New Pic Guess where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Mar 24, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,have a new pic in my profile for you to check out.I don't know if this will be easy or not as some of you may have came across it while checking out my previous "guess where's."
    Anyway,we'll soon find out,lol.Not a castle this time but it is quite a well known location in Scotland.
    I went here on a school trip many moons ago,hehe.
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I don't know..... but it sure looks relaxing and quiet.

love to all, Ann
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but I wanted to go there, now of course I cant because cant do stairs anymore.

Brilliant piece of history.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Ann,yeh,it's a beautiful & relaxing place to visit & there are some wonderful walks & hikes around this area.

Rosie,know what you mean about the stairs.I visited it last year & the stairs really tired me out.But I'm sure you can park in the village as I think there's parking outside the hotel.Does a brilliant pub lunch BTW,lol.
    There's also a bus service which goes between the village & the train station.It certainly is a great piece of our history.
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Mean't to say,I hope you get to bed early tonight.Don't forget our clocks go forward 1 hour,lol.
    Gee,that means we lose an hour,as if our sleep patterns are not bad enough,hehe.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Old Chap.

Somebody just sent me a little video of some fellow who might be from you neck of the woods. Name is Sean Lamont; plays ball or something.

7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hoots mon,yeh I think he used to play rugby for Scotland in the 1990's,was quite a good player I believe.Not really my cup of tea either,more a football man myself,or should I say soccer,lol.
  8. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

It looks so peaceful would love to be thre right now.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You've stumped me on this one. I don't remember seeing anything like it in my Scotland searches. Beautiful setting, though. I'll keep looking.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Interesting looking little place! hope someone gets this!,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm all tired out for the day!,,,,,,Thanks for the Photos!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Whew!!!!! I have scanned many historical places of interest in Scotland. I haven't come across anything that looks like your pic. Hmmmm....we might need a hint when you wake up in the morning. :) Kim
  12. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Just woke up so I'm sorry I couldn't get a clue to you earlier.This is a small village on the banks of the River Clyde,which is about 15 miles upstream(further inland) from a previous "guess where",the David Livingstone Centre in Blantyre.
    The first person to Google on Scottish World Heritage Site will probably come across it.
    I hope you then "cotton" on,lol.
    Yeh Fight,the pic does look like a bit of a Prison camp,but when you find out what the buildings where used for,it will become probably become apparent.These buildings & attached buildings were considered far ahead of their time in the 1800's.
  13. mezombie

mezombie Member

I found it!

It's the 18th century New Lanark cotton Mills at the Falls of the Clyde.

It is remarkable for many things, including the progressive working conditions it instituted, particularly toward children.

Very interesting, Paul!
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Well done Mezombie,it is indeed the New Lanark Heritage Centre.
    This complex of cotton mills built along & powered by the River Clyde(in fact there is a small waterfall just behind where the picture in my profile is taken called the Falls of the Clyde) comes complete with it's own village.Today the village consists of a fabulous Heritage Centre,with shop & tearoom.There is also a hotel,youth hostel & some of the workers' housing has been transformed into modern housing.
    In 2001 it was included in UNESCO's list of World Heritage sites & is now a very popular tourist attraction attracting over 400,000 visitors annually from all over the world.
    The history of this location is fascinating:
    Undiscovered Scotland says about it:
    "New Lanark is a remarkable place. The village was built from 1785 in a previously inaccessible gorge of the River Clyde a mile south west of Lanark. Here it could take advantage of the tremendous power of the fast flowing river. The village's cotton mills, for much of their life the largest in Scotland, continued to operate for nearly two hundred years until their closure in 1968. Since 1974 the New Lanark Conservation Trust has been working to restore the village to what you see today: an achievement culminating in the inclusion of New Lanark in UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites on 14 December 2001.

New Lanark was created principally by David Dale, who ran it from its inception in 1785 until New Year's Eve 1799. David Dale's more famous son-in-law, Robert Owen, took over management of New Lanark on 1 January 1800, and ran it until December 1824. He coupled a strong appreciation of the principles and application of capitalism with a growing awareness of the importance to his business of the wellbeing of his workforce.

From 1 January 1814, when he acquired more enlightened partners, Robert Owen undertook an experiment at New Lanark that amounted to little less than a social revolution, introducing ideas like childcare, education, healthcare and cooperative shopping that helped change the world."
    It was this last paragraph that made New Lanark unique,rather than alienate his workers (as many factories in those days did & subsequently were referred to as poorhouses or slaveshops) Owen recognised that he could get more from his workers if he socially included them.Within the old New Lanark he provided adequate housing,schooling,healthcare etc which was totally unheard of in those days.

Check out the Undiscovered Scotland website for some fabulous pics & info of New Lanark.

The website is:

There are also hundreds of pics on flickr for anyone who's interested:

Hope you enjoyed.

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mezombie is good at this, isn't she!
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Mean't to say,the prize for mezombie is an overnight stay in the New Lanark Mill Hotel,howabout that,lol.
    I've added a new aerial pic of New Lanark to give you an idea of the scale of the village.
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

this really was amazing considering the way workers were treated then.

Yes remembered the clocks going forward Paul and still havent

18. mezombie

mezombie Member

You're offering me an overnight stay at the Lanark Hotel? You're lucky I'm too sick to travel! Otherwise, I might take you up on the offer,LOL!

I checked out the other sites you posted. It makes me wish I'd made it to Scotland when I was able. I actually was slated to travel to your country years ago while in England. Unfortunately, I broke my foot and that ended my trip.

Maybe someday...
  19. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Phew,at least that will save me a few pounds,lol.
    Honestly,if I had to honour each prize I've promised over the past few months on this board I reckon I would be in the financial mire.
    Sorry to hear you missed the trip to Scotland,lets just hope they come up with some effective treatments for these conditions so we can get back to living a normal life again,whatever that may be.
    I also don't really travel well either,it's just too uncomfortable.Really miss going away on holidays,sightseeing & travelling etc.
    Ah well,here's hoping..............