New Pic Guess where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Feb 3, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,check out the new pic in my profile.Its a picture of a strange but striking building.Guess where & the name of the building.Clues to follow if needed.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I got it. It is DEFINATELY more VLASSIC than classic. Will let y'all chew on this a while. I got places to go and things to do.
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I guess I owe you another prize.How about Champagne lunch for 2 at the top floor of this building,oh sorry forgot,you don't like heights,lol.
    I'll need to think of another prize.

I'll let this run for a little longer but this building is in London & it's informal name is something you would get from McDonalds.

Howabout that Elliespad,do you fancy a jar of these for your prize,haha.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Why, it's the Gherkin Building in London. On Google Images, check out the Park Towers in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The shape should look familiar.

I found another neat picture of the Gherkin here:

For a prize for Ellie, how about tea and cakes at Harrod's?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,The Gherkin Building in London,I just checked out those Park Towers in Dubai & there is definitely a striking resemblance.

Wikipedia says about The Gherkin:

30 St Mary Axe is a building in London's main financial district, the City of London. It is informally known as "The Gherkin", and sometimes as The Swiss Re Tower, Swiss Re Building, Swiss Re Centre, or just Swiss Re, after its owner and principal occupier. It is 590 ft (180 m) tall, making it the 2nd tallest building in the City of London, after Tower 42, and the 6th tallest in London as a whole. The design is by Pritzker Prize winner Sir Norman Foster and ex-partner Ken Shuttleworth and Arup engineers. It was constructed by Skanska between 2001 and 2004.

The initial plans for the Building was notable for its highly unorthodox floor plan, which resembled — some would argue — a slice of a pickle. The sub-editors at The Guardian newspaper coined the term, erotic gherkin,[2] for the building.
    Although the original owners abandoned this plan, the nickname has stuck.

Yes Ken,tea & cakes all round at Harrods for you & Ellie.
    PS I actuallu don't mind those gherkin thingys in my McDonalds,haha.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but it is phallic!

I'm not sure the McDonald's in the states serve gherkins with anything.

It's neat that London has kept its buildings fairly short. I wonder what the tallest building in London is.

Did you know, Paul, that we have the actual London Bridge in western Arizona (the 1800s bridge, anyway)? It's the second biggest tourist attraction in Arizona, after the Grand Canyon.
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,all our McDonalds burgers come with a few slices of gherkins,I thought this was an American thing as its the only time anyone over here eats them.
    Not unless they secretly manufacture them at the Gherkin Building & this is the only way of getting rid of them,haha.
    A lot of people don't actually like them & the first thing they do is to open the burgers & throw away the pickled gherkins although you can get them made up without them,but most people can't be bothered to wait.

Will check the Arizona Bridge out on Google later Ken,sounds interesting.

elliespad,i'll leave the prize up to you:tea at Harrods or a jar of pickled gherkins,haha.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2007]
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Was just checking out the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.What a fascinating story!!
    This city was of course founded by
    Robert Paxton McCulloch (May 11, 1911 – February 25, 1977) who was an American entrepreneur most notable for McCulloch Chainsaws and purchasing the original London Bridge and moving it to one of the cities he founded Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
    Now that guy must have some Scottish heritage with the names Robert & McCulloch.
    Enjoyed reading up on that.

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well, McD's hamburgers do come with a pickle in the states, but I'm not sure if they're gherkins or not. Are you a Wimpy's fan? I used to eat at Wimpy's in London.

I didn't realize the McCullough was the same one as the McCullough of chainsaw fame. I've never been to Lake Havasu City, but always wanted to walk across the bridge. He must have been quite the eccentric. Must be part of the Scottish character!

Have you explored online using Google Earth yet? It's a great software program that you can download for free. You can look at cities and landscapes in 3D, and the satellite images are pretty amazing. I just found the London Bridge on it. I'll bet you could find your house and the park near you on it.

10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Actually prefer Wimpy burgers to the McDonalds ones,love the diced onions & tomato sauce that come with them.Luckily we have both of them in the town I stay,but overall in Scotland Wimpys are nowhere as near popular as Big Macs.
    Used to have the Google Earth downloaded on my old PC but I've had this one for about 5 months & haven't downloaded it yet.Did try to get a really close shot of my home town but I don't think my area was covered.Do remember getting closeups of Glasgow City Centre tho & could see the Office where I worked.
    Ah well,time for bed,chat later,as they say over here,all the best ,or aw ra best,lol.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Pickled Gerkins. I think I'll take the pickles. One of my kids asked why we never get pickles. I realized I have NEVER once in my life bought a jar of pickles! Can you believe it? No reason why not. I'm not a pickle LOVER, but not a hater either. Apparently BOTH my kids LOVE pickles. Who knew?

So, yeah, I'll take the Pickles :)