New Pic Guess Where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 5, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Way back in 1993,when I was in better health I was in this country on holiday & actually walked thro this path & the scenery was absolutely amazing.Can anyone guess which country & what the path is called??
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Somewhere in Ireland??
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,you're in the right country.Ireland is quite like Scotland in that both have beautiful scenery.

I'll give out a hint shortly.
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh I'm glad I live here in Scotland.I don't think I could cope with very warm weather.When we get some good weather in the summer my Fibro seems to get worse,so there's no way I could cope wi the desert temperatures.Plus the scenery is not too bad here as well.Just wish I could get this Fibro under control so I could explore the Highlands.

BTY-this path is in Southern Ireland.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Any chance it's the Dingle Way, in County Kerry, southwestern Ireland?
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

but I have several records of Irish music w/ a photo just like this on the cover.

Me great-great grandfather was from Ireland. Maybe he walked down this very road. His last name was Reburn which is really a Scottish name, so his family must have come from Scotland.

Therefore, Paul, ergo Erin go bragh, we might be related. Pass me a kilt and a thistle.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You're killing me posting pics of the few places on earth I really want to go to, but have yet to visit!!!!

Just beautiful.

Nancy B
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Don't know but it looks just like a very scaled down and safe version of the going to the sun road in Glacier park!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's very Beautiful!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

It's in County Kerry,not Dingle Way tho.It's just outside the tourist town of Killarney & this path cuts thro the local mountain range called McGillycuddy Reeks,Twas said to have been an old smugglers route many years ago.Anyone that does a google on the mountains may get the answer.It's called The Gap of ******.

rock,I've got Irish in me somewhere too,My mum's grandparents came from the Donegal area.
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thought of Ireland when I saw it but I'm too late, anyway didnt have any idea of where.

My grandfathers parents were Irish, his granny was called Sibheena O'Flaherty (wrong spell).....dont know if they came here in the potato famine but loads of Irish in Scotland.

I dont like the heat either Paul but the constant dampness and rain does my bones in too.

11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Is it the Wishing Bridge in the Gap of Dunloe? Where the River Loe flows through the Gap? Whereever it is, it is beautiful.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hey; looks like you found it! Type in "Gap of Dunloe" on Google Images. I couldn't find anything about the name of the bridge, though, master sleuth.

Here's a good picture of the Gap:

Maybe Paul will take us all on a trek through the Dingle Peninsula, and we can stop at Irish pubs for some live music and a pint of Guinness. Of course, a pint of Guinness would probably kill me.

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  13. elliespad

elliespad Member

Another view mentioning the Wishing Bridge:

And another view:

14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,the scenery is pretty amazing isn't it.Thanks for those additional links.Wish I was back there again.
    I think I owe you both a pint of Guinness,we'll meet at Kate Kearney's Cottage(yeh,it has a bar) at the start of the Gap & I can pay my debt to you both.You might want to try a pint of Murphy's tho,it's brewed in Cork & is quite popular in this region of Ireland,personally I think it tastes better than the Guinness.
    Here's what Wikipedia says:

The Gap of Dunloe (Irish: Bearna an Choimin) is a narrow pass through the Macgillycuddy's Reeks mountain range near Killarney, Ireland. It is also a popular tourist attraction. It begins at Kate Kearney's Cottage and ends with a descent into The Black Valley, a distance of approximately 7 miles. As one travels through the Gap from Kate Kearney's cottage five small lakes are passed: Coosaun Lough, Black Lake, Cushnavally Lake, Auger Lake and Black Lough respectively. This lakes are connected by the River Loe from which the gap gets its name. Between the first two lakes is an old arch bridge called the 'Wishing Bridge' so named because wishes made while upon it are destined to come true.

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Judging by the photo, it looks like I could ride my scooter over the Wishing Bridge and through the Gap of Dunloe. Did you have good weather when you hiked it?

I love the sound of Kate Kearney's Cottager. Is Murphy's a stout also?

16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It does look spectacular. Judging by the photo, it looks like I could ride my scooter over the Wishing Bridge and through the Gap of Dunloe. Did you have good weather when you hiked it?

I love the sound of Kate Kearney's Cottage. Is Murphy's a stout also?

17. paulmack

paulmack New Member

yeh,Murphy's is a stout also,Too be honest we only walked a little of the Gap,we actually took our motors thro the gap but it's not really suited for cars,it does the local horse & cart guys out of business you see & they kinda block the entrance to the gap with their jaunting cars.It's much more suited to scootering or hiking.
    Weather wasn't too bad,we stayed in Killarney for 3 nights in a B&B & it was amazing.Played golf at Killarney golf & Fishing Club & the backdrop is the Lakes of Killarney,spent most of the time looking at the views than concentrating on the golf,well that's my excuse for my poor golf,LOL.
  18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My niece and her partner live very near to here. I loved seeing the photo. It is not too far from the town is it. They live about 3miles up the same hill from town.

Love Annie cromwell

Paul, how are the housing prices in the Forres area these days? How we wish we had bought the house we weree renting there-it would have been 84 thousand pounds 15 years ago. Lovely bungalow within a ten minute walk of town.

19. paulmack

paulmack New Member

yeh,Killarney is a beautiful place,I shudder to think what the price of property is there these days.Loads of things to do & see there(oh I nearly forgot,to drink as well,LOL),with Muckross House,the Lakes & Ring of Kerry.

In Glasgow you'd be struggling to get a semi-detached 2-bed home for less than £100,000 these days.Not too sure about Forres but property prices have went thro the roof here in the past 10 years.BTY I bought some supplements online 4-weeks ago & would you believe I got 1.96US$ for my £,but don't think it's as high as that now.
  20. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

any midgies there???

My brother is looking to do a walk in summer and is fed up with the west highland way midgies.