Larry,

Look Bob Ross up on Google. He used to have a painting show on PBS. He passed away a few years ago but he would do an entire painting during the show.

He always put in at least two trees together. He would put in a tree and then paint another beside it so the first one would have a friend. One of his catch phrases was "happy little trees".

I took a couple of classes from a man who had been trained at Ross' school. The paintings are simple once you learn the technique, but they also looked simple to me after I learned how to do it. Meaning I wasn't thrilled with my paintings after I was done.

I did one of a cliff and water in one of those classes. I tried and tried to find a frame for that painting and just couldn't find anything I thought looked good on it. Finally realized it wasn't the frames, I just didn't care for the painting! I gave it to my sister and she had no problem finding a frame!

It was fun to watch him paint, he was a bit of an odd duck.

And, yes, playing with sharp knives can be a problem! One thing you don't want to say is "watch this"! I cut my thumb pretty good last week just from making a small cut in the bottom of a little carved apple. Didn't have my cut proof glove on and just thought I could be careful. Sometimes I just don't think about what I'm doing!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  9. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I had to laugh when I read your post and then saw your palette.

I use to house sit for my sis a lot when they were in Europe. I sometimes got bored and began painting on whatever I found handy. That was left over wall paper,gift boxes and etc.

Since I wasn't trying to impress anyone I just painted.

Several of my best paintings are on the back side of unpasted wall paper.

Someone wanted to buy 2 of these and I just about fell over.

I told her I would do them for her on canvas and then sell them to her, which I did.

By the way, I like your trees also

10. larryh

larryh New Member

Greenbean.........If you have seen my other tree paintings you know I am not all that concerned about how happy they are. I do seem to be stuck on trees though. I have been wondering if it is because I have Druids in my family tree and they worship trees. Actually trees can be quite complicated or very simple depending on what you are trying to do. Since I am never sure I also never know for sure what I am going to end up with. I do know that they don't look like the typical water colors, but who cares. Water color is eay to clean up after and that is a big plus anymore.

Wren..... That huge mural you have posted is great. I started out using 4x6 inch note cards and I am still working on loosening up enough to paint something larger. I haven't done anything bigger than 9x12 inches so far. I don't know what I would do if someone really wanted to buy one of mine. I started this as therapy so I could do something where I could see I accomplished something.

I changed my profile painting again tonight. I also put all of my paintings ( well, almost) on my web site at Do either of you have any of your art work posted on line so we can enjoy it?

11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I visited your website. Great photos. Look just like Minnesota. Well, after all, they're just next door.

The fall scene w/ the stone wall in front reminds me of Lookout Point at Preston, Minnesota. Preston is the county seat and the biggest town in Fillmore County (pop. 2000).

Here in LA I've worked in buildings that had bigger populations. In fact, Gordon and I worked in the same building for 3 years and never met.

I especially like your sunset paintings w/ the windmill in silhoutte. Windmills were once high tech, you know. Like the wheelbarrow, they go back about 800 years in Europe.

How do you make your hand-made paper? Do you use cloth?
  12. larryh

larryh New Member

I don't have a clue how the paper was made. A friend of mine made it and just wanted to see what water colors would look like on it. I gave him the first complete picture I painted on it. Now that one is his problem to take care of. Guess I will have to find out about making paper.

The windmill is actually a wind charger which is why it only has three blades. My Grandfather was the first person in our county to have electric lights outside of town. He was a blacksmith, plumber, well digger and farmer. He had an Aeromotor wind charger in his yard and shelves of glass jar batteries in his basement. The whole system was 32 volt. I still have one of the battery jars. So, I changed the windmill in the photograph I took into a wind charger. When my grandpa started selling wind chargers they were pretty high tech.

The stone wall is the top of a 3 story monument to the first settlers in Madison County. It looks like a chess rook with a stair way up the outside. It is about five minutes from our house. Every photo in the fall colors is with in five miles of home. The barns are all in Madison County.

13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Your photography and paintings are impressive. What kind of camera are you using?

Also, what is the circular, gothic-looking, stone tower in one of your photographs? That's an interesting structure.

14. larryh

larryh New Member

We have a Canon Powershot S2IS with a 12x zoom. Not near the camera I want, but pretty good. It takes 5 megapixel pictures, but only in jpg format.

The stoner tower is the one I mentioned in the post above. It is called Clark's Tower for the first settlers of Madison Count. Ruth and Caleb Clark. It is built of native limestone .