New Photo====Common Loon

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Aug 11, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

This is a photo that was in the local Newspaper:

A Common Loon stretches it's wings on a lake in Glacier Nat'l Park,,,Despite their name Common Loons aren't all that common,,,

Though the Park provides a safe haven for the Charismatic Bird,,,A single loon can eat up to a Ton of fish during the Summer while raising their young,,,,,

Loons face a host of threats outside the park,,,such as human disturbance of their Nests,,,To ocean pollution,,and the the intro of non Native fish,,,,,,Their appearence and their call are unmatched,,,,,,,,,,,

Thought some of you Bird lovers might enjoy this one!,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Sis, that is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing with us.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Mickey,,,,Glad you liked it!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's the Minnesota state bird.

Only saw one once when I lived in Minnesota. It was swimming alone in a small lake and now and then would make its strange cry. Often said to resemble the laugh of a mad women.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

I didn't know it was the MN. state bird! I often see them at a lake outside the park up here called Lion Lake ,,,,Their cry does sound like a mad woman!,,,,,,S
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

love the photo, my husband is a bird man - he didnt recognise it though - not being American - but very impressed.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Glad you like it too! They resemble the common Duck,,,,But have alot more Beautiful detail to their markings!,,,,,It's really fun to see them at the lake ,,,,and then when you hear their Call it's very mezmorerizing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  8. poets

poets Member

I love those birds. My little grandson has a stuffed cloth one that I found at a flea market.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Your Welcome!,,,,I've never seen the stuffed version!,,,,sounds kool!,,,,,,Sis
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks for sharing Sis!

... I've never heard their 'call' much less actually seen one, but have read plenty of descriptions of it! Couldn't imagine what the original settlers thought when they heard it!?! likely scared to death!

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Have you ever seen the Movie "On Golden Pond"? whith Henery Fonda and Katherin Hepbourne,,,,,That Movie has alot of the loon calls in it,,,,,I never thought about the settlers being un-nerved!,,,,,,lolol,,,Good point!,,,

I Hope you are enjoying your new home!,,,,,,Sis
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

I just checked on google, there are some youtube videos with loon calls... however I don't have my speakers hooked up yet, still in my one remaining BIG box of 'stuff' to be unpacked, LOL. I never did see that movie.

all the best,

BILLCAMO New Member

BTW , a loon IS a specie of fish duck.

For those who have never heard a loon , call Bass Pro Shops. Their on hold "music" has the cries of a loon , running water , and an occasional sound of a fishing reel being used.

WARNING : If you are on hold very long , it could drive you loony ! :>)

A couple of smaller side effects are the need to go to the bathroom and the almost irresistable urge to go fishing. ;>)

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2008]
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the new info! Just imagine if you were out on the Boat and you called the Bass shop on your cell phone so you could identify the Loon call again and all of a sudden you had to go,,,,,,,,,Lolol,,,this is just a 14ft aluminin boat with no porta potty,,,,,,,I know,,,i'll stop!,,,,,,,just funnin'.,,,,,,Sis,,,,

BILLCAMO New Member

Most men & some women can use a coffee can !

Hope that's not TMI....:>) (But hard-core fisherpersons land the fish 1st !)LOL

And , BTW , if I was able to be out fishing , I'd turn the cell phone off. ROFL.

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2008]