New Patch that seems to help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luhu, Jul 2, 2006.

1. luhu

luhu New Member

I just wanted to let all of you know that I have taken what seems to be everything out there to try to control my pain.

My last appointment to my PD. I feel he as well as other's seem to think that my complaining of pain is 'all in my head' BUT he does try and he does try putting me on new medication.

So to get to the point the last time I went to the Dr he prescriped me LIDODERM Patch's they are a non-norcotic patch, it is a topical medication that goes directley to the souce of pain. You put one patch on the area of your worse pain for that day you can cute them in half if need to.

You wear them 12 hours on and 12 off. It works like getting a 'local' shot it numbes that area of pain.
    Exsample: If you put it on your knee's it does not numb your whole leg it just numbs the nerves in that area, you can not even feel the numbness.

You can use it with your other medication and with your pain medication.

But for me it does not work the whole 12 hours.

I am 38 yrs old and have had FM for 10 yrs. I do still work 40 hours a week which is getting harder ever day. My family understands but not truly how much I hurt.

It is know moving in my hips and my ankles which is getting harder for me to walk some days. And headaches daily.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to pass this to all of my fellow FM friends.

Luhu
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Luhu:

Thank you for the tip. I may check with my doctor about it, although I recently called and asked him to double my Elavil.
    He did and I feel it helps with pain and sleep.

nyrofan
  3. leannebug

leannebug New Member

I've been using these for about two years. They are fantastic! But, unfortunate for me, expensive. My insurance sucks when it comes to meds, and these are about 200 a box. Also, you have to buy the whole box ;) But well worth it, AND you can cut them up. The patch is about 5x7 and you can cut them into half, or fourths or whatever you need.

once again... LOVE them, and well worth the money. Ask your doctor for a sample or two, and try them out!
  4. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I use these these too for my back and arm pain. I leave mine on for 24 hrs with no harm done. My co pay is $20 per box or I could not afford them because the box says they are $200. without insurance, what a horrid shame.

FYI, my doc told me to leave mine on for 24
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

this first box of them for several months as I do cut them for the finger and joint pain. I use regular old Scotch tape to tape them around the finger that is the worst, but I've also used them on larger areas too.

They are a real help for a spot or area pain, but for general FM pain they wouldn't do much unless you could afford to have a suit made out of them. LOL! I think ANYthing that gives relief in any area is worth is! But for general FM pain they would not be adequate for daily use.
  6. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

To you, Luhu--and each of you who've replied: Thanks!! I'm going to ask my pain mgmt. doc about adding the Lidoderm patches to the other things I use to reduce the pain level I struggle with, such as Ultracet and Lyrica medications..and, of course, hot pads and hot baths.

I realize every pain relief method works for some, and not for others. But each pain relief suggestion sure adds hope to those of us who've tried to 'grin and bear it' for years and sometimes decades. I went for 20 years without significant relief, so I'm overjoyed to have gotten some real help, at long last!

Thanks again, Dorothy
  7. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

These are great! My Rheumy gave me these a few months ago. They are really good in the back area between the shoulders and the hips for me. It numbs the muscle and stops the spasms! YEH!

They don't cause drowsiness like a muscle relaxer so you can still, drive, work, care for the kids, etc.

They are expensive...but they have improved the quality of my life a lot!

Jenni
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

never mind his mind is already numb....

but it sure sounds good for betwen the shoulder blades..

jodie
  9. luhu

luhu New Member

Thanks for all of you that have replied.

I am happy with them but I wish they would work longer. I have pretty good insurance with mine and my husbands so they are $45.00 co-pay normally $192.00 so I am glad about insurance.

Donnaeil I use them for my lower back above my butt and it seems to help with me walking.

Glad to hear others using them and that they are working.

Luhu
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks for the tip luhu! Unforunately right now i don't have insurance, so i couldn't afford them, but i'll write down the name and remember to ask my dr about it when i'm able to get coverage. They sound like a good pain management tool.
  11. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Hey guys - I looked up the Lidoderm patches on PPARX.org, and there IS a plan where you can get them free from the drug company if you are uninsured, or low income. I'm going to print out the forms, and see if my doctor would okay them for me. :)