New Pic in Profile Tacky Photo from Play

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Callum, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

This is from my current production of "The Lion in Winter." I'm fairly proud of the acting in this play, but notice the obviously artificial christmas tree in background. Apparantly, these type of trees, "Plasticia Floribundus" was indigenous in Chinon in 1183 AD.

I thought it was good for a laugh - even the grey in my beard, which I spend 20 minutes applying daily, looks plastic.

Callum
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

cool picture Callum.Such fun !
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

But it's not sweet, like yours!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Me thinks you are too modest. Nothing tacky about the photo. What if the tree is plastic? The theatre is a place for imagination and magic. The Discovery Channel is for naturalism.

I looked up an image (woodcarving?) of Henry II in Cassell's History of England. You look much more regal.

Let us know if you bring the show to LA. I will come and see you and cheer.

Speaking of the theatre, just finished reading "Life W/ Lindsay & Crouse" by Cornelia Otis Skinner, herself an actor and daughter of the famous actor for whom she was named.

Lindsay & Crouse wrote some of the most successful works in the theater including "Life w/ Father, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Sound of Music".

Encore, encore!!!
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Love your identification of the Christmas tree species.

Marta
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Great picture and excellent ID of species of Christmas tree!

Marta
  7. Callum

Callum New Member

Marta - I'm glad you appreciate my flora knowledge. ;)

Rock - I know Lindsay & Crouse's work very well - I will have to check out the book! I agree with you about the magic of theatre, but really - the plastic stand should have been removed!

Callum
  8. jole

jole Member

Wouldn't it be great if we could all be in the audience? Would certainly be a night to remember, I'm sure. Loved the picture, and really wish you the best. It must be so much fun - and work, of course. Glad you are able to continue with what you enjoy!!
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm going to write a one-man show about the DD; one where I play many sufferers of both CFS and FM, and then it will be like you all ARE with me, only up on stage, not in the audience.

I can't believe I've never thought of it before...

Ideas are welcome!

Callum
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

There'll be pork in the treetops come morning!
  11. Callum

Callum New Member

I know that quote from somewhere... wait... don't tell me... on the tip of my tongue... gone!

Darn CFS fog!

Callum
  12. akanesama

akanesama New Member

I think it's great!!

-Jessi
  13. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I think it's a fun picture.. and you do like quite regal!
    Nothing better than live theatre!
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I thought I remember that quote from the film, when Eleanor replies to Henry's line about their sons banding together when pigs can fly,"--or something like that.
  15. Suzan

Suzan New Member

LOL about your tree...I am so glad you were able to act in this play...what a lovely accomplishment!
  16. Callum

Callum New Member

You remember correctly - it's also in the play. I was trying to be funny, but I lack the wit of you, Rock & MrDad...
  17. Callum

Callum New Member

Thanks for the lovely replies.

Livn - I think I have a LOT of great character fodder from this board. I may very well start asking people for their stories.

Anything you'd like to share with an audience?
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Great idea. Does Chicago have lots of little theaters? LA has roughly 100, all equity waiver.

I will be happy to help you w/ the writing.

But are you qualified?
    Well, no, but the price is right.

One of my roommates in college wrote a musical (somewhat similar to "Lady in the Dark"). Various students wrote the tunes. I wrote the lyrics.

Maybe a two-man show instead of one-man? Then you could have conflicts between dr. and patient, spouse and illish spouse, employer and etc....

I remember reading how to write a play. In the first act you introduce the characters and get the hero up in a tree.

In the second act you throw things at him. In the last act you get him down.

Sounds simple enough.

19. Callum

Callum New Member

LOL - many a playwright has been left up in a tree...

Chicago has a new "storefront" theatre opening every month or so.

I tried to write a musical. My first two attempts - a musical version of "Children of the Corn" entitled "Malachai!" and "The Lord of Flies: The Musical" didn't catch on, although individual songs such as "Piggy's Lament", "The Conch Song" & "You Twin Me 'Round" had a cult following...
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry I missed your irony!