New Pic Guess Where

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jun 8, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,haven't posted a guess-where pic for a little while,so here goes.Check out my profile for the pic & all guesses are welcome as to the whereabouts of this location.Have fun,clues to follow if needed.
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was just thinking it was time for a new pic game. No luck in my search yet, but quite the elegant building. Too bad we can't see the license plates.
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,very elegant building,good job you can't see the number-plates,that would nearly have given the game away,lol.
    I'll let it go a little longer before any clues.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

It's very uptown! lol i'm looking,,,,,,is it St. Petersburg Concert and Theater Hall in Russia?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2007]
  5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good to see you in on this game.
    Try more along the lines of somewhere in Scotland.
    Hope this helps.
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Paul,

Scanning over 500 Google images was no help, although I found an interesting ad for the "Aye-Pod". Must be the Scottish version of the I-Pod. Too funny!

Erika :)
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

modified federal style building w/ an Italian dome. Have no idea what it is.

Maybe the new Glasgow Post Office?

8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Erika,never come across the aye-pod,sounds really funny,must Google that one,lol.
    Rock,not the Post Office,but you are getting closer with the location.
    PS The Book Club on the board would be made most welcome here.
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Great guess,it does look like a bank building,but alas,not in this case.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow This one has alot of Replicas! check out the Weeping Wall Photo in Bio,,,,,S lol still Looking! this is a good one!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2007]
  11. rockgor

book club would be welcome there, it must be a book store or a library.

Oh, there it is. The Mitchell Library on North Street in Glasgow.

Pretty impressive. In the village where I grew up, the city library was smaller than our living room. It was open 5 hours a week.

Good one, Paul. Hoots!

12. sisland

sisland New Member

Building but not the Name,,,,oh well,,,Rock got it! lolol
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Well done,it certainly is The Mitchell Library in North Street,pretty close to Glasgow's city centre.Although the building looks very impressive at night when illuminated it's not nearly as attractive to look at during the day,although some of the architecture,inside & out is very impressive.
    The cars you see on my pic are on a bridge over the city's main 6 lane motorway which cuts right through Glasgow city centre.
    The Mitchell Library initially opened in 1877 at another location in Glasgow(Ingram Street) after a bequest of £70,000 from Stephen Mitchell,a wealthy city tobacco manufacturer who died in 1874.
    Due to the rapid expansion of the Library it moved to larger premises in 1911 to it's current location in North Street,& today is considered one of Europe's largest public libraries.

If you'd like to check out the history of the Library,more can be got at the link below:

Well Rock,I'm off to think of a mega-prize for you,lol.
    I can assure you it will be better than a paperback.
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Check out the link below for a slightly different angle of the Mitchell Library.

What you can see to the left of the Library is a well-known City restaurant Cafe India which was burnt to the ground in December 2006,luckily no-one was in the building at the time,thank goodness.
  15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Step right up for your top prize.
    Howabout an all expenses paid weekend trip to Glasgow where you can take in a play at Mitchell Theatre,followed by copious amounts of free Scotch whisky in The Herald Cafe Bar,both of which are attached to the main Library buildings.
    How does that sound,lol.

Ah well I'm off to bed,it's just past 11pm over here,TTFN.
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Fab photo of the Weeping Wall in Glacier Park in your profile,it's amazing what nature conjures up.You must be pretty privileged to live near such spectacular scenery.
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

Scotland is also very Beautiful! Lots of very Historical places and castles there! So i guess we Both live in Beautiful places!,,,,,
    I just happened to be born around here ,,,,,so i like to share the scenery ,,,, The Library is a Grand Building!,,,,Thanks for shareing it with us!,,,TTFN,,,,S
  18. rockgor

Great pic from Glacier Park, Sis.

I'd love to visit Scotland, Paul. Maybe find some remnants of the Reburn family. Theatre sounds great. I'll pass on the whiskey. I'm more the California-margarita type.