New Pic Guess where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Mar 3, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,got a new stunning pic in my profile for you to check out??
    What do you think?
    Not a pic of a castle this time,but this is a view from a castle.
    Can you guess which one & can you guess what the name of the prominent building in the middle of the pic??
    Have fun.
    Ps Rosie will definitely know this one & Ken may have visited them on his Scottish travels.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

ma bairn styes roon aboot, quaint wee toon.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I don't know but oh my it is sooooooooooooooooooo beautiful! It is breathtaking!

4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Another stunning picture!! Could that be the William Wallace monument in the middle of the picture? That's my guess. :) Well, if you are sleeping, I guess we will find out tomorrow. Kim :)
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

No time to look for it tonight, alas, but the picture is gorgeous and looks awfully familiar.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here's my uneducated guess: St. Andrews Cathedral.

Hoots Mon.

7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Also, I was wondering if it is the view from Stirling castle. Just a guess, Rock is probably right about the cathedral. Not really getting why there is a "guffaw" on the monument reference. Probably talk to ya tomorrow Paul. Kim :)
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Well done Kim,it certainly is The William Wallace Monument,as viewed from Stirling Castle.You've passed the Scottish identity test & can now be considered an Honorary Scot,lol.
    Not sure either about the "guffaw",must refer to a pic awfully similar to the Wallace Monument.
    Haven't actually visited the Monument but can vaguely remember visiting Stirling Castle with my parents when I was about 10,of course these things didn't really interest me much back then,much more interested in playing football at that age,oh & when do we get our picnic,lol.
    The town of Stirling in Central Scotland as steeped in rich history & was at the heart of many battles many years ago.
    This 220ft high monument was completed in 1869 and sits on a prominent hilltop overlooking the beautiful town of Stirling.It was from this position in 1297 that William Wallace watched the more powerful English army approach before leading the Scots into the Battle of Stirling Bridge.The Scots emerged victorious from this Battle & therefore this location is a stunning & fitting position for the national monument of William Wallace.
    Wallace was eventually captured by the English in 1305 & transported to London where he was found guilty of treason & subsequently hung,drawn & quartered.
    You all may recall the film Braveheart,produced & directed by Mel Gibson who also plays Wallace,& may remember him screaming "freedom" at the end as he's being tortured to death.
    Further info & pics of the Monument & Stirling Castle can be got at the following links but if anyones interested there are thousands of beautiful pics on both on Flickr.The links are:

Hope you all enjoyed,I certainly loved going over some of my Scottish history.
    Here's a piece of trivia for you:
    In 2003 William Wallace was voted the tenth "Most Scottish Person in the World" by the readers of The Glasgow Herald under his cinematic nickname, Braveheart.

9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Good afternoon to you in Scotland! Yes, I do remember the movie Braveheart. The ending of that movie is hard to forget, very, very intense and disturbing.

His story is fascinating. Thanks for telling me when the monument was completed, somehow I missed that in my research. The pictures are amazing. Scotland has such an interesting history.

So, I get an all expenses paid trip to visit the castles of Scotland-LOL! Hope you have a great evening, have you been feeling well? Kim :)
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,doing not bad,just the usual wi the fibro.
    Yeh,I'll allow you an unlimited expense account when you come to visit our castles,lol.How does that sound???
    I'm sure you'll have no problem in finding things to buy,I know you girls have expensive tastes,lol.
    Have a great day Kim,bye for now.
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Unlimited expense account, oh now you are in trouble! Lol! Wouldn't that be fun!

Hope you had a good evening. We (my family) have to go to San Diego (1 Hr. south) for dinner with more family. I already came home and put back on my pj's after having to run an errand or two. A nap sounds lovely, oh well, I am looking forward to seeing my two sister-in-laws. (That's whose b-days we are celebrating). Then I will come home and crash when the kids go to bed.

So you said you are doing okay, I hope so. I bet you are one who does not complain much, so hmmmm.... I hope you really are doing fine.

Have a fantastic day tomorrow! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  12. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I find them very uplifting to the heart. Eye candy.

Thanks Paulmack
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The William Wallace Monument from Stirling Castle, eh?
    I didn't get a chance to see that on my travels through Fair Scotland.

Beautiful picture.

14. sues1

sues1 New Member

Scotland is beautiful. I enjoy the pictures.

15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thats' a beautiful photo, my daughter lives in Stirling and moved to another house in Feb but the previous one had views over to Wallace's Monument and the Castle.

Stirling is only 15mins by train from Falkirk and I go there often, love Stirling, it's so historical looking and quaint and better shopping than Falkirk.

Love Glasgow too but unfortunately havent been there for 2 years, just cant make it but hope to return again this year.

16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,would love to stay in Stirling,seems to be a beautiful town,your daughters very lucky.
    I'm with you on the Glasgow thing,don't get to the city centre as much these days myself.Used to love shopping for clothes & getting a pub lunch,but its just too much effort these days.