NEW Pic in Profile! Lab/Dog Lovers Look!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

This is my younger boy, Gorgeous Dayne...

Dayne has always been a Mama's boy til we lost our baby Moose, now he tends to cling to his Daddy...But he is still MY ANGEL and what I live for...

I couldn't resist taking this even tho I knew it would eventually wake him...It did...

Don't ya wish we could sleep like this???

Peaceful nite to all who came to see my gorgeous boy~Alicia
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My two dogs both died mid 2005 close to one another they slept together and with the cats. I have snaps of them all curled up around me, my DH often could not get a space in the bed! Thanks for nice pic. Anne
  3. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I love dogs. They are so much sweeter than most people.
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Being a lifetime lab mother and also an ex-pro-groomer, I have to say from my experience that dogs shed more due to diet issues...Improper diet equals excess shedding...

Of course labs release their coats on a regular basis, due to weather and other factors but it's nothing that a soft slicker brush doesn't resolve on a weekly basis...You could also use a pronged glove depending how dense the coat is...My Dayne has a double coat and the slicker gone over head to toe twice, just once a week, keeps my floors tumbleweed-free...tehe NOTE~the glove is plastic-based and can be a reactive issue, my other lab has allergies and cannot tolerate it...

I feed Flint River Ranch, don't do vaccines nor do I feed treats other than veggies, organic oatmeal and banana and melon sparingly...He's also a bench lab and could bulk up quick if I let him, but at 78lbs. I think he's a beauty...

Some experts recommend Omega oils for problem coats, but the "junk" in there is not acceptable to me and again, if their diet is healthy, their coats are too...Hope this helps you and your baby~Alicia
  5. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

content. Bless his heart! Also, he looks just like-I mean EXACTLY like- my yellow lab, Anya. She is 5 and the biggest sweet baby We've ever had. Gotta love them labs!!

Thanks for sharing the pic, Alicia.
    Sue
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Science Diet pet food...please read up on this products ingredients...If you could see me, I am on my knees begging you to change that food...

After going thru one boy with epilepsy and one with allergies, I researched food til I've gone blind...I also subscribe to a monthly dog journal, Whole Dog Journal, which tests foods and rates them...Science Diet is awful!!!

I don't say switch to Flint River cause not all foods are meant for all of our furry kids BUT please run away from that one as fast as you can...I used to tell my clients that it was like feeding McDonalds to your kids everyday with all the chemicals in there...Are they still using BHA,BHT and ethoxyquin too OR is it hidden under another name??? Sorry, But I have seen my clients on Science Diet, EVERY single one looked unhealthy to me...Check each ingredient and google it and also check out Whole Dog Journal, their an independent group, not paid for by advertisers or influenced by any for-profit group, they loves animals and want the best for them...

Good rule of thumb when buying pet food...If you can get it from a display at your vet or buy it in a supermarket and most from pet superstores...keep looking!!!

It may take some time and effort, but our furry kids health is worth it...I swear, my husband thinks if I put half the effort and ate nothing but what I would feed my boys, I would be cured...He may be onto something...
  7. bozey

bozey New Member

is just beautiful. I love labs. Am on my 2nd and 3rd one(a puppy 10 weeks old). My first lived to be 15 and I loved him to pieces. He was precious and oh so sweet. I love dogs, but labs are my favorite. My 10 week old one sleeps curled up to my 2 year old one. That is always a kodak moment. But, being that they are both black, the picture doesn't turn out too great. You can't tell where one ends and the other one begins. LOL

Don't you wish we could get peaceful sleep like that? Dayne sure looks like a sweetheart!
  8. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

I love labs as well.... I grew up with labs, from the time I was a baby we had a black lab, then we bought a yellow lab when I was about 6 years old. We moved, and could only have one dog so we sold the yellow lab, and kept our black lab, when I was about 8 years old, we bought another chocolate lab, so we had two dogs Shade(chocolate) and Shadow (black). Shadow got really sick and died at age 12 and Shade died last year she was also 12. We then bought another yellow lab named Mickey, she is a little over a year now. LOve them....!!!!
  9. MoosesMom

MoosesMom New Member

He's such a cuddly looking Lab. In response to the lady who's Lab sheds a lot, it sounded to me like you are giving too many baths. Labs need a bath only maybe once or twice a YEAR and a "Good Lord what is that Stink!!" bath when they find something nasty to roll in, but other than that their own natural oils keep their coats clean. You can DEFINATELY over bathe a Lab. I also agree with MamaDove on the idea that a bad coat = a bad diet. I have tried all manner of foods, very expensive and very cheap. My Lab, Moose, does much better on a cheap dog food that I buy at the Dollar Store. Most dog lovers that I tell that too gasp in horror, but EVERYTHING else I have tried has left him with a dull coat, scratching and paw biting, classic signs of an allergy. So experiment with your dogs food until you find one that gives you a shiny happy Lab. Also, I sometimes put a tablespoon of plain or vanilla yogurt on Mooses' food for digestion and coat health. Helps with the "Labra-Gas".
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I love that pic! Looks like a lab blanket in the background so I gotta figure you love your fur babies!

I have a black lab and a golden retriever. I brush Aster, the lab, about once a week. The golden, Rey, of course needs more work than Aster.

I take Rey into my craft room and turn on the shop vac. He gets all excited because he loves to be vacuumed. I vacuum him until he settles down, then brush him, clip the hair on his feet, do the nails if they need it, and by then he laying full out on his side, mostly asleep. Then I vacuum him again! Skip the middle man (carpet) and go right to the source!

I use a rake and a slicker on Rey and a sweat scrapper (used in on my horses and it has a side with "teeth" on it) and the slicker on Aster.

I also feed Flint River on the advice of my trainer and the breeder I bought Rey from. His breeder feeds her dogs only homemade food that she makes herself (she has 5 goldens, in the house). She said that Flint River was the best dog food out there because it uses human grade ingredients. Works for us.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies!
    I still swiffer loads of hair, so I
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Awwwwww, what a little baby doll!

He looks so peaceful and YES, I wish I could sleep that way.
  12. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

This fogged out MamaDove woke up this morning thinking that foggedup was bathing too much and forgot to get on here this morning and address that issue...DUH!!!!

Absotively, labs bathing limited to twice a year, or when rolling in something foreign...tehe...I do mine in May for Dylan's birthday (the spring) and October for Dayne's birthday (the fall), in between brushing with a slicker brush sometimes with GloCoat conditioner brush aid, I get mine at PetEdge.com...I used that on my boy Moose allyear cause the dryers were too risky with his epilepsy...He never had an odor and when I buffed him after being out in the rain and snow, he looked and smelled like brand new...

It's all about the natural oils and the brushing helps to produce that...

Glad everyone likes my gorgeous boy...The blanket behind him only shows the chocolate lab, but has all 3 colors as does the pillow Dayne is lying on, was Moose's pillow given to him by my sister when he got sick, needlepoint chocolate boy too...Between the pillows, blankets, pictures, candles, rugs...You name it, we have it where labs are concerned...And statues in the gardens, angels and labs...

Yeah, we're nuts!!! Thanks for looking too!
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Aster, my lab, hasn't had a bath since she was a pup. She hates it! When you pick up a hose out in the yard she runs away from it. I've tried to do it, but it just ain't happening! She hunts and dives right into the water if you give her a chance, but she hates baths and hoses! The only time I notice an odor is when her ears need cleaned. She hates that, too. Poor puppy!

Rey, my golden, on the other hand has to be shut out of the bathroom to keep him out of the tub. I used to bathe him about once a month, or when he got into that "foreign" stuff! It's too hard on my back now, but I am going to hook up a spray thing that I can use standing up. His last two baths were at the groomers and I hated to miss it!

Hugzz to all of you and all your fuzzy kids!
    Greenbean

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies.
  14. DeborahHutchby

DeborahHutchby New Member

I put a new pic of my Fox Terrier Izzy in my profile, I think she's gorgeous how about you?

On the bad days, she always keeps me smiling, and gets me out the house when I feel bad for walkies! Sometimes it helps to get some fresh air and exercise!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2006]
  15. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Michelle~Glad you were able to get a sample of FRR...Hope you will be able to feed that in the future...Just watch out for the 'gas' that usually occurs with that food initially...My guys did well but the company warns you ahead of time, it has to do with the richness of the food.
    Been feeling very foggy and unsteady lately and still the bleeding is not totally rectified...I hope you are doing well...Thanks for posting!!! ~Alicia

Deborah~Izzy is adorable...I used to enjoy grooming them when I worked...Love the haircut!