New Pic Guess where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 28, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi to Elliespad et al.Good Monday morning to you all.
    Guess the name of the building in my profile.Hope it's not too easy.Clues to follow if needed.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Neato pic, looks like a castle with cfs.

clues?

karen
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

A Castle with Vertigo
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and drums play if we get the right answer?

Is it not too far from Aberdeen?
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,it's certainly a castle.
    Yes Elliespad,it does look like a Castle with vertigo,lol,the smaller one looks like a mini Leaning Tower Of Pisa.I'm reckoning you wouldn't go to the top of this castle with your fear of heights.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

It's not in the Shire of Aberdeen,Aberdeenshire I mean.
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Is it possible that the tower to the right only appears to be tilting? But is actually straight?
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I've actually visited this Castle & can't recall the Tower to the right being tilted,it may be but I can't remember,just put it down to the Fibro fog,lol.

Any clues needed???
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

YES, a clue would be good.
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I'm sorry if you've all been checking out for Scottish Castles,but this Castle is not in Scotland,sorry about that,lol.
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Looks like Blarney Castle in County Cork, Ireland.
    I remembered that you had been to Ireland, so I looked up Irish castles. That's a beautiful medieval castle. Looks a bit like the castle in Monty Pythons's Holy Grail, but taller!
  12. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Lol! I was just reading up on the Blarney Castle where the world famous Blarney Stone is located. Good job Ken! Thanks for sharing the pic Paul, love learning some history on your castle pics! Kim :)
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

hi Kim,glad you liked the pic.The history of some of these places is amazing.Was on holiday in Ireland in 1993 & this was a must-see as it's one of the most famous places in Ireland.
    Yeh Ken,well done.The famous Blarney Castle,home of the Blarney Stone,just outside the city of Cork.Yes,I've been to the top of the Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone,it's supposed to bestow the "gift of the gab" or eloquence to those who kiss the stone.My next clue was gonna be that I think Rock may have visited the Blarney Stone at one point,lol,thereby explaining his supreme eloquence with words.
    Check out the new pic to see the scene at the top,BTY,the steps to the top were very precarious.
    Wikipedia says:
    Blarney Castle is a medieval stronghold in Blarney, near Cork, Ireland. It is near the River Martin.

The castle originally dates from before AD 1200. It was destroyed in 1446, but subsequently rebuilt by Dermot McCarthy, the King of Munster. It is currently a partial ruin with some accessible rooms and the battlements. At the top of the castle lies the Stone of Eloquence, also called the Blarney Stone. Tourists visiting Blarney Castle may be positioned upside-down and kiss the stone, which is said to give the gift of eloquence. Photographs are taken of the "magic moment". There are many legends as to the origin of the stone, but some say that was the "Lia Fail" or the magical stone Irish kings were crowned upon.

Surrounding the castle are beautiful and quite extensive gardens. There are paths touring the grounds with signs pointing out the various attractions such as several natural rock formations which have been given fanciful names, a Druid's Circle, a Witch's Cave and the Wishing Steps. A newer mansion in the park, Blarney House which was built in Scottish baronial style in 1874, is also open to the public.

[This Message was Edited on 01/29/2007]
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you liked the pic & the history.Thanks for the compliment,yeh that's me alright:"full of old blarney",lol.
  15. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi again, thanks for all of the interesting info. Maybe someday I will get to see the Blarney stone. I may be a little hesitant on kissing it though! Lol! Kim :)
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,i love looking at these old pictures of Castles,makes me want to go back to Ireland.You'd definitely love a trip there.They now use Euros in Ireland,when I was there several times in the 90's the currency used to be Irish punts.I think my next career once I get this Fibro sorted could be a History teacher,well that's after I do a stint as a Scottish travel agent.Maybe I could just be an historical travel agent,lol.
    Know what you mean about kissing the Blarney Stone though,would you believe you have to lie on your back & your head suspends over a gap while attempting to kiss the Stone,no wonder I've so much problems with neck pain,lol.
  17. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Historical travel agent-perfect!! Lying on your back and suspending over a gap, hmmmm....Not too sure about that. The chitchat board has been very interesting today. Glad there are those of you who start these fun topics. I posted on your cliche thread too. Well, I am off to pick up my little girl from Kindergarten and then off to gymnastics we go (for her, not me-Lol!). Talk to ya soon, Kim
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Lost my internet connection for a while.

So you've kissed the Blarney Stone, Paul?
    My friend, Kelly, whose grandparents are from Ireland, used to joke that you better not kiss the Blarney Stone, because at night, little boys pee on it. Sounds like an urban legend to me!

Fascinating history to the Blarney castle, indeed.

I like the historical travel agent job, Paul. That sounds perfect for you.