New photo of older artwork ~~CHANGED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 6, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

GigglePoet gave me a little nudge to show some other artwork. So I posted a picture of the first thing I did in colored pencil.

I admit, I am not very fond of this one, but other people seem to like it. I would love to state why I dislike it, but I will just let you all judge it for yourselves.

It is not the best quality..... a scanned photo of the original under glass - plus, it has been cropped. But GigglePoet mentioned Victorian houses in her profile, so I decided to post this one for her.

This was one of the biggest drawings I have done, measuring 30"x40". It took me about a year to complete - partly because it was so big, and partly because I just got sick to death of it. I was pregnant too, so that didn't help. I stuffed it away and forgot it for a while. Then after I had the baby, I brought it back out and finished it. I then named it after my new daughter Heather Laine with a slight spelling change - "Heather Lane."

I did quite a few Victorian houses in the late 80's, then I switched to doing boldly colored animal's in interior settings for a while, like the "Zebra in the Parlor" and several panthers and tigers. I did a few English cottage pictures. Then I did more animals, with statements to make, like the circus elephant and a cynical organ grinder monkey. Then I finished off with a very surreal picture unlike anything else I have done. It's a picture of a business man floating away above a big city.

Once, when I invited a bunch of girlfriends over to my house for the first time, I wondered which picture would be liked the most. A bunch of women, a bunch of big cats and pretty colorful animals amongst glass bottles, jewels, stain glass... Oddly enough, everyone loved the "Floating Away" picture most. I think they likes it because when you look deep into the picture at the street below, there is a lot of stuff going on in the city.

With all that said, I will take requests for the next one to be posted.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2008]
  2. kjade

kjade New Member

You are so very talented! This is another beautiful picture!

That looks like my ideal dream home - and I love the flowers! I just love old Victorian homes.

Great job!!
  3. deb0531

deb0531 New Member

What a beautiful picture, is that a gazebo I see in the backyard? You can almost imagine having a cup of coffee and enjoying nature there! Great work. Deb
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Another Grand painting! I love the Victorian styles too!,,,,,,,,Keep posting them if you can! we all love to see them!,,,,,,,Sis
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I just love the flowers. I would love a whole canvas of just flowers like that. So pretty.
    You must be so proud of your talent.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Wow, I love this one, it's the house I've always wanted.

Do you sell these or have a gallery? If not, you should!!!

7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Awwwwwww..Bummer..I don't know why I am not getting this to come through for me. I am clicking on your name on left and still brings up our Elephant friend.

LOVE THE MAN FLOATING CONCEPT!! what a fun and great idea!
    I would also like to see the " Organ Grinder MonKey" But first...if I am not doing this me to the right steps to see the lovely Victorian pic.

Hugz ~ GigglePoet
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Try clicking the refresh/reload button at the top of the screen. It should look like a circular arrow.
  9. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Darn....that didn't work either.....errrrrrr

10. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

That's strange. I gues that poor elephant doesn't want to be cast aside. I moved the picture file to another place in my PC. Now, the site can't be linked to that pic anymore, I don't think. Don't know if that will help or not. Maybe if you restart your computer...

Janalynn - I felt the same way. After I finished this one, I did another smaller one of just iris' and a picket fence.

Nope I don't have a gallery. Don't have prints. I have sold a few originals though. I do occasionally show my work locally through an art group that displays works around town. And I had a one man show a few years ago. I would like to make prints, but just can't afford it yet. I would need to get motivated to peddle the stuff, in order to justify making prints.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and great feedback!
    After GigglePoet gets to see it, I will switch to something different. I will attempt to put the floating man up, if it shows up after shrinking it down to fit. I am afraid all the details will be lost on it.
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This looks like the cover of a picture book to me. Inside are all the different rooms in the house with animals in them (including an elephant inside a cupboard!) and a very simple story which chronicles looking for the man... or some such.

As I'm sure you know, children love simple predictable stories that connect strongly to the image. "There is the zebra sitting on the sofa." I can hear a little voice chanting a story they've heard many times before.

Could end with some version of...

"Where is the man?"

"Floating in the sky."

little arms upraised, you know

Call me crazy, but I'm sure people would be happy to spend money to have these illustrations.

Just musing. Call me crazy.

ETA: I wonder how many books you've illustrated already?

[This Message was Edited on 03/07/2008]
  12. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Thanks so much for the extra steps to help me see it. Still not working for some reason. I don't want to hold the rest of the group up so do proceed on so that others can see it. I guess the elephant just wants to hang out with me and be friends...ha

Hugzzz GigglePoet
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Mezombie gave me a great hint to use when pic.s aren't changing for me but are for everyone else.

When you are in the profile page seeing the old pic, refresh the page.

Hope it works. These are not to be missed!

Peace out,
  14. ckball

ckball New Member

Wow what a picture. I can see why it took a year to finish it. Why did you start with something so large? Does that board come in 8 ft sheets?

The foundation finally has the website up with all the donated art work. go to and click on donated art.

I love seeing your work and appreciate what goes into it, thanks for sharing-Carla
  15. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Nope GigglePoet, I will wait. Try refreshing the profile page like Rafiki said. That surely will work. If we don't get you up to date, you will miss the others too. And you were the one who so sweetly urged me to put up something new.

Carla, I had an art teacher in High School who always said, "If your gonna do it, do it BIG." The boards I use come in that size, so that was as big as I could get. That turned out to be good advise for painters, but not necessarily for colored pencil artists with FM. I did 2 30x40 pictures, then started working smaller after that. Still pretty big, but more manageable. If I work too big, I get bored and impatient with it and lose interest.

Rafiki, your musings amuse me. Sounds like you already have constructed a story out of them. Who needs a book with an imagination like that?
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This is a very nice picture! Thank you for sharing.

17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Other people.

18. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooo it worked this time..And Amazing!
    Beautiful and like looking through a rainbow..Wonderful
    4EVER. I can't wait to see more of your stuff. Your work absolutely has be be in other peoples hands. Surley there is someone out there would take the management of selling your work over intil you get on your feet..I know..what about consignment!
    So glad this finally came through for me and thanks so much for waiting.

NEXT PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya..GigglePoet
  19. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I absolutely love it! Seriously! I wish I could do art work like that. I would buy it if I could,really. It is lovely and the colors are wonderful! Oh,I wish I had such talent. I admire artists,I really do. I love to write,that is my outlet. I wish I could find someone to come to my home and just use my walls as a canvas and paint away. Seriously,I would love murals and such all over.
    Thank you for sharing your work,it really made my day!
  20. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Ok, I'm sorry, none of my beeswax!

I have been self employed in creative endeavours and this kind of thinking is hard to shake. I'm also always trying to figure out how I could support myself again but I haven't spent thousands of hours creating amazing art. Bummer!