New Pic Guess where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Feb 14, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,check out my profile for a new pic.This picture is of a famous historical building just outside Glasgow.
    I visited this place about 25 years ago(can't believe it's that long since I visited this place considering it's only about 6 miles from my home) as part of a School educational trip.If you need any clues just let me know.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've been looking through your neighborhood for hours and I can't find it. HELP !!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Not much of a building compared to some of Glasgow's spectacular historic sites. Is that the front or the back?

Looks very utilitarian, like a factory. Perhaps illumination will come to me.

Here is a riddle for you. (I modified it to make it Scottish.)

How many chocolate bunnies can a man wearing a kilt put in an empty easter basket?

4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I think I know. NONE. Otherwise the basket would no longer be empty.
  5. rockgor

Correct answer is one. After that the basket is no longer empty. Haha

Paul, your question is really unfair. When I was in school we never took field trips to Scotland. We did visit the local dairy and the sewer plant tho.
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

that actually you are right Rock. But you tricked me. Tried to throw me off with that Kilt, and chocolate, and it being Valentines Day, I just got all vaclempt.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sorry couldn't get a clue to you earlier.
    A famous Scottish explorer was born here & this is the building which now exists as part of his Heritage Centre.
    "I presume" this clue will be sufficient,lol.
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

You had me. I wasted over an hour looking at "crofts" (I learned something at least) and granaries near Glasgow. I still haven't found a confirm picture. bill
  9. rockgor

but perhaps it's the home of Sir Henry Stanley who found Livingston in darkest Africa. I will keep looking. (Just as Stanley did.)
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you found that won to be a toughie,lol.

Hi dncnfngrs,yeh that's the same building in your link.To be honest I was very surprised at how little reference was made to the David Livingstone Centre on the net & especially how few photos there were.
    The best ones I came across was on Flickr & on the link below.
    If you go to the Flickr website & search on David Livingstone Centre you'll get several good shots of it but it didn't allow me to download these pics as they were Infra-red or something,whatever that means,lol.

There are also a few good photos of the centre on the link below,which includes photos of the Centre today,with pics of his home,the Mills where he worked & the Visitor Centre as it is today.The facilities certainly look much more impressive than when I was there many years ago.I think I should make a note to visit the Centre this summer seeing as it's only 20mins away from my house in the train.

I think I know why you all found this so tough:the correct spelling of centre is as stated,not the American way,center,lol.Maybe thats why you found so few references to the David Livingstone Centre.
    Hope you all enjoyed it.

The link is:

[This Message was Edited on 02/23/2007]
  11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I think you just about won that one so very well done.The first prize includes an all expenses paid expedition to Africa,how about that,lol.

Wikipedia says about Dr David Livingstone:

David Livingstone (19 March 1813 – 1 May 1873) was a Scottish Presbyterian pioneer medical missionary with the London Missionary Society and explorer in central Africa. He was the first European to see Victoria Falls, which he named. He is perhaps best remembered because of his meeting with Henry Morton Stanley, which gave rise to the popular quotation, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"

David Livingstone was born on 19 March 1813 in the village of Blantyre, South Lanarkshire,Scotland, into a family believed to be descended from the highland Livingstones, a clan that had been previously known as the Clan MacLea. He first studied Greek, medicine, and theology at the University of Glasgow and while working in London, he emulated the example of another Scot, Robert Moffat, and joined the London Missionary Society (LMS), becoming a minister.

Here's a wee story about life in the village of Blantyre,I don't know if it's true but will give you a chuckle.

About 200 yards from the David Livingstone Centre is a pub called the Village Bar(that bit is true,just next to the railway station),& no I've never frequented it.Now it's been heard on many occasion for the menfolk of Blantyre to say to the wife:
    "I'll awa for a wee walk,"to which the wife would wryfully reply:
    "Aye,to the Village Bar,'I presume'?????".LOL

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2007]
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It looks like a distillery-Glenfidich? Bells whiskey...

Your pages have come through very large for some reason.

Annie Cromwell
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Annie,I think the large size of this thread is something to do with the abnormally large website I posted above for the David Livingstone Centre.I tried to break it up but then the link doesn't work.
    Yeh,you're right it does look like a Whisky Distillery Building,haven't visited one of those but would love to go to the Glenlivet Distillery,home of my favourite malt whisky.
    I think,from memory??,that the conical-shaped buildings that attach to the 3-storey building were in fact stairwells that led to the tiny houses above.
    The building was in fact known as Shuttle Row used to house many families in one-roomed houses,including the Livingstone's.Many of these families worked in the local Blantyre Cotton Mills(employing 2000 workers at one time) which ran along the nearby River Clyde.The Mills are no longer there but have been landscaped & there are many beautiful walks now along the River Clyde.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Good game. Sorry I missed it. I've had a very bad cold this week and haven't been online much.
    Your pic makes me want to read more about Livingstone's travels in Africa.

Ever see the movie, Mountains of the Moon, about Burton and Speke's attempts to find the headwaters of the White Nile?
  15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Probably just as well you didn't play the game,no doubt you would have used your sleuthing skills to good effect & got it,lol.
    Seriously tho,sorry to hear you've not been too well this week,hope you're on the mend now from that heavy cold.
    Haven't seen the Mountains of the Moon movie,but it has also put me in the mood to read more about Livingstone's travels,sounds quite fascinating.Must try to check it out the next time I'm in the library.